DAW Essentials - beatiful but pricey pack from Tracktion

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

akiz
Established Member

DAW Essentials - beatiful but pricey pack from Tracktion

Post by akiz »

The first professional bundle for linux?
Ok... dont forget at LinuxDsp ;]

https://www.tracktion.com/products/daw- ... collection
sysrqer
Established Member

Re: DAW Essentials - beatiful but pricey pack from Tracktion

Post by sysrqer »

They look pretty nice actually. The delays, the reverb and the autofilter look impressive.
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

akiz wrote:The first professional bundle for linux?
https://www.u-he.com/cms/uhbik
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

The tracktion bundle looks pretty cool!

In case anyone missed it on the subject of more great commercial DAW plugin options Ardour 5 bundles from ardour.org also now include of host of very useful demo plugins from Harrison Consoles as well so now they are available in both Ardour and Mixbus. Just sayin'...

and also to clear up any remaining confusion about linuxDSP (now OverToneDSP) he does not publicize it but his plugin download zips still have linuxVST's included, I just tried the Pultec PTM-5A emulation (a high and midrange EQ companion to his previous PEQ Pultec EQ) and it works beautifully in Ardour5.

We are becoming spoiled for choice by the commercial plugin vendors..
akiz
Established Member

Re: DAW Essentials - beatiful but little pricey pack from Tracktion

Post by akiz »

So i've tried them...

Some of them doesn't show up GUI in Renoise
but they sound good.
The studio delay is great, compressor and eq (great band soloing feature) sound nice...
For 99 it's great.

Btw. u-he plugins are not linux native plugins and OvertoneDSP doesnt offer so complex kit (RVB500 is very specific, no delay, etc..)
and the mixcraft plugins doesnt work everywhere if i remember right (and they are VERY pricey)
GMaq
Established Member

Re: DAW Essentials - beatiful but little pricey pack from Tracktion

Post by GMaq »

akiz wrote:So i've tried them...

Some of them doesn't show up GUI in Renoise
but they sound good.
The studio delay is great, compressor and eq (great band soloing feature) sound nice...
For 99 it's great.

Btw. u-he plugins are not linux native plugins and OvertoneDSP doesnt offer so complex kit (RVB500 is very specific, no delay, etc..)
and the mixcraft plugins doesnt work everywhere if i remember right (and they are VERY pricey)
Hi,

Yes Mixbus LV2 plugins are designed for Ardour and Mixbus, they are not unreasonably priced IMHO.

As far as U-he, like falkTX hinted, look here: https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=424953
akiz
Established Member

Post by akiz »

Ok... i've been talking about way how they are converted, i wouldnt take them as native linux plugins because they werent developed with linux in mind. But i know about them and i use them.
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

Greetings,

If anyone else experiences a no-go with these plugs it's likely due to versioned dependencies of the binaries. This is a crappy way of doing things, it absolutely forbids the use of the plugins on another system. It's unnecessary too - IIRC we had some problems with the early u-he plugs because of versioned dependencies but abique resolved that issue.

To wit:

Code: Select all

$ ldd \#TAuto\ Filter.so 
./#TAuto Filter.so: /lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.21' not found (required by ./#TAuto Filter.so)
So if you've a compliant system, great. If not, too bad for you.

Also, IIRC the tarball was made without a top directory, so untarring the package will dump all the plugins in your current directory. Perhaps someone can let Tracktion know that that's also poor form ?

I want to support the company but I feel burned by some of their products. Their MicroSynth pack could have made some nice improvements to the original sources, but instead they just slapped on a basic GUI and made few other changes. No output volume control ?! And the GUIs aren't resizable, which is also true of the Master Mix software, making its use problematic (too little screen real estate for the number of its controls).

I want their Biotek synth, it sounds incredible. But I've failed to get any feedback from the company from my technical questions, so I'm reluctant to make the purchase without some further information. Has anyone on LM purchased and used it ?

Best,

dp
Roland
Established Member

Post by Roland »

Hi guys,

One of our users directed me to this thread. I'll get the folder in the tar ball fixed for the next build.

