Can't get the right monitor resolution

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

ciacnorris
Established Member

Can't get the right monitor resolution

Post by ciacnorris »

Hello,

I've just installed KXStudio 14.04.5 on a pc (it's an ASUS VivoMini UN65U or something very similar).
It works with the wrong screen resolution, doesn't recognise the second screen and I can't do anything about it in KDE's system settings (just one screen, one possible resolution and one possible refresh rate are shown).

I have tried the hardware drivers tool but it keeps looking for drivers forever and doesn't do anything.

How can I proceed?
Michael Willis
Established Member

Re: Can't get the right monitor resolution

Post by Michael Willis »

I hadn't heard of that machine. After a quick look, it seems likea nice little box, