KXStudio needs a P.R. person

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

slowpick
Established Member

Re: KXStudio needs a P.R. person

Post by slowpick »

i2productions wrote: I've had a serious reversal in thinking about wanting to convert people from Windows to linux.
win/mac hobbyist musicians squander countless studio hours trying to convert one another
to the latest DAW upgrade, and newest superior vsts they prefer...this week :roll: Imagine
the music that could have been produced in those mega-thousands of forum sessions. :shock:

Well, maybe they are better at qwerty keys than midi keys :wink:

Success is largely achieved by discovering a dire need, and then meeting it beyond
all expectations. Hobbyists that are spending $500 and up per year on soft and hardware,
with new computers every-other-year, don't need linux. A guy dating a super model,
likely won't chat up the local Meter Maid.

So breaking music production down into basic elements, and communicating a particular linux
strength, to each one, might help. win/mac users are solution oriented, and don't
need gpl religious conversion, when its the drums that are lousy, the noisefloor
is unbearable, or the guitar tone is uninspiring.

The competition, is sponsored by successful business giants like Apple, Yamaha, Avid, Roland
so collaboration, with a plan, leadership, and faithful workers, is crucial. Things could go on
as they are, for years, with dozens of talented lone-wolf genius developers entrenched in their own
aftermath, wondering why, instead of celebrating success. For example, 6 of the top
100 developers, determine the need, co-purchase a large house, (yeah, the moving van scene!)
convert it into low overhead apartments, office, and studio, maintain day-jobs as needed, and develop a solid business plan, financial plan, team leadership, and project work assignments.

Everyone has skin in the game, something to win, or lose. But no longer alone,
and at the mercies.
slowpick
Established Member

Post by slowpick »

But where?

Find a place that is warm, with fresh fish and produce, low taxes,
lacking abusive local zoning regulations, and with a reasonably active economy.

New York? Toronto? Hollywood ? Paris? Moscow? Peking? Nope. Keep searching. :lol:

They are out there, and worth the move.
slowpick
Established Member

Post by slowpick »

The typical windows user can probably watch a youtube linux demo, without needing
to learn any terminal commands. But its all downhill, from there :wink:
Videos are great promo tools, and don't impose the need for reading skills on the viewer.

A hoovered archive of such videos would be a worthy download. :)
rusk
Established Member

Post by rusk »

Yes, claudia is a LADISH frontend. For windows management need to add dbus calls to ladish code written in C... It's possible, but wil not work with some DE's and probably with some applications like a2jmidid and pulse sync daemon Also there's a problem with multiwindow apps I can't find how to determine main window ID.
tbritton
Established Member

Post by tbritton »

I'm on the team for the open-source CamStudio screen recording application for Windows as a help-desk guy for a few years now. I got into that because

a) I believed in the "mission" of the software,
b) really respected the project leaders and programmers and
c) naturally shared from a new user's point-of-view what I had learned while I was learning it.

Of course, I did this using screen-recordings primarily (see my YouTube channel http://youtube.com/tbritton33) but also wrote articles on a website I put up at http://screencasttutorial.org and am active on the forums on a daily basis at http://camstudio.org/forum. I also run a few other education-based sites.

falkTX, your KXStudio project satisfies the first two requirements to engage me (for sure!), and the third comes automatically as I grow to love this distribution and respect it very much.

I have that perspective as a new user now with KXStudio, and have overcome some challenges already that a non-linux person would consider formidable. Your excellent script for recording screens is quite exciting (though certain programs do not appear for some reason), and RecorditNow is installed by default, though it lags pretty badly for me. Nonetheless, I see no problem with doing screen recordings of solutions for KXStudio issues and set-up videos.

I'm not big on Facebook or Twitter, but perhaps someone else could help out with that. I am learning to use IFTTT (If This Then That) for auto-posting across several social media tools. https://ifttt.com/wtf

I'm a web-programmer who works from home, specializing in ExpressionEngine and WordPress customization and design implementations via CSS (though I myself cannot design myself out of a paper bag ... that is, my design sense sucks! What I do is implement what real design-oriented folks dream up). The nice thing about that is I can make time for these other things that interest me. So, let me know how I can best fit in with this PR work, and I'll jump in!

