Using Hydrogen to play DrumGizmo's DRS Kit

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

AlexTheBassist
Established Member

Re: Using Hydrogen to play DrumGizmo's DRS Kit

Post by AlexTheBassist »

Rainmak3r wrote:This is the second time in two posts that I've been basically called an idiot.
Rainmak3r wrote:I'm a 40 years old guy
This is the Internet. Nobody sees your face, your ID, diploma, certificates and such, only your userpic, your post, and your nickname. Even signatures are rarely read, though most of forum people have them. So, anybody here judges by what and how you write. If you're illiterate, you'll be pointed at your abominable writing skills. If you can't use search engines, the same happens. You asked an incredibly stupid question, and in a flash you've got an appropriate answer, along with a lot of irrelevant stuff. Get used to it; otherwise, you should look for a better version of Internet which never existed. That one with unicorns and other fairytale stuff, you know.
Rainmak3r wrote:Did I make a stupid question? For sure. I almost forgot I made it, though, since that happened a couple of weeks ago and in the meanwhile I've done a lot of progress, all by myself, doing my study (as I always do), and not bothering the fellow musicians, nor wasting their precious time
That's the cool, the right way to do that. I'm glad you accomplished what you were after, and sincerely congratulate you. This is a great example for both noobs and lamers who think that community owes them all the answers.
Rainmak3r wrote:As a side note, you apparently chose to put "mysterious" in quotes as if to suggest I used it myself in my posts, here.
Nope, it was to indicate that you didn't carefully read that part of manual (and, presumably, didn't do that at all), so you've got no clue about what and how they do.

Did you notice that most people don't want to read any instructions? Ask an Apple repair service employee about stupidity of an average smartphone user, they'll tell you a lot of truly shocking stuff. Musicians are not different in any way: they pretend to be called human, after all. So, they are usually the same carbon-based garbage, prone to the same errors dumb Apple users produce at a truly industrial scale.

Let me tell a little story, and let it be a little off the topic. I am currently hired by a punk rock band as a bass player and “The Sound Guy” (recording, arranging, mixing, mastering etc). The band positions itself as a mostly underground act, but a professional one. But… Those “professional guitarists” don't even know how to use an effects loop; they don't know why 3rd string is the most problematic when tuning and playing certain chord progressions; they don't practice with a metronome; they scoop out all the midrange and then wonder why they can't hear themselves when everybody else's playing; one of them doesn't know how to power on a tube head properly; the other one (who's more experienced) doesn't even read score! This is not to harass or insult them in any way (that just won't work since they don't speak or read any English, so I yell at them in Russian), this is to indicate that reading instructions before exploiting somebody's masterpiece of engineering art isn't appreciated by people regardless of anything. Hence the reaction.
Being creative does not imply being lazy, stupid, or illiterate.

Working in Harrison Mixbus and Ardour on KDE Neon + KXStudio.
marcellendi
Established Member

Post by marcellendi »

Basslint wrote:
marcellendi wrote:Hi Mtemmerm,

Somehow the midi mapping was lost when I tried to use your file. So I made some new ones for all the 4 drumkits.

Marcel
Hello Marcel,

since this could be useful to many musicians, could you please release your Hydrogen drum packs under a free license such as the CC0 or CC BY and upload it on https://musical-artifacts.com/ to make it more widely available?
Hi Basslint,

Thank you for your compliment. Only... I am a bass player with a simple home studio and I have no clue about how to make free licenses like the ones you mentioned. I am more then happy to share freely anything I have. So any help to make this more widely available would be appreciated.

Marcel
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

marcellendi wrote: Hi Basslint,

Thank you for your compliment. Only... I am a bass player with a simple home studio and I have no clue about how to make free licenses like the ones you mentioned. I am more then happy to share freely anything I have. So any help to make this more widely available would be appreciated.

Marcel
Hello Marcel,

it's as easy as putting inside your .tar.gz archive a text file called LICENSE which contains the text of the license.

