How to multiply two sounds?

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

CrocoDuck
Established Member

How to multiply two sounds?

Post by CrocoDuck »

O Hay! So, I'm working on my final thesis, regarding physical modelling synthesis, and I would like to make some demostration, in the introductory part, of the intermodulation phenomenon, that is when two sounds of different frequency are combined in a non linear medium. The resulting sound is the product of the wavefunctions of the two initial sounds. How can I achieve this with a sythesizer and/or a plugin? Basically, I would like to synthesize two sounds of different frequency an then operate a multiplication of the two waves.
lazyklimm
Established Member

Re: How to multiply two sounds?

Post by lazyklimm »

Code: Select all

dpkg -S /usr/lib/ladspa/product_1668.so                                                                                                                                               :(
blop: /usr/lib/ladspa/product_1668.so
diizy
Established Member

Post by diizy »

Are you speaking of ring modulation? There's [s]an app[/s] a LADSPA plugin for that...
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

lazyklimm wrote:

Code: Select all

dpkg -S /usr/lib/ladspa/product_1668.so                                                                                                                                               :(
blop: /usr/lib/ladspa/product_1668.so

Uh! Nice! I've tested it with 2 Yoshimis and Baudline... Seems to work as expected, I can see the bands for the sum and difference of the frequencies. Thanks.
diizy wrote:Are you speaking of ring modulation? There's [s]an app[/s] a LADSPA plugin for that...
Yeah, is a kind of, but I wanto to modulate a pure tone using another pure tone with a close frequency (a tone higher, more or less), to make audible the resulting tones having frequency respectively the sum and the difference of the first ones.