Plugins for bass and guitar

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Aksjodgoi
Established Member

Plugins for bass and guitar

Post by Aksjodgoi »

hi, guys!

which plugins do you use to simulate amps and pedal effects for guitar and especially for bass?

For guitar I've been using guitarix effects but it's time to find out if there are better stuff than that. :D

The hardest part is BASS. I don't know what to do with that... Really. One good thing is IR lv2 plugin (link here). That lets me apply some magic and make my bass sound pretty good.

To sum up: I am confused and do not know which plugins should I use, which effects and amps are the best and sounds like the real ones.

Thanks.
ufug
Established Member

Re: Plugins for bass and guitar

Post by ufug »

It's all to taste, but I highly prefer a direct bass sound over amp sims if you have a decent instrument. Things like arrangement and carving out a sonic space for the bass will pay off much more than any plugins will IMHO.

That said, I will often blend in some saturation or distortion to bring bass guitar out in the mix--just tiny amounts can excite the upper harmonics enough to add a lot of note definition. Any plug-in will work for that. My usual go-to is Calf Saturator. As an alternative, playing with a pick (especially with flatwounds) can have a similar effect--the attack really helps define the note (think of those of old McCartney or Carol Kaye tracks).

I don't think anything can beat Guitarix for guitar sounds. It's just flat out amazing. But bass, that's an entirely different animal, and what sounds great soloed will often not be the same sound that works well in the mix...
listenable at c6a7.org
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

I prefere to use real amplifier and microphone for this purpose.
LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.
gimmeapill
Established Member

Post by gimmeapill »

Guitarix works pretty well out of the box for classic rock bass sounds (Including that low B) - I usually just keep a simple signal path with just the amp with drive rolled off, a bit of presence and the 4x12 cab sim. Playing with a pick indeed can help with note definition, but this is far from mandatory.
What I didn't get to a satisfying level yet is the slap & pop style (think SWR, Trace Elliot, EBS & co.). I didn't dig too much as I don't play bass very often those days (hello carpal tunnel syndrome...)
If I remember correctly, nice pop sounds require tweeters and a lot of headroom without distortion. For that, you may want to switch to a quieter tube type. And as as said the presence knob is your friend here.
Otherwise you may want to check this new LV2 bass amp emulation (not officially part of Guitarix):
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=16203
English Guy
Established Member

Post by English Guy »

I use a zoom bass pedal that can emulate many amps. After all the sound you want for metal may not be what you want for a ballad. :D

The cabinet emulation plug ins on Linux do seem to be more geared to guitar, but one of them (cabinet III, cabinet IV?) does have a Bassman emulation. That was a bass amp, ironically very popular with guitarists
Aksjodgoi
Established Member

Post by Aksjodgoi »

sadko4u wrote:I prefere to use real amplifier and microphone for this purpose.
If I had one for guitar I wouldn't have asked about plugins, etc. :D
(low budget chemistry student here :lol: )

I've just installed latest guitarix version, tried to do some things with that, found that there is plenty of presets (with ability to download and install easily) aaand everything has changed.

All the time I've been using guitarix wrong - used some plugins throught Ardour and didn't get as many control as I wanted. And now everything is connected through Catia.

For bass gonna try this soon.

Thanks to everyone!
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

Aksjodgoi wrote: For bass gonna try this soon.

Thanks to everyone!
You may also try to download bass cabinet impulse responses and use them with convolver.
Just plug bass into line-input and let the convolver to process your sound.
Maybe this will be helpful.
gimmeapill
Established Member

Post by gimmeapill »

While I agree that good tube amps are still the way to go if money is no concern, I wouldn't put those cheap Line6 emulation combos in the same class.
From what I heard briefly at my local music shop, I bet you can do way better than that with Guitarix + studio monitors or good headphones.
That might also be why you find so many sellers in the first place...
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

Just wanted to clarify that I was advocating "direct" in the sense of plugging the instrument directly into your soundcard or tube pre, NOT directly miking a cab, and also not simulating an amp/cab. AKA DI.
listenable at c6a7.org
gimmeapill
Established Member

Post by gimmeapill »

This brand was only a random example amp for the price. Sure tube amps are better. But a cheaper amp will do if not on a stage.
To homerecord you don't need a 'stage volume'. And top 'stage volume' is where cheap ones start clipping.
What I meant is that those Line 6 Spider combos are apparently digital modelling amps, so miking those means would mean to go analog -> digital -> analog -> digital. I don't see this setup as being very beneficial over straight cab emulation. If you want to go the old way of recording, better use an analog amp ;-) (regardless tube or solid state). Otherwise nothing wrong with them.

But I see what you mean, I was actually miking cabinets - way back in the analog days.
That's all fine if you have an amp, pedal board, tons of cables & quality microphone (SM57 not to name it), plus some suitable space.
Still, for bedroom producers with extremely limited space and time like me (read: family guy), that's a no go. Emulation of the whole signal chain was the thing that got me back into playing string instruments in the first place.
Right now, my 3 combos (vintage guitar solid state, guitar all tube, and bass mosfet) are carefully collecting dust in a closet - as you pointed out, resale value is so low I'd rather keep them around for kids.
Actually the device that is seeing the more use at the moment is even smaller https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdEMjqok7Ok
Incredible how good that small thing sounds - I might even record it ;-)
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

gimmeapill wrote:Actually the device that is seeing the more use at the moment is even smaller https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdEMjqok7Ok
Hmm, I don't like the distortion it delivers.
As a cheap&good effects I would prefer these pedals:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO110D2ZvLk
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

Aksjodgoi wrote: For guitar I've been using guitarix effects but it's time to find out if there are better stuff than that. :D
I use guitarix and calf plugins for all my guitar and bass parts. I think that Guitarix is among the very best things you can find, considering both commercial and opensource software. Just dropping this as an example.

I have briefly used Invada plugins, they were interesting.

/* I will avoid to start discussing about the superstitious statements (XD) against digital audio or I will never keep it on topic :wink: */
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

CrocoDuck wrote:Just dropping this as an example.
Nice one, groovy and funky duck there. :D
On the road again.
gimmeapill
Established Member

Post by gimmeapill »

sadko4u wrote:
gimmeapill wrote:Actually the device that is seeing the more use at the moment is even smaller https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdEMjqok7Ok
Hmm, I don't like the distortion it delivers.
As a cheap&good effects I would prefer these pedals:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO110D2ZvLk
Nice, I didn't know of those AMT stomp boxes. I can believe from the specs that they sound closer to a tube amp than the Vox amplugs, but price and portability is not the same either.
Actually, what I like with the Vox is that no matter how crappy the guitar and pickups, you always get the same decent metal sound, which is good enough for practising on the go. Not sure if I would seriously record with that, but it's very convenient to have in the gig bag when a computer or amp is not an option.