New KXStudio repos on an old 16.04?

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Aleks
Established Member

New KXStudio repos on an old 16.04?

Post by Aleks »

I am running Ubuntu 16.04 quite a long time now. I tried to install to new KXStudio repos on it, but - no can do. The reason I am postponing the upgrade to 18.04 is because I am in a middle of a project, so wouldn't want to waste days in system configuration. Reason more, I have some apps that I depend on(like Gnome subtitles) which are not available in 18.04. From everywhere I read, the main reason because of which people encourage the users to upgrade is the new 4.15 kernel. Well, I already have the 4.15 kernel in 16.04. So, is it possible to upgrade some dependencies, like Python or what not, and to enable the new KX repos? The reason why I am asking this is because I would like to have updated music production apps, mainly Ardour, Guitarix, MuseScore, Hydrogen, DrumGizmo and of course, Carla/JACK
milo
Established Member

Re: New KXStudio repos on an old 16.04?

Post by milo »

You might try downloading updated binaries for the apps you want, or compiling from source. Of course, that would probably be more work than just upgrading your OS. :)
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Aleks wrote:The reason I am postponing the upgrade to 18.04 is because I am in a middle of a project, so wouldn't want to waste days in system configuration. Reason more, I have some apps that I depend on(like Gnome subtitles) which are not available in 18.04.
Now big question is: do you actually need something new? Or can you live with current versions you have until you have possibility to upgrade? If you can live another 7 months with your current OS, then you could upgrade to 20.04.

I have been in similar situations few times, and options are:
- Just live with old OS and apps in it
- Build yourself apps that you really need to get upgraded. In some cases it can mean also building several libs.
- Take the pain of upgrade
- Install new version to another computer, and suffer from having things split to 2 computers

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Aleks wrote:[...] So, is it possible to upgrade some dependencies, like Python or what not, and to enable the new KX repos? The reason why I am asking this is because I would like to have updated music production apps, mainly Ardour, Guitarix, MuseScore, Hydrogen, DrumGizmo and of course, Carla/JACK
The all new and improved KXStudio repo does not provide those applications anymore. They limit themselves to VST's and apps like Carla that the maintainer, FalkTX, manages/develops. FalkTX also recently left this forum by the way. Pity KXStudio ain't what it used to be... But it was too much work for one single person. See https://kx.studio/News/ under "On 2019-09-24 by falkTX".