Trying to set up a second sound device for Pulse programs

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

SpeakerToMeat
Established Member

Trying to set up a second sound device for Pulse programs

Post by SpeakerToMeat »

Hello all. User of KX on debian here.

My workstation at home is a workstation and personal use machine. I've been using a few KX programs so far to work via Jack, with Pulse and Alsa bridges. Mainly to pass all my audio through a Carla with an EQ for room/speaker flattening, and for working with MixBus (eventually).

I used Cadence to set up Jack, Pulse Bridge and Alsa bridge via Alsa->pulse->jack. Using a session set up via Claudia which starts Carla with a profile, and patches through it (Pulse bridge source to carla to hardware sink).

I have a Microsoft USB headset that I'll leave eternally plugged in the back to use with a few programs (Skype, Discord, etc). But of course I'm not trying to make it work with all the bridges and Pulse is proving hard.

I want to create an alsa_in and alsa_out for the headset which I can then patch into extra Pulse Bridges sinks and sources....

The troubles I'm facing and looking for help are:

A) I managed to add the alsa_in and out as custom commands to my session in claudia with these commands:

command: alsa_in -j Headset -d hw:0 -r 44100
name: Headset

command: alsa_out -j Headset -d hw:0 -r 44100
name: Headset

The trouble is they start and run now, but the headset id has changed during boot before... I'm trying to see if there's any systemd/udev way I can stabilize the names for alsa, but I can't find any and any help is welcome.

B) I can't find a way to create extra pulse jack bridges so that I can sink/source the headset to/from it, and choose that bridge (named specially) as the "card" to use in my pulse based programs. There's a mention of a patch to Cadence that adds this option here: https://github.com/falkTX/Cadence/issues/234 but the person who mentions the experimental patch hasn't share it (that I can find) on his github, so I can't test it, and I wonder if there's any config file way to achieve this even right now or if I'll have to modify code for the pulse bridge for this, and if I do, whether there's any such changes somewhere before I embark on trying to do this via code.

C) My session sets up a patch from my default pulse source to carla to the hardware sink... but every time it starts, the system also automatically patches the pulse bvridge source to the hardware sink. There's an option in cadence settings to "Ignore self connect requests to external ports only" but it doesn't seem to affect this behaviour. And whenever I restart my system, that setting is reset back to the default of "Don't restrict self connect requests"... so it seems the setting is not being saved... what I wonder is what config file is this setting applied to? so that I can see its permissions, and try editing the setting directly in vim to see if it takes....

Thanks for any possible feedback and help.