Non-Mixer and LV2 plugins

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

tatch
Established Member

Re: Non-Mixer and LV2 plugins

Post by tatch »

ssj71 wrote:
falkTX wrote:someone already did that, kinda.
Cool. Still alpha and not as feature complete as IR, but seems the hard part is done. I think it would be relatively simple to add the other features.

I'm a little confused though. Is the only missing link to host-generated file choosers the hosts need to support this extension?
studio32 wrote: Now it would be nice if you could also automate LV2 synths in the NON workflow.
Seems like thats where non-sequencer would come into play but I don't know if male intended it for such. Though maybe it makes more sense for the timeline to do automation. Kind of a blurry line.
non-seq only sequences midi notes. automation is useful in both pattern-based contexts (non-seq) and on a timeline, but I sort of disagree with the way non-seq and non-timeline are separated to begin with. pattern-based sequencing makes sense but from my experience non-sequencer (even disregarding from its impossible ui) as a loop-based sequencer makes it difficult to detail patterns and create variations of a pattern, and it's particularly difficult to envision an entire song when it is abstracted to patterns that aren't really graphically illustrated. It's also desirable to sequence audio. It makes sense to use non-seq as the sequencer itself and say petri-foo as a sampler but when you want to sequence more intricately (eg multiple samples with variable lengths) this can quickly become cumbersome.

...I guess what I'm really getting at is that I don't like non-sequencer (nothing new here).

It should be possible to add midi-strips to non-mixer, but I'm not sure that's a design male will be happy with.
I don't want this either. We just need a wholesome jackmidi sequencer/envelope editor that is both pattern- and arrangement-friendly.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

Male was thinking a lot about the combination of lineair (together with non-timeline) and pattern based sequencing, and a useful combination between the two. Afaik he didn't came up with a conclusion/solution yet. I'm sure he will be back when he figured that one out. :)
tatch
Established Member

Post by tatch »

studio32 wrote:Male was thinking a lot about the combination of lineair (together with non-timeline) and pattern based sequencing, and a useful combination between the two. Afaik he didn't came up with a conclusion/solution yet. I'm sure he will be back when he figured that one out. :)
I'm not sure about this. male's music is primarily singer-songwriter music so he doesn't necessarily have the familiarity with or interest in a synthesis-and-sequence-oriented environment to improve the workflow.
pevsner
Established Member

Post by pevsner »

Hi,
It's a while since I compiled this and also tried the kxstudio packages, so things aren't super fresh in my memory.
On ubuntu 14.04 both my compiled version(seemingly built without errors) and the kxstudio packages didn't run, an error regarding "jack_get_property" as I remember.
I was wondering if this is because I am using jack2 and it was coded/compiled for/on jack1?
If so is there an easy hack to the code I can do?
It's mainly so I can can use the calf exciter plugin easily, although other lv2's would be nice to have available.
Thanks.
pevsner
Established Member

Post by pevsner »

Thanks, changing jack versions in ubuntu seems to want to uninstall everything audio related. I'll take the plunge soon.
My version on 14.04 is 1.9.9.5+20130622git7de15e7a-1ubuntu1, i guess it's a bit old now.
kitman
Established Member

Post by kitman »

Hi,
I wanted to experiment with using lv2 plugins with non mixer. Downloaded both the git and zip version of FalkTX's work from https://github.com/falkTX/non/ . But the successfully compiled versions still shows version 1.2 in the about message (no mention of lv2) and the actual mixer only shows ladspa plugins.

Not sure what to do next?

Any advice?

Thanks,
Chris.
kitman
Established Member

Post by kitman »

Hi,
I have downloaded both the git and zip file versions from https://github.com/falkTX/non/ and they compile and run ok.

But there is no option to use lv2 plugins in FalkTX's version - only ladspa plugins are listed in the Plugin Chooser (no lv2 option listed in the Type dropdown either). Plus the About screen still shows version 1.2.0 with no mention of any patching.

Not sure what to do next, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris.
kitman
Established Member

Post by kitman »

Hi again.

I am very sorry, please ignore my previous posts. LV2 is working for me. My few LV2 plugins were listed deep in the list along with the many LADSPA plugins in the Plugin Chooser dialogue. Seems not all the filtering fields works especially the Type drop down but I can live with it.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Any news, will this be accepted to Non?

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

falkTX wrote:haha, no, don't count on it.
you'll have more luck waiting for JACK3. :lol:
Or waiting for lmms having proper audio recording & editing + proper jack support?

Yes, I was expecting that there might not be any moves on this. Maybe Non has been such slowly moving boat that it's time to fork it for good?
Last edited by tavasti on Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

oddy.o.lynx
Established Member

Post by oddy.o.lynx »

This is amazing. Just found this.

Hadn't realized that KXstudio had non-daw in the repository and had already installed the version from https://non-daw.tuxfamily.org which had no LV2 support.

Saw this thread...

downloaded the version from https://github.com/falkTX/non/ and installed only the mixer part (needed serd, sord and stratom to be able to install lilv).

Can load all LV2 plugins in non-mixer now.

Thanks.