Terry
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

Just a quick note: there's tons of PR work needed and it should not be focused on Twitter/Facebook. Those platforms deserve even more criticism than they get. That's not where the energy should necessarily go. Keep being "not big" on those. But yes, everyone who can promote and support KXStudio, please do! I am dependent on this now as my main system, loving it, and I want to see it succeed as much as possible.

I have three students now really getting into using KXStudio (though it's been rough, they are all new to GNU/Linux), and I'm getting closer to pushing it more and more. All my students are aware of it in some sense at least.
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
http://wolftune.com
tatch
Established Member

Post by tatch »

wolftune wrote:Just a quick note: there's tons of PR work needed and it should not be focused on Twitter/Facebook. Those platforms deserve even more criticism than they get.
What criticism do you have in mind exactly? I'm not sure if KX would get that much attention from those two just because they tend to be more entertainment-oriented from what I've seen, though I'm curious to see what you have to say about them as platforms.

Also a suggestion to the future PR person, maybe try to reach out to places like CDM/Redshark.
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

tatch: what is CDM/Redshark??

Re: Twitter / Facebook, they shouldn't be lumped into one. I definitely know that Twitter, for example, is more supportive of some positive things like reducing software patents. However, these are both fundamentally awful systems. They are largely everything that Free Software exists to oppose. The simplest way to put it is: their entire business is to get people to be dependent on their restricted, proprietary, platforms. They are the opposite of the internet in general. They are like AOL used to be: closed ecosystems under the complete control of certain companies.

E-mail is an open platform, the web is open, etc. Our choice of e-mail service has no bearing on our ability to connect with people and communicate and control what we do. Thus, we are also free to switch services. Facebook and Twitter are the opposite, well, Facebook especially. Facebook wants people to post things there and get updates there and invitations to events, and chat etc. It used to be the case, maybe not as much now, that you couldn't see otherwise public photos from Facebook without registering. That's how they sucked me in. I would have stayed away forever, but ignorant jerks from a major trip I was on posted photos on Facebook only. The more everything is in the Facebook world, the more it threatens the internet as an open platform. And this doesn't even address the actual concerns about it for privacy other serious problems.

Twitter is, I guess, not as bad. You can see tweets without registering with Twitter. They are more connected to open standards. I actually don't know as much about Twitter. I don't like the concept much and I absolutely abhor how Twitter has brought about truly evil businesses like Klout, but I shouldn't blame Twitter necessarily for that. I've never actually used Twitter, so I can't exactly speak from direct experience.

Cheers
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
http://wolftune.com
tatch
Established Member

Post by tatch »

All right, thanks for sharing. I also don't prefer Facebook, though I think my aversions stem from privacy and ownership issues rather than open standards, they may be related though.

Anyway, CDM is create digital music, a site/blog that talks a lot about electronic/digital music creation and content, they release stuff about ableton and also talk about less-known software like Pure Data (I think they have a pretty big pd userbase in their forums), and they've also done a number of linux audio articles (dinisnoise, mixbus...) They even have their own "open-hardware" synth called MeeBlip. I think they're pretty well-known/respected in the music blogosphere and I personally appreciate their support for open platforms. If KX were to get into contact with them I'm sure they'd be interested in hearing/reporting about it. Maybe KX could even establish a small userbase inside the CDM forum or something, just a thought.

RedShark is a little less related to linux audio but they still might be interested in KX as a linux studio distro. RedShark is a news blog run by the company that's developing LightWorks (i.e. the-professional-NLE-that-is-now-sort-of-free-as-in-beer-and-also-has-a-linux-alpha-and-will-hopefully-be-opensourced-in-the-future), they tend to run professional-video-related articles but also frequently discuss alternatives to industry standards like blender, and they've also run a few articles on linux audio like this. I'm not running LW on linux so I don't know how it plays with JACK (ninez is, wherever he went) but they also might be interested in KXStudio's contributions to LA and maybe even KX as a general multimedia distribution, which is something I always tend to overlook (Maybe KX can even strike a distribution deal with LW once it goes open-source or something lol).
ToddMWorth
Established Member

Post by ToddMWorth »

+1 CDM. Definitely pivotal to the prosumer audio scene.