Why VST plugins?

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

alex stone
Established Member

Why VST plugins?

Post by alex stone »

In the last 2 years or so, there seems to have been a push to incorporate some sort of VST usability in the LA community. While it's the users right to choose which plugs or tools they want to use, i'm mystified by this enthusiasm, and ask:

Apart from the obvious, like commercial sample libs, and some modelled instrument plugins that simple aren't available in Linux (with some exceptions, like setBfree for instance), what is there in the VST collection that can't be found in LADSPA, DSSI, and LV2?
In reality, how many users clamoring for the inclusion of VSTs, do so based on the allegedly "more polished" appearance, choosing fashion over function?

I spent years using VSTs and AU plugs, and i'm not sure i've lost anything switching to native linux plugs, in some cases ended up better off.

Curiously,

Alex.
amsel
Established Member

Re: Why VST plugins?

Post by amsel »

In my Casey it is just personal preference. I like the Plugins made by korg and since i already bought them in my old Windows days, i would be glad, if i still could use them.

Edit:
I have heard of vendors, selling Windows VSTs von embedded devices actually running Linux through wine, but i'm not sure how common that is.
werock
Established Member

Post by werock »

There is a very large number of VST developers out there, why not encourage the good ones to port their stuff to Linux? Like it or not, a major attraction to using Linux for making music to your average user will be what plugins are available.

The two VSTs I use the most are Loomer's Aspect and String synths. There is nothing comparable (feature set and soundwise) available in DSSI/LV2 that I've found (besides, my main host doesn't support LV2). A recent topic here was regarding the Glitch VST - is there anything like that in LADSPA/DSSI/LV2?

There's probably not so much of a gap effects wise, but instrument plugins is where I feel there is a big gap that can help to be closed with VSTs.
dednikko
Established Member

Post by dednikko »

werock wrote:... instrument plugins is where I feel there is a big gap that can help to be closed with VSTs.
This is right on the money. If there is progress in making more instruments available to us and it comes at the expense of LV2 being the preferred plugin format for Linux, I'm all for it.

Also, werock, I bought your album, it's friggin excellent.
Think like a gun.
werock
Established Member

Post by werock »

Wow, thanks!
StudioDave
Established Member

Post by StudioDave »

werock wrote: A recent topic here was regarding the Glitch VST - is there anything like that in LADSPA/DSSI/LV2?
No, but there is Smasher.

http://smasher.sourceforge.net/

Worked fine when I tested it.

And as mentioned there is Sequent, with which I whiled away about three hours yesterday.

http://www.loomer.co.uk/sequent.htm

Best,

dp
Aleks
Established Member

Post by Aleks »

Interesting topic. There are certainly some great vst(i)'s out there in the Windows world. Some are free, some aren't. A while ago I found this vst called Alchemy player, which in fact is really nice sfz player:

http://www.camelaudio.com/AlchemyPlayer.php

Haven't tried it yet on Linux.

The other one is Jamstix. I tried that one installing in Wine and starting in Festige, but never got around syncing it with a sequencer. I think that if Festige could be made to be LV2 instrument itself, that would be much easier.