testing kx repository on new systems

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

alessandro
Established Member

testing kx repository on new systems

Post by alessandro »

Hi, after three days of hard work I managed to install on an external HD for testing, KDE Neon 5.16.4 with KXstudio repository (now and GCC5)
I tested the following kernels instead of the generic default:
-Liquorix 5.1; 5.2 ...
-linux 4.15.0-55-lowlatency
-linux 5.0.0-23-lowlatency.
I also installed the Nvidia 370 drivers for my old PC (HP DV6 i7-720Q) with pcmcia card for firewire sound card (EDIROLL 66) ...
After countless tests on cadence settings and reboots (Alsa-> Jack; ... Alsa-> pulseaudio-> jack), in the end I excluded kernell liquorix (many Xruns with firewire driver settings, 48000-1024-2 / 3periods).
While with both lowlatency kernels everything works fine (with firewire driver settings, 48000-128-3 periods -> block latency 2.7 ms!).
Pulseaudio module jack should be installed for an integration with pulseaudio.
-Carla and plugins work as on my previous setup with KXstudio 14.04.6.
Kdenlive to the MLT6.16.0 version is a little less responsive, perhaps also due to the limitations of external USB2.0 HD from which the system works ...
I am very satisfied!
I also did tests with AVLinux 2019 and Ubuntustudio 19.04 DiscoDigo.
Both work well on my machine, but the flexibility of use, the solidity found on KXStudio 14.04.6 and the habit of use, make KDE Neon the ideal candidate for my future. I look forward to news from FalkTx ...
I am very satisfied for now! 8)

P.S. I'm thinking of testing these systems even on a new barebone that I'll soon be assembling on intel i7-8700 and UHD 630 always with firewire port ...
Regards
Alessandro
Joermungand
Established Member

Re: testing kx repository on new systems

Post by Joermungand »

alessandro wrote:P.S. I'm thinking of testing these systems even on a new barebone that I'll soon be assembling on intel i7-8700 and UHD 630 always with firewire port ...
Why 8700 and not 8700K, which gives you a significant speed boost for not so much of an extra buck? Also, it is worth considering that MoBos for this processor will most likely not have a FireWire port, so you will need a PCI Express card for it.
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

In the same price bracket is the 8 core Ryzen 7 3700X. Another option.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Yeah linux isn't in a bad place for audio now. I run reaper, renoise, and primarily vcv rack without any real problems linux wise. Neon with the lowlatency kernel (I also had liquorix for a while and the constant updating got a bit annoying) is stable and smooth for me.
alessandro
Established Member

Post by alessandro »

Joermungand wrote:Why 8700 and not 8700K, which gives you a significant speed boost for not so much of an extra buck?
because the selected hardware (DH310 shuttle) is incompatible with the K series, and the speed is relative, the compatibility is more important ... also it would heat up too much!
Joermungand wrote:not have a FireWire port, so you will need a PCI Express card for it
I will adapt a miniPCIe firewire card to the M2-2230E port of the Shuttle ... I hope it works :wink: