The free synths from u-he

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

glowrak guy
Established Member

Re: The free synths from u-he

Post by glowrak guy »

http://www.u-he.com/PatchLib/

The home of U-he plugin preset collection links, both free, and commercial.
Let the fun roll on!

Related announcents etc : http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=180090

There have been about 20 KVR 'One Synth Challenge' contests using
synths with linux versions, and some of the contestants make their
presets available to download. You can find the topics for each contest
(and hopefully find some working links for presets fitting plugins you use) here:

https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/about
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Luc wrote:Erm, this is embarrassing, but it's good news... The crisis is over. :wink:
I might hold the record for the most config files desparately studied,
only to find my keyboard was off, or the headphones were unplugged :roll:

and times I was shocked after typing cd /user/bin....then shouting
I've been HACKED!!! :wink:

Cheers
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

Interesting links, GG. Gonna check them out now. Thank you.
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

I have a new question.

I downloaded those presets and... ran into one that is labeled as a 'demo.' Whatever that means. There doesn't seem to be any actual restriction to it.

Then I ran into another one that is offered as a sample for a full commercial package.

Wait a minute. Is that a thing?

Correct me if I'm wrong: are presets anything more than an arragement of knobs and sliders that anyone can achieve by intent or at random? How can someone own that?

So if I arrange the knobs and sliders and it sounds good, and I use it, and it happens to match the arrangement of a preset that someone has been selling and I haven't bought, I am liable for violation of intellectual property?

That turns the use of any synthesizer plugin into a legal minefield. How does that work???
briandc
Established Member

Post by briandc »

Luc wrote:I have a new question.

I downloaded those presets and... ran into one that is labeled as a 'demo.' Whatever that means. There doesn't seem to be any actual restriction to it.

Then I ran into another one that is offered as a sample for a full commercial package.

Correct me if I'm wrong: are presets anything more than an arragement of knobs and sliders that anyone can achieve by intent or at random? How can someone own that?

So if I arrange the knobs and sliders and it sounds good, and I use it, and it happens to match the arrangement of a preset that someone has been selling and I haven't bought, I am liable for violation of intellectual property?

That turns the use of any synthesizer plugin into a legal minefield. How does that work???
I think it would be pretty darn hard to be considered liable for using the same synth-settings that someone else made money with. Perhaps if someone somehow discovered that you just happened to have the *same* settings with the *same* preset names in the *same* preset bank order..

But yes, people do make sound banks and then sell them. For many people who don't want to tweak their synths (amazing but true), buying a bank of presets is perhaps an option to consider. (Oh wait, I once bought a bank or two for my Motif, years back...)

brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
My sound synthesis biome: http://www.linuxsynths.com
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Luc wrote:I have a new question.

Quite a few pro sound designers give away a few sounds (the demo part)
to gain credibilty with new customers, and entice repeat customers.
Or to highlight a new instruments greatness, if it sounds good enough
to become a soundset cash-cow in the long run.

There is often some overlap in soundsets made for a single instrument,
or class of instruments. No big deal. A thousand and three SuperSaw presets.
When there is a blatant ripoff of a quality product, it is quickly exposed.
Soundsets that clearly have taken great effort to perfect are well respected.

There are quite a few synths with useful preset randomizer capability.
Someone could spend a weekend binge-randomizing the great Oatmeal synth,
and have a years worth of presets stashed to hone for perfection. U-he Zebra2 has
a handy randomizer script, editable to set the percentages of randomness.
When you find a sound you love, you set the percentages low,
to mine for lucky derivatives of similar desirability.
Cheers
tripomatic
Established Member

Post by tripomatic »

My laptop did crash last year, now i haven't got beatzille anymore.

