No SFZ Sampler with Aftertouch Support?

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

GraysonPeddie
Established Member

No SFZ Sampler with Aftertouch Support?

Post by GraysonPeddie »

if LinuxSampler does not support aftertouch, are there no other SFZ samplers for Linux other than Cakewalk Dimension LE that is only available for Windows and through dssi-vst that came with Studio Orchestra which I've purchased (you have to select Cakewalk Dimension Pro/LE PC before you add to cart)? I've used Dimension LE with MusE Sequencer (of choice due to workflow), but even after opening and closing the native URL for a couple of times, when I try to show the native GUI, MusE tend to froze for a half a minute and came back to normal with no GUI showing at all. Perhaps that could be the behavior of dssi-vst but I could be wrong; I don't know what's going on. Really, I need to get rid of Dimension LE and use open source SFZ samplers instead if possible. I'm dealing with orchestrated instruments such as piccolo, flute, violin, brass, and whatever instruments that I plan to use.

When you hold down a key to play a piccolo and apply a pressure, you are making use of aftertouch, which can apply a tremelo effect depending on how much pressure you put in. I may not be accurate, but I put it there in hopes anybody will know what I'm talking about.
--Grayson Peddie

Music Interest: New Age w/ a mix of modern smooth jazz, light techno/trance & downtempo -- something Epcot Future World/Tomorrowland-flavored.
AnthonyCFox
Established Member

Re: No SFZ Sampler with Aftertouch Support?

Post by AnthonyCFox »

Can you use Festige with Muse? I generally have had better luck with that than dssi-vst.

Unfortunately, LinuxSampler is the best we have right now for FOSS. You might try Sforzando Player http://www.plogue.com/products/sforzando/ that's worked well for me in Carla with dssi-vst. It's powered by the Aria engine and I see some indications that that has aftertouch. It's also free.
War, crime, disease, starvation, extreme poverty; these are serious things.
Music? Not so serious. Have some fun! :D
GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Post by GraysonPeddie »

I'll check into that tomorrow, as I'm heading off to sleep.
--Grayson Peddie

Music Interest: New Age w/ a mix of modern smooth jazz, light techno/trance & downtempo -- something Epcot Future World/Tomorrowland-flavored.
antiesen
Established Member

Post by antiesen »

No need to look further - Linuxsampler d o e s provide aftertouch.
This was made to end all partys - Einstürzende Neubauten 1985
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

antiesen wrote:No need to look further - Linuxsampler d o e s provide aftertouch.
So there's falktx saying LS doesn't support aftertouch and you're saying it does.

Is aftertouch in the table at http://www.linuxsampler.org/sfz/ ? What is it called there?
antiesen
Established Member

Post by antiesen »

raboof wrote:So there's falktx saying LS doesn't support aftertouch and you're saying it does.
:) No, falktx says that Carla doesn´t support aftertouch.
raboof wrote: Is aftertouch in the table at http://www.linuxsampler.org/sfz/ ? What is it called there?
Its called "aft" ( lochanaft and hichanaft ) - so for vibrato use pitchlfo_depthchanaft or for
tremolo amplfo_depthchanaft.
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

antiesen wrote:
raboof wrote:So there's falktx saying LS doesn't support aftertouch and you're saying it does.
:) No, falktx says that Carla doesn´t support aftertouch.
Well, Carla uses LS, so that Carla supports corresponds 1-to-1 to what LS supports.
antiesen wrote:
raboof wrote:Is aftertouch in the table at http://www.linuxsampler.org/sfz/ ? What is it called there?
Its called "aft" ( lochanaft and hichanaft ) - so for vibrato use pitchlfo_depthchanaft or for tremolo amplfo_depthchanaft.
Right - so LS (and thus Carla) does support per-channel aftertouch, but not per-note ('poly') aftertouch.
GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Post by GraysonPeddie »

Morning.

Since Carla does not handle aftertouch, I went and tried out LinuxSampler, so I started LinuxSampler and then start QSampler. Here's my output:

Code: Select all

grayson@htpc:~$ apt-cache policy qsampler
qsampler:
  Installed: 0.2.2-5
  Candidate: 0.2.2-5
  Version table:
 *** 0.2.2-5 0
        500 http://mirror.lstn.net/ubuntu/ precise/universe amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
grayson@htpc:~$ apt-cache search fantasia
grayson@htpc:~$ linuxsampler
LinuxSampler 1.0.0.svn21
Copyright (C) 2003,2004 by Benno Senoner and Christian Schoenebeck
Copyright (C) 2005-2013 Christian Schoenebeck
Detected features: MMX SSE SSE2
Automatic Stacktrace: Off
Creating Sampler...OK
Registered sampler engines: 'GIG','SF2','SFZ'
Registered MIDI input drivers: ALSA,JACK
Registered audio output drivers: ALSA,JACK
Loading instrument editor plugins...OK
Registered instrument editors: 
Registered internal effect systems: LADSPA
Could not scan LADSPA effects: library path '/home/grayson/.ladspa' doesn't exist
Registered internal effects: 0
Starting LSCP network server (0.0.0.0:8888)...OK
LinuxSampler initialization completed. :-)