To choose the right license: I personally suggest the CC0 or CC BY, since the CC BY-SA is a bit tricky (it's not like the GPL, since art is different than code).

The reupload the .tar.gz here with the proper LICENSE file here or elsewhere. It's easy, but if you have problems, feel free to contact me :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
marcellendi
Established Member

Post by marcellendi »

Ok, sounds easy. I will see if I find some time this weekend to make it happen :D
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

I use to use the H2-Ardour/DG setup to write or make drum tracks but was using and still using MusE for that.
I wanted to just try this setup again with the latest H2 and DG but now the mapping is off.
I've loaded the template in Ardour(DG loaded with kit and map), connected H2 and used qjackctl under the MIDI tab and connected H2 to DG hosted in Ardour.
I'd hit the kick and I get a cymbal but use the piano roll in Ardour and everything is ok. Followed the instructions again on the setting up, re-downloaded the DG H2 kits and still the same.
Am I missing something? This use to work for me but it's been a few years since I've tried it.
marcellendi
Established Member

Post by marcellendi »

Basically there are 2 places where it is decided which "wav" files is being used. First in H2 each instrument give out a midi note. This note is translated in a wav file by the midi file you load into the DG plugin. This midi file is a plain text file that you can read.

You can check if the midi note that the Kick drum gives out in H2 corresponds with the wav Kick file directory in the DG midi file you use.

All the files I shared in this group should work correctly and are aligned in midi notes. Also check if you use the correct midi file belonging to the drum set.

Hope this helps. If not let me know

Marcel
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

marcellendi wrote:Basically there are 2 places where it is decided which "wav" files is being used. First in H2 each instrument give out a midi note. This note is translated in a wav file by the midi file you load into the DG plugin. This midi file is a plain text file that you can read.

You can check if the midi note that the Kick drum gives out in H2 corresponds with the wav Kick file directory in the DG midi file you use.

All the files I shared in this group should work correctly and are aligned in midi notes. Also check if you use the correct midi file belonging to the drum set.

Hope this helps. If not let me know

Marcel
This is strange as I've never altered any xml or h2 script for this and as I've said, I just never used it for a few years. Actually this topic refreshed my memory about it.. That's why I was thinking maybe you updated your files.
I've matched to 'note' number in H2 with the proper DG midimap 'number'.

All is well now and working fine.
thanks again Marcel
torgeir
Established Member

Post by torgeir »

Late to the party, but this was inspiring! In an attempt of similar efforts to those of the OP I wanted to play around with the drumgizmo aasimonster kit and created a reaper template for it https://github.com/torgeir/drumgizmo-aasimonster-reaper. I also took the chance to combine the mt power drum kit midis and midi2hydro_pattern to create hydrogen songs for all the grooves+fills categories from mt power drum kit. Should work well no matter what the drumkit or hydrogen instrument, just stack your patterns and enjoy!
petez9

Post by petez9 »

Another late entry! :)

Reading this thread, I embarked on creating some h2 mappings for more recent kits than I could find here, and ended up writing a small script to generate them automatically.

In the hope it's some use to someone, I'll try attaching my WIP, which has h2drumkits for Crocell V1.1, DRS V2.0.1, Muldjord V3 and the tchackpoum kit, at least 3 of which have worked for me on my local system.

For anyone interested in tinkering, I include my (rough!) perl script - example usage: ./mk_dg_kit.pl dg_tchackpoum tchack_midi tchack_mutes
Attachments
dg2h2.tgz
h2 drumgizmo kits and resources for further tinkering
(11.21 KiB) Downloaded 168 times
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

petez9 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:17 am Another late entry! :)

Reading this thread, I embarked on creating some h2 mappings for more recent kits than I could find here, and ended up writing a small script to generate them automatically.

In the hope it's some use to someone, I'll try attaching my WIP, which has h2drumkits for Crocell V1.1, DRS V2.0.1, Muldjord V3 and the tchackpoum kit, at least 3 of which have worked for me on my local system.