Also, if the plugins aren't loading, can you tell me which Linux distribution you are using. Currently I am developing and testing on Ubuntu 16.04

Roland
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

Roland wrote:...if the plugins aren't loading, can you tell me which Linux distribution you are using. Currently I am developing and testing on Ubuntu 16.04
Hi Roland,

Testing on Fedora 21 x86_64, GCC 4.9.2.

Best,

dp
Roland
Established Member

Post by Roland »

davephillips wrote:
Roland wrote:...if the plugins aren't loading, can you tell me which Linux distribution you are using. Currently I am developing and testing on Ubuntu 16.04
Hi Roland,

Can you try these and let me know if they work:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/237z1applqkfj ... ar.gz?dl=0
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

Greetings,
Roland wrote:
davephillips wrote:
Hi Roland,

Can you try these and let me know if they work:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/237z1applqkfj ... ar.gz?dl=0
Bingo !

Very nice set of plugins. I tested each one with a soundfile of a solo vocal, the presets were impressive, though obviously some processors were more appropriate than others. You guys have done inventive work on the GUIs, they're an excellent display of JUCE's capabilities.

I had a problem with the Help files not being found in ~/vst/DAW Essentials Collection. Apparently the search facility in Bitwig 1.3.15 doesn't like the spaces, so I renamed the directory to DAW_Essentials_Collection. The Help file still doesn't pop up directly, but at least now the system file manager opens in the correct directory and I can load the PDFs from there. The hashmark in the filenames might be the problem (?).

The Dark scheme is sweet, I like it, but the Light color scheme is a little too light on my system (nVidia geForce 210), the colors are washed out, makes things hard to distinguish.

Good audio quality, excellent GUIs, definitely a very nice purchase for the sale price. (Is it still on ?) Thank you for looking into the versioning issue, I think you've nailed it down. :)

Btw, are you the person I can talk to about Bio-tek for Linux ?

Best regards,

Dave Phillips
Roland
Established Member

Post by Roland »

davephillips wrote:Greetings,
Bingo !

Very nice set of plugins. I tested each one with a soundfile of a solo vocal, the presets were impressive, though obviously some processors were more appropriate than others. You guys have done inventive work on the GUIs, they're an excellent display of JUCE's capabilities.

I had a problem with the Help files not being found in ~/vst/DAW Essentials Collection. Apparently the search facility in Bitwig 1.3.15 doesn't like the spaces, so I renamed the directory to DAW_Essentials_Collection. The Help file still doesn't pop up directly, but at least now the system file manager opens in the correct directory and I can load the PDFs from there. The hashmark in the filenames might be the problem (?).

The Dark scheme is sweet, I like it, but the Light color scheme is a little too light on my system (nVidia geForce 210), the colors are washed out, makes things hard to distinguish.

Good audio quality, excellent GUIs, definitely a very nice purchase for the sale price. (Is it still on ?) Thank you for looking into the versioning issue, I think you've nailed it down. :)

Btw, are you the person I can talk to about Bio-tek for Linux ?
I'll look into the help file issue. Yes, the $99 deal is still on.

I haven't worked on BioTek much, but if you send me an email at roland@tracktion.com I'll forward it on to the correct person if I don't know the answer.

Roland
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

FYI for anyone who had been having trouble with loading some of the Tracktion plugins (or registering them, which was a real PITA for me), there is a new version available, 1.0.21.

I didn't think I'd bite when I first saw this post, but these are really fantastic sounding plugs. The chorus and flanger alone sealed the deal for me--so easy to get really sweet, subtle sounds out of them for color or a bit of thickening.
listenable at c6a7.org
Roland
Established Member

Post by Roland »

ufug wrote:FYI for anyone who had been having trouble with loading some of the Tracktion plugins (or registering them, which was a real PITA for me), there is a new version available, 1.0.21..
For anybody having issues registering, send me an email at roland@tracktion.com, I have a command line unlocker now.