How do I configure software synths in ardour?

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

dkasak
Established Member

How do I configure software synths in ardour?

Post by dkasak »

Hi all.

I'm trying to get some software synths working in ardour. I can't seem to get any sound out of them :( Here is what I'm doing ...

1) Open a new ardour session
2) Add a midi + audio track ( also tried with just MIDI )
3) Select an 'instrument' ( tried calf, MDA, fabla, sorcer )
4) Expand the track or whatever it's called until the little sideways keyboard appears, and click some notes

When I click notes, the levels in the mixer window jump. But there's no sound. I can record and play audio with my mic. Is there something simple I'm missing?

Thanks.

Dan
dkasak
Established Member

Re: How do I configure software synths in ardour?

Post by dkasak »

Sorted.

It seems that adding a MIDI track from the 'main' window and selecting an instrument ( sometimes ? ) doesn't set things up properly. But adding a new track from the mixer window works fine.
varpa
Established Member

Re: How do I configure software synths in ardour?

Post by varpa »

Glad you fixed your problem. I suggest that it would be good to provide more details on your when posting such questions such as Ardour version, linux/jack setup. Also, if you really have found a bug, you should report on the Ardour bug tracker: http://tracker.ardour.org/my_view_page.php. Its recommended to use the version of Ardour downloadable from the Ardour website, which is the newest version, and the best to use as a reference when reporting bugs.

Having said all that I find similar problem to yours on Ardour3.4 (from Ardour site) - I find that in all circumstances the built-in keyboard on the track does not work, meters do not even move. However, playing via external midi input works.
Reporting this to Ardour bug page.