But in my e-mailbox i still have the downloadlinks, license etc.
But if i download it, BeatZille-Linux.tar.gz, i can't extract it

tar -zxf BeatZille-Linux.tar.gz

gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
tar: Child returned status 1
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

Tried, tar, gunzip2, unzip, tar - jx etc etc. nothing works
Does anyone has a copy of the package? Or just the plugin itself?
paulmerchant
Established Member

Post by paulmerchant »

tripomatic wrote: But if i download it, BeatZille-Linux.tar.gz, i can't extract it
Just remove the .gz. The files aren't actually compressed. Not sure why someone would upload them like that.
tripomatic
Established Member

Post by tripomatic »

paulmerchant wrote:
tripomatic wrote: But if i download it, BeatZille-Linux.tar.gz, i can't extract it
Just remove the .gz. The files aren't actually compressed. Not sure why someone would upload them like that.
Oh so easy :).
Thanks!
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

When in doubt, check it out.

1st check:

% file test.tar.gz
test.tar.gz: gzip compressed data, from Unix

Result: Proper gzip compressed archive

Make-believe manipulations:

% gunzip test.tar.gz
% mv test.tar test.tar.gz

2nd check:

% file test.tar.gz
test.tar.gz: POSIX tar archive (GNU)

Result: Not a compressed archive despite its filename. Only a tar archive.
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

Sorry I'm late to the party, but are these plugins (the ones from the KVR forum) just trial or what? Do they function as expected or do they introduce limitations (like cutting audio or noise)?

Thanks in advance!
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

finotti wrote:Sorry I'm late to the party, but are these plugins (the ones from the KVR forum) just trial or what? Do they function as expected or do they introduce limitations (like cutting audio or noise)?
The free u-he synths are free.

The ones that are not well, are not free and only run in demo mode until you buy.

As far as I remember the links given here were all about the free ones. Beatzille, TripleCheese, TyrellN6, Podolski... am I forgetting any ?

The exception amongst the free synths is Zebralette which is part of the commercial Zebra2 synth package that had to be downloaded. Zebralette is a stripped down version of Zebra2 and is free. For that matter Beatzille is a stripped down version of Bazille.

Here's a piece I made with those free u-he synths (drum excluded) :

https://soundcloud.com/nominal6/freetidbit

Also free from u-he is their prototype reverb Protoverb, available from their web site. I use it from time to time. Nice reverb I find.
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

jonetsu wrote:
finotti wrote:Sorry I'm late to the party, but are these plugins (the ones from the KVR forum) just trial or what? Do they function as expected or do they introduce limitations (like cutting audio or noise)?
The free u-he synths are free.

The ones that are not well, are not free and only run in demo mode until you buy.

As far as I remember the links given here were all about the free ones. Beatzille, TripleCheese, TyrellN6, Podolski... am I forgetting any ?

The exception amongst the free synths is Zebralette which is part of the commercial Zebra2 synth package that had to be downloaded. Zebralette is a stripped down version of Zebra2 and is free. For that matter Beatzille is a stripped down version of Bazille.

Here's a piece I made with those free u-he synths (drum excluded) :

https://soundcloud.com/nominal6/freetidbit

Also free from u-he is their prototype reverb Protoverb, available from their web site. I use it from time to time. Nice reverb I find.
I see. I was referring to this thread on the KVR forum. There you can download many plugins (for beta testing): ACE, Bazille, Diva, Filterscape, Hive, MFM2, Podolski, Presswerk, Protoverb, Repro, Satin, TrippleCheese, Uhbik, Zebra2. I could download and install successfully. So, it does include some commercial ones. I opened a couple of the commercial ones, like the Diva, which looks very interesting, to see if it works. It says it is a demo version indeed, but I haven't had the time to see what it means yet. I will try to test more later.

The Satin and Presswerk plugins look really nice! But are very expensive...

Anyway, I quite liked your song and the sounds you've got in it! So, I guess the free synths are already quite good. (At least if you know how to use it!) :-)

Thanks for the help!
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Yes, the free synths are very good. After all, two of them are reduced versions of the same synth engines as the commercial ones. The TripleCheese synth is an odd one in the world of synths since it's based on comb filters. In the KVR thread the free ones are Podolski, TripleCheese, Protoverb and Zebralette inside of the Zebra2 package. Beatzille and TyrellN6 are available from the links posted here and not from u-he directly since they were done for German magazines. I recommend both. A lot can be done using only the free u-he synths.