jalv.select

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

tramp
Established Member

jalv.select

Post by tramp »

Some of you knows my little python script which act as a GUI for jalv, to select and run LV2 plugins with a selectable jalv interpreter.
Now, I realize that debian didn't include the lilv python wrapper any more, and the script wont run without it. So I decide to port this script to C++ / gtkmm.
It's now a regular desktop application with makefile, menu-entry and such.
Get it here:
https://github.com/brummer10/jalv_select

Features:
select jalv interpreter from combo box,
select LV2 plugin from list,
search plugins by regex,
reload lilv world to catch new installed plugins,
simple and lightweight in old unix style,
load plugin on single click.

On the road again.
tramp
Established Member

Re: jalv.select

Post by tramp »

@falktx
Looks good, and for sure it's helpful for your users. :)
On the road again.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

I've re-factored the window a bit, makes it a bit smaller and add a tooltip area which shows the plugin class and the maker.
On the road again.
briandc
Established Member

Post by briandc »

This looks really good Tramp, thanks for your work! I've been hoping to see jalv get a bit more "preset-smart" in terms of preset organization, etc. and it looks as though your script is moving things in that direction. I can't wait to test out your script in the coming days!

brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
My sound synthesis biome: http://www.linuxsynths.com
StudioDave
Established Member

Post by StudioDave »

Greetings,

What path and/or environment variable does it read to find its plugins ? I built it successfully on Fedora 19, but it only sees plugins from /usr/lib/lv2. Most of my LV2 plugs are in /usr/local/lib/lv2.

Best,

dp
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

It didn't use any, it use lilv to list plugins.
I guess lilv use the $LV2_PATH environment variable, so

Code: Select all

export LV2_PATH=/usr/lib/lv2:/usr/local/lib/lv2:$HOME/.lv2 && jalv.select & 
should do it, if you ain't have set LV2_PATH in your bash.rc

But still I wonder, here on debian/sid I never needed a LV2_PATH environment variable, all my plugs are listed by lilv, regardless if they are installed in /usr/local/lib/lv2 or $HOME/.lv2 or /usr/lib/lv2. My LV2_PATH variable is empty.
On the road again.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

briandc wrote:This looks really good Tramp, thanks for your work! I've been hoping to see jalv get a bit more "preset-smart" in terms of preset organization, etc. and it looks as though your script is moving things in that direction. I can't wait to test out your script in the coming days!
Hi briandc

Thanks, but this is just a Graphical interface to jalv, it didn't add any functionality other then the launcher list, which makes it easy and fast, (just a single click, boom, loaded) to load plugs within jalv. So you can't expect any improvements in respect to preset handling from this.
On the road again.
briandc
Established Member

Post by briandc »

tramp wrote:
Hi briandc

Thanks, but this is just a Graphical interface to jalv, it didn't add any functionality other then the launcher list, which makes it easy and fast, (just a single click, boom, loaded) to load plugs within jalv. So you can't expect any improvements in respect to preset handling from this.
Oops, I was all excited about preset management before I realized what I was looking at! :D Still, this should be a nice addition all the same. Thanks!

brian
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

briandc wrote:Oops, I was all excited about preset management
From my experience, the jalv.gtk interpreter includes the best preset handling, as you can save/load presets with it flawless.
jalv.qt missing the save function,
jalv.gtkmm missing the menu at all,
and jalv.gtk3 is a mess in relation to uI loading.
On the road again.
briandc
Established Member

Post by briandc »

tramp wrote:
briandc wrote:Oops, I was all excited about preset management
From my experience, the jalv.gtk interpreter includes the best preset handling, as you can save/load presets with it flawless.
jalv.qt missing the save function,
jalv.gtkmm missing the menu at all,
and jalv.gtk3 is a mess in relation to uI loading.
Yes, I agree that the saving and loading works fine. The areas that are lacking imo are organizing presets into sections (if you make more than 20 presets the list starts to get very long and cumbersome). A type of bank-management would be useful.
In addition, once you have a preset loaded, there should be a window that tells you what preset you're using. Again, when you have lots and lots of presets, if you forget what preset you started with (it's happened more than once) there's no way to recall it. Not even a tick-mark or something similar.

brian
asbak
Established Member

Post by asbak »

Vielen dank Herr Tramp =)
Some Focal / 20.04 audio packages and resources https://midistudio.groups.io/g/linuxaudio
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

asbak wrote:Vielen dank Herr Tramp =)
you're welcome :)
briandc wrote:Yes, I agree that the saving and loading works fine. The areas that are lacking imo are organizing presets into sections (if you make more than 20 presets the list starts to get very long and cumbersome). A type of bank-management would be useful.
In addition, once you have a preset loaded, there should be a window that tells you what preset you're using. Again, when you have lots and lots of presets, if you forget what preset you started with (it's happened more than once) there's no way to recall it. Not even a tick-mark or something similar.
That seems to be solved in latest svn repository already. There you get a preset bank management, a tick mark on loaded preset and a delete preset option as well.
Look:

I've made in addition a patch for jalv.gtk to add the loaded preset name to the window tittle, but haven't send it for now, nor do I know if it get accepted.
What I miss is the possibility to load a preset on start-up. I've had a short talk with Drobilla and it seems he is interested to add this feature.
If he do, I will add a preset selector to jalv.select (in fact I've done it already, just jalv didn't accept the command-line.)
On the road again.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

StudioDave wrote:Greetings,

What path and/or environment variable does it read to find its plugins ? I built it successfully on Fedora 19, but it only sees plugins from /usr/lib/lv2. Most of my LV2 plugs are in /usr/local/lib/lv2.

Best,

dp
Dave, I guess you've build lilv and jalv by yourself from drobilla svn? I guess as well you use a 64bit arch? If so, I guess as well you've set the

--libdir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/
for configure? If so, you need to make sure that you set

--default-lv2-path='~/.lv2:/usr/lib/lv2:/usr/local/lib/lv2'
Note the apostrophe, it didn't work without them!!
On the road again.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

And now it provide a pop-up menu to select a preset (or default settings) to load on start-up.
https://github.com/brummer10/jalv_select
On the road again.
asbak
Established Member

Post by asbak »

On Linux Mint & presumably other Debians it may be useful to install the following packages before trying to compile this.

apt-get install dh-make liblilv-dev libgtkmm-2.4-dev
To compile and install I did:

cd jalv_select-master
make
sudo make install
To build the debian package for future deployment on other systems example:

make deb
Some Focal / 20.04 audio packages and resources https://midistudio.groups.io/g/linuxaudio