Using Hydrogen to play DrumGizmo's DRS Kit

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

mtemmerm
Established Member

Re: Using Hydrogen to play DrumGizmo's DRS Kit

Post by mtemmerm »

Hi biggsy,

Are you using JACK and a low-latency or real-time setup? Or plain ALSA?
biggsy
Established Member

Post by biggsy »

Hi mtemmerm,

Thanks for getting back to me. I am using JACK but I have a generic kernel. I've looked up the lowlatency kernel and there is one available in my repositories so I will try that out next time I get a chance (probably tomorrow). Is there anything special I need to do to activate the lowlatency benefits, e.g. some magic settings, or is it just sudo apt install linux-lowlatency and reboot? FYI - I have kxstudio-default-settings installed already.

mtemmerm
Established Member

Post by mtemmerm »

biggsy,

I'm currently using local/linux-rt-lts 4.19.31_rt18-1 on Arch, using the coderkun-aur-audio repository - so my setup probably differs quite a bit from yours. I know there's a realtime config script that scans if you're using proper settings and hints you where improvements are possible, you might want to look for that. In Arch, the package is called realtimeconfigquickscan-git.

Hth,
Michaël
biggsy
Established Member

Post by biggsy »

Yes, lowlatency kernel FTW! Works great now, thanks :) I still need to work out how to sync ardour and hydrogen but I've seen other posts about that so I reckon I'll work it out OK. Thanks again :-D
mtemmerm
Established Member

Post by mtemmerm »

Glad to hear you got it working! For Ardour and Hydrogen to sync, you need to put both on the JACK 'transport'. Hydrogen has a button for it on the top of the interface (J. TRANS) and Ardour also has a button for it at the top left - it might say 'Int.'. Use it to switch between internal transport and JACK's. Make sure both are using JACK as a backend first, both can work with plain ALSA as well if you configure them to do so. Both also have Fine Manuals :D - especially Ardour's is extensive.

Hth!
Michaël
English Guy
Established Member

Post by English Guy »

Thank you for all of this. Just got Drumgizmo working in Mixbus with Hydrogen, very sweet. I was not impressed with it at first until I mixed it out into the 13 channels and did a little work with compression etc. After that it sounded great. Recording the midi input from Hydrogen was easy too.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

marcellendi wrote:Hi Mtemmerm,

Somehow the midi mapping was lost when I tried to use your file. So I made some new ones for all the 4 drumkits.

Marcel
Hello Marcel,

since this could be useful to many musicians, could you please release your Hydrogen drum packs under a free license such as the CC0 or CC BY and upload it on https://musical-artifacts.com/ to make it more widely available?
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

First of all, thanks for this! I was made aware of this effort in another thread, and it seems really exciting.

I was playing with the templates (MuldjordKit in my case), and while most things work fine (Ardour5 said they were for a previous version, but it didn't complain about anything else), it looks like I have some issues. Specifically, I can confirm Hydrogen and Ardour5 are talking to each other correctly: if I hit a kick in Hydrogen, I hear (and see the spectrum of) the kick in Ardour, and everything also works when I program some patterns and have them played through Ardour. The issue comes when I try to replay a recording: recording itself seems fine, as while Hydrogen plays, the DG MuldjordKit track starts filling in with MIDI events (dots depending on what was hit); anyway, if I try to then replay what was recorded, I get no audio. I get the feeling something is disconnected somewhere, but I suspect this should be already taken care of by the template itself: looking at the Output busses configuration for the main DG MuldjordKit track, I see how everything is supposed to be connected to the right bus (e.g., a kick), and checking the Output for each bus I can see how they're each connected to Master in.

Is there anything obvious I'm missing? Thanks!
mtemmerm
Established Member

Post by mtemmerm »

Can you try the 'In' and 'Disk' buttons in Ardour on the channel strips that don't play?
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

mtemmerm wrote:Can you try the 'In' and 'Disk' buttons in Ardour on the channel strips that don't play?
Wow, thanks for the super-fast answer... Looks like that was it! The "In" button was pressed, and disabling it got audio working. Apologies if this was an incredibly dumb question, I've only recently started playing with all these tools and evidently there's a lot I have yet to learn :oops:

I guess I'll want "In" to be enabled when recording, and disable it when I want to render it along other tracks, correct? Otherwise I assume I'll get the same audio played out twice or something like that...
AlexTheBassist
Established Member

Post by AlexTheBassist »

Rainmak3r wrote:Apologies if this was an incredibly dumb question
It definitely was!
Rainmak3r wrote:I guess I'll want "In" to be enabled when recording, and disable it when I want to render it along other tracks, correct? Otherwise I assume I'll get the same audio played out twice or something like that...
No, you won't get “the same audio played out twice” until you explicitly mess your project up to get that far. As for those “mysterious” buttons, their meaning and functionality is very well described in Ardour's official manual. Why do you noobies never read any manuals?
Being creative does not imply being lazy, stupid, or illiterate.

Working in Harrison Mixbus and Ardour on KDE Neon + KXStudio.
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

AlexTheBassist wrote:
Rainmak3r wrote:Apologies if this was an incredibly dumb question
It definitely was!
Rainmak3r wrote:I guess I'll want "In" to be enabled when recording, and disable it when I want to render it along other tracks, correct? Otherwise I assume I'll get the same audio played out twice or something like that...
No, you won't get “the same audio played out twice” until you explicitly mess your project up to get that far. As for those “mysterious” buttons, their meaning and functionality is very well described in Ardour's official manual. Why do you noobies never read any manuals?
No worries, I'll stop bothering you folks. Have a nice day.
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

Alex old chap, I think you've accidentally stumbled into the wrong forum.

If I may draw your attention to the forum posting guidelines :

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=270
nathan wrote: Absolutely no "RTFM" posts, although politely pointing the user to the relevant documentation is of course highly appreciated.
You can start a forum called 'Advanced Linux Musicians' and post RTFM all you want.
AlexTheBassist
Established Member

Post by AlexTheBassist »

merlyn wrote:You can start a forum called 'Advanced Linux Musicians' and post RTFM all you want.
There's a difference between the very basics and the tricky stuff. Not knowing the basics is, in fact, blatantly impolite. We're a Linux musicians forum, not a DAW operation basics forum.
merlyn wrote:If I may draw your attention to the forum posting guidelines
If you could read them a bit further, to the number 3, you could have known that asking a question already answered a lot of times is actually against forum rules.
Being creative does not imply being lazy, stupid, or illiterate.

Working in Harrison Mixbus and Ardour on KDE Neon + KXStudio.
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

This is the second time in two posts that I've been basically called an idiot. I'm a 40 years old guy that has been working on Linux for 15 years, and authored/maintained several open source tools: I'm not the drooling fool you're painting me as, but apparently you've already decided I am, so who am I to dispute?

Did I make a stupid question? For sure. I almost forgot I made it, though, since that happened a couple of weeks ago and in the meanwhile I've done a lot of progress, all by myself, doing my study (as I always do), and not bothering the fellow musicians, nor wasting their precious time. I eventually even ended up scripting a process to merge two different sessions working on the Ardour XML files themselves, since what I wanted to do (integrating one of the DrumGizmo Adroud templates in an existing project) was not possible (and yes, I did read the manual and several forum entries, here and in other places), and successfully used DrumGizmo in a couple of songs thanks to the contributions provided here. Quite an achievement for the drooling idiot that I am!

As a side note, you apparently chose to put "mysterious" in quotes as if to suggest I used it myself in my posts, here. Please don't do that, and stop putting words in other people's mouths.