new (LV2) Analogue Bass Pre Amp Simulation

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

tramp
Established Member

new (LV2) Analogue Bass Pre Amp Simulation

Post by tramp »

Hi

I've just push a analogue simulation of a bass pre amp to github:
https://github.com/brummer10/GxVBassPreAmp.lv2

It model the (*) Vox Bass 100 Pre Amp Section from the 1984 Rose Morris Era "Venue Series" .

(*) Vox is trademark or trade name
of other manufacturer and was used merely to identify the product
whose sound was reviewed in the creation of this product.
On the road again.
magicalex
Established Member

Re: new (LV2) Analogue Bass Pre Amp Simulation

Post by magicalex »

Brilliant! Thank you.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

I've now added a cabinet simulation, based on a modified version of tubemann II.
This is not convolution based, so no additional dependency, and the cabinet is switch-able, so you could still use a cabinet simulation of you choice.
On the road again.
magicalex
Established Member

Post by magicalex »

Really appreciate having all these new toys to play with. Thanks!
Frank Carvalho
Established Member

Post by Frank Carvalho »

Interesting choice of amp. The Venue series was an all-transistor design. That will be great for an 80'ies clean type of sound. Many bass players prefer that.
Am I right that this is the first all-transistor preamp model you have added? As far as I remember, all the models in Guitarix are valve-amps. It would be nice to have a solid-state preamp for guitar too.

/Frank
Vox, Selmer, Yamaha and Leslie amplifiers. Rickenbacker, Epiphone, Ibanez, Washburn, Segovia, Yamaha and Fender guitars. Hammond, Moog, Roland, Korg, Yamaha, Crumar, Ensoniq and Mellotron keyboards. Xubuntu+KXStudio recording setup.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi tramp!

Awesome to see bass amp sims, great work!

I agree with Frank, some classic tube bass heads would be a nice addition (ie Ampeg SVT-300, Traynor YBA-1). Do you need schematics in order to create the virtual circuits or do you need even more detail than the wiring schematics?
dsreyes1014
Established Member

Post by dsreyes1014 »

Tried adding this to my Gentoo system in /usr/lib/lv2 and Ardour won't load the plugin. It says it won't instantiate.

Edit: Nvm. It does show in Ardour but with the generic GUI.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

dsreyes1014 wrote: Nvm. It does show in Ardour but with the generic GUI.
Exact, it is UI-less. Like all my plugs I've published on github.
Here is it in Ardour with analyses ( cab enabled)
and here with cab off
Frank Carvalho wrote:nteresting choice of amp. The Venue series was an all-transistor design. That will be great for an 80'ies clean type of sound. Many bass players prefer that.
Am I right that this is the first all-transistor preamp model you have added? As far as I remember, all the models in Guitarix are valve-amps.
Yes, all is right. Just, this isn't added to guitarix, it's a plain LV2 plugin. I've no plan's to add it to guitarix, it's easy enough to use it as LV2 plug in guitarix ( or the host of your choice).
Frank Carvalho wrote:It would be nice to have a solid-state preamp for guitar too.
I've worked on the Vox Lead 100 Pre Amp, but the overdrive and reverb section gime some headache. Need to think about a solution for that first, a rest, doing something completely different, (the Guv'nor)
https://github.com/brummer10/GxGuvnor.lv2
and start from scratch again.
GMaq wrote:some classic tube bass heads would be a nice addition (ie Ampeg SVT-300, Traynor YBA-1). Do you need schematics in order to create the virtual circuits or do you need even more detail than the wiring schematics?
Well, I love to read analyses about circuits, and it helps a lot, but at least, I need the schematic, to simulate it.
Mostly, this is my playground:
http://schematicheaven.net/
On the road again.
Frank Carvalho
Established Member

Post by Frank Carvalho »

Well, as you know, I am very fond of Vox' late-60'ies solid state amps. They have a character all of their own, and have that distinctive 60'ies psychedelic vibe. So if you are looking for an alternative preamp project, why not do one of the channels (or both channels) of this classic:
http://schematicheaven.net/voxamps/mkiiipre.pdf
The brilliant channel is the most distinctive, with its "MRB" effect and built in fuzz.
I have an impulse response I made of a genuine 60'ies Vox reverb of the same time period, which sounds *exactly* like the original. Add that to the 60'ies preamp, and these amps will be brought back for all to play. Instant Sgt. Pepper.

/Frank
Vox, Selmer, Yamaha and Leslie amplifiers. Rickenbacker, Epiphone, Ibanez, Washburn, Segovia, Yamaha and Fender guitars. Hammond, Moog, Roland, Korg, Yamaha, Crumar, Ensoniq and Mellotron keyboards. Xubuntu+KXStudio recording setup.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

Frank Carvalho wrote:So if you are looking for an alternative preamp project, why not do one of the channels (or both channels) of this classic:
http://schematicheaven.net/voxamps/mkiiipre.pdf
Well, I've looked at it already, unfortunately the quality of this copy is so bad, I can't read it.
Frank Carvalho wrote:I have an impulse response I made of a genuine 60'ies Vox reverb of the same time period, which sounds *exactly* like the original. Add that to the 60'ies preamp, and these amps will be brought back for all to play. Instant Sgt. Pepper.
That's interesting, do you mind to send my your IR file?
On the road again.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

So thanks for the cleaned up schematic file, Frank.
I've tried to emulate the Vox mkii preamp, but my DK simulator failed at the preamp stage for the distorted/brilliant as well for the clean channel.
All I could simulate is the MBR section and the driver/mixer stage. I've add the vibe and the reverb section as well. You may find it here:
https://github.com/brummer10/GxVmk2.lv2

regards
hermann
On the road again.
Frank Carvalho
Established Member

Post by Frank Carvalho »

Only see this now....
Cool! I've got to check this out. The MRB section is an important part of the amp character.
Will you give the rest of the preamp another go later? The distortion is another important feature of these amps.

/FRank
Frank Carvalho
Established Member

Post by Frank Carvalho »

Got time to check it out. You've more or less nailed it, I must say. This filter sounds very much like the real amp. I made a setup with the Suppa Tonebender in front of the Vox filter, then the neutral setting of the guitarix amp (most solid state like) and then a Vox AC-30 cabinet after it, and it really sounds remarkably like the original amp. I am impressed. The Suppa TB is very similar in character to the built-in distortion of that amp, so apart from a separate clean channel, I am not missing much here. I made some presets with names like "Lemon Song", "Hey Bulldog", "Taxman", Sgt. Pepper rythm" etc. which gives you an idea of the type of sounds it can make. I would like to upload it, but am not sure where....

/Frank
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

I'm glade you like it. :)
Best place to share guitarix presets is
https://musical-artifacts.com/artifacts
You can upload the preset bank there and add comments in the description, which plugs it use from
https://github.com/brummer10?tab=repositories

regards
hermann
On the road again.
gimmeapill
Established Member

Post by gimmeapill »

For the lazies on Arch Linux, I just made a pkgbuild that gets all the new simulations at once:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/gx-lv2-git/

Cheers,

LX