For anyone interested in tinkering, I include my (rough!) perl script - example usage: ./mk_dg_kit.pl dg_tchackpoum tchack_midi tchack_mutes
Oh, that's awesome, thanks for sharing! I've been using the Muldjord kit a lot, so far, and I really love it. I heard nice things about the Crocell Kit too, though, but when I wanted to give it a try all I could find on the drumgimo website were Reaper templates, while I do everything with Hydrogen+Ardour. Hopefully your script will get me one step closer to play with it too :mrgreen:
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Rainmak3r wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:49 pm
petez9 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:17 am Another late entry! :)

Oh, that's awesome, thanks for sharing! I've been using the Muldjord kit a lot, so far, and I really love it. I heard nice things about the Crocell Kit too, though, but when I wanted to give it a try all I could find on the drumgimo website were Reaper templates, while I do everything with Hydrogen+Ardour. Hopefully your script will get me one step closer to play with it too :mrgreen:
Crocell Kit is the most versatile kit. I've used it for Blues, Funk, Hard Rock and Modern Metal.
Thanks petez9
Linux_Voivod
Established Member

Post by Linux_Voivod »

torgeir wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:07 pm Late to the party, but this was inspiring! In an attempt of similar efforts to those of the OP I wanted to play around with the drumgizmo aasimonster kit and created a reaper template for it https://github.com/torgeir/drumgizmo-aasimonster-reaper. I also took the chance to combine the mt power drum kit midis and midi2hydro_pattern to create hydrogen songs for all the grooves+fills categories from mt power drum kit. Should work well no matter what the drumkit or hydrogen instrument, just stack your patterns and enjoy!
I try to get this working, but mainly errors is what I get. I'm still quite unhandy with Linux, but I'd love to get that midi2hydro_pattern working.

Here are some of the errors:
python midi2hydro_pattern.py "metal1a_120bpm_01.mid"
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "midi2hydro_pattern.py", line 32, in <module>
pattern = midi.read_midifile(filename)
AttributeError: module 'midi' has no attribute 'read_midifile'

Trying to fix this now for several hours, but I don't get anywhere. I found outdated github-stuff that caused different errors. Can someone with knowledge about this help me through what I need to do in order to get this working?

Linux Ubuntu 22.04. Yabridge, Kontakt, Metal

torgeir
Established Member

Post by torgeir »

@Linux_Voivod I suspect I was in a bit of a rush the last time around - updated the scripts now not to depend on local folders etc. Added a readme that might help get you there https://github.com/torgeir/drumgizmo-aa ... er/scripts. Let me know if you still can't make it work.
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

FYI, if you're using Hydrogen 1.x the drumkits provided in this thread will not work. This is due to a bug in Hydrogen 0.x (that has since been fixed) that sent MIDI notes with a -24 offset: the drumkits available here did work with 0.x because the note+24 was written in the XML file, which means the right note would be sent to DrumGizmo; at the same time, though, saving a hydrogen session to MIDI and importing that in a DAW like Ardour would fail, as the note+24 would be written there (and so not understood by DrumGizmo). You can find more info in this issue page: https://github.com/hydrogen-music/hydrogen/issues/1363

I fixed this in my setup by just editing the Hydrogen drumkit by removing 24 from all note mappings, so you may want to do the same if you're using a recent version of Hydrogen. @petez9 I think your script will need to be updated too, if it didn't take this anomaly into account.
Linux_Voivod
Established Member

Post by Linux_Voivod »

torgeir wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:20 am @Linux_Voivod I suspect I was in a bit of a rush the last time around - updated the scripts now not to depend on local folders etc. Added a readme that might help get you there https://github.com/torgeir/drumgizmo-aa ... er/scripts. Let me know if you still can't make it work.
Haven't logged on here for a while, but see your post now. In the meantime I fixed a lot with yabridge and MT Powerdrumkit under Reaper. Bought me a lot of Toontrack drummidi's and am happy now.

Thanks for getting back at it though!

Linux Ubuntu 22.04. Yabridge, Kontakt, Metal