A Spring Reverb plugin?

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

unfa
Established Member

A Spring Reverb plugin?

Post by unfa »

I tend to really like the weird sound of spring reverb.
The signature of surf rock, as some say.

One thing weirder than that is the fact that I haven't seen a single Spring Reverb Plugin in my life.
All I see is Plate reverbs.

As I assume, Plate being a 2-dimensional system is more complex to simulate than a 1-dimensional spring.
Or is it?

I know I can resort to Convolution Reverbs and use IR files of springs, but is there really nothing that simulates the reverbation of a pair if steel springs?
I wish there was a LADSPA plugin for that. Maybe you know one?
sysrqer
Established Member

Re: A Spring Reverb plugin?

Post by sysrqer »

I don't remember ever coming across one. I know there are some for Windows but not for us. Convolution is probably the best bet, there are some good impulses around.
barbouze
Established Member

Post by barbouze »

unfa wrote: As I assume, Plate being a 2-dimensional system is more complex to simulate than a 1-dimensional spring.
Or is it?
It is much more complex than that :D
Looking at scientific publications like this one, an accurate physical model of a spring reverb in real time seems out of reach for a longtime. :(

Thankfully, as sysrqer hinted, there are a lot IR files to grab and try :D
ssj71
Established Member

Post by ssj71 »

there are several ways it can be approximated in RT. I started working on one at one point but lost steam and moved on since IRs seemed close enough. If anybody would like to take up work on it I can show them what papers I was referencing.
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!
Frank Carvalho
Established Member

Post by Frank Carvalho »

Use an impulse response of a spring reverb. The plugin you are looking for is called something with "IR convolution". You load it with the IR file and presto - a spring reverb. See the IR file as a sample of the reverb itself. Not a sample of something through the reverb, but a sample of the reverb itself. I made an IR file of my old 60'ies Vox reverb, and it sounds exactly like the original reverb. There are many spring reverb files to be found on the web.
With such great reverbs, why would you need a physical model implementation?
Frank
Vox, Selmer, Yamaha and Leslie amplifiers. Rickenbacker, Epiphone, Ibanez, Washburn, Segovia, Yamaha and Fender guitars. Hammond, Moog, Roland, Korg, Yamaha, Crumar, Ensoniq and Mellotron keyboards. Xubuntu+KXStudio recording setup.
unfa
Established Member

Post by unfa »

I know I can get great sounds with convolution reverbs, I used TAP Reverbator a bit, but I guess it has a lot of mysteries still to be discovered.

I even recorded my own IR file of small spring reverb in a Peavey guitar combo.

Why I'm asking for a spring reverb plugin is that convolution can only do so much - it can sound perfectly like the real thing,but I hoped there's something that models the phenomenon, becasue with a modeled process, I can tweak the parameters. And hopefully I can also seriously mess that process up to get something really interesting.

Like simulatning reverbation of a 10-meter long spring pair for ambient sound design (resampling probably needed to play a melody with that).

I once wanted to simulate a thunder by layering reverbs on top of n insanely loud impulse using ZynAddSubFX. The sound was nothing like thunder, but it was something even cooler:
https://www.freesound.org/people/unfa/sounds/157133/

I'd love to see an LV2 plugin that models what springs do one day :)
Last edited by unfa on Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

barbouze wrote:
Looking at scientific publications like this one, an accurate physical model of a spring reverb in real time seems out of reach for a longtime. :(
by Stefan Bilbao! He is a big name in musical instruments simulation. He published a lot of interesting stuff like this. I wish a day in the not too distant future I will know enough about real programming to turn stuff like that into audio software. Thanks for sharing that paper!
unfa wrote:it was something even cooler:
https://www.freesound.org/people/unfa/sounds/157133/
Very cool indeed!