LSCPServer: Client connection established on socket:4.
LSCPServer: Client connection established on socket:5.
LSCPServer: Client connection terminated on socket:4.
LSCPServer: Client connection terminated on socket:5.

grayson@htpc:~$ qsampler 
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
Why is QSampler causing a segmentation fault remains a mystery. Oh, and one thing:

grayson@htpc:~$ apt-cache policy linuxsampler
linuxsampler:
  Installed: 1.0.0+svn2459-1kxstudio1
  Candidate: 1.0.0+svn2459-1kxstudio1
  Version table:
 *** 1.0.0+svn2459-1kxstudio1 0
        500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/kxstudio-debian/apps/ubuntu/ lucid/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
I will try to see if I can get Fantasia (frontend for LinuxSampler) installed even though it's not in the KXStudio repository. Both Fantasia and Festige (mentioned in this thread) are not in the KXStudio repositories listed below:

grayson@htpc:~$ ls /etc/apt/sources.list.d/kxstudio-* | grep -v "save"
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/kxstudio-debian-backports.list
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/kxstudio-debian.list
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/kxstudio-non-free.list
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/kxstudio-team-kernel-precise.list
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/kxstudio-team-kxstudio-precise.list
--Grayson Peddie

raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

falkTX wrote:Fantasia is java app, for which I simply don't know how to compile yet (generate jar file from classes).
I took a quick look and it looks like Fantasia uses 'ant' as its build system (much like 'make' is common for C apps). A glance at the ant 'build.xml' reveals the target 'build-fantasia' which is probably what you want.

so: 'ant build-fantasia'

(the warnings it generates suggest that it might only work with the Oracle (formerly Sun) JDK/JRE, but it might work on other implementations too)
antiesen
Established Member

Post by antiesen »

falkTX wrote:
Right - so LS (and thus Carla) does support per-channel aftertouch, but not per-note ('poly') aftertouch.
Actually, none of the two.
So? Anyone plugged his keyboard and tried?

Carla doesn´t support aftertouch, it even doesn´t support mod wheel - with LS or any other plugin I´ve tried.
Linux Sampler does support aftertouch. Use qsampler or fantasia to test.
antiesen
Established Member

Post by antiesen »

:wink: I´ve tested the last offical version carla 1.1.0 - cause I tink that grayson uses it too.
And ModWheel is not for Pitch Bend - Pitch Bend works in carla 1.1.0.
Last edited by antiesen on Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Post by GraysonPeddie »

I also tried to compile QSampler 0.2.2 from source at LinuxSampler's download page and it also caused a segmentation fault. I don't know what to do...
antiesen wrote::wink: I´ve tested the last offical version carla 1.1.0 - cause I tink that grayson uses it too.
Here's mine:

grayson@htpc:~/Downloads/qsampler-0.2.2$ apt-cache policy carla
carla:
  Installed: 2:1.2.1-1kxstudio1.1
  Candidate: 2:1.2.1-1kxstudio1.1
  Version table:
 *** 2:1.2.1-1kxstudio1.1 0
        500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/kxstudio-debian/apps/ubuntu/ lucid/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
(Looking at the output again...) Wait a minute--why is there Lucid (Lynx)? Mine's Precise Pangolin!
--Grayson Peddie

GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Post by GraysonPeddie »

Okay, it's working. I have compiled LinuxSampler from svn and I'm able to launch qsampler with success. However, LinuxSampler still does not support channel aftertouch.
--Grayson Peddie

antiesen
Established Member

Post by antiesen »

No, please - now that we came this long way...
First try this example with enabled aftertouch.
Synbass_Example.zip
GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Post by GraysonPeddie »

None of the sfz samples in the Digital Sound Factory Studio Orchestra have channel aftertouch unless I use Cakewalk Dimension LE. Oh well. It's off to add amplfo_depthchanaft to a couple of the samples that I need to use. At least I can get away from Dimension LE. Of course, there are some additional features in Dimension LE that are not available in an sfz specification. Ah, here's one:
The .prog file is very important. The Dimension player is a SFZ player, but also has .prog (programs) that point to SFZ files. This allows for layering/combinations, along with various other parameters - filters - fx - envelopes - that are programed in the .prog file. All DSF Dimension sound pack have program files that are tweaked to get the best results from the SFZ files. FYI - SFZ files will import to SFZ players, but in most cases will only contain the multisample keymap and limited parameters.
So, yep. Aftertouch is not one of them that they did not program into each of the sfz files. *sigh*

Thanks.
Last edited by GraysonPeddie on Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--Grayson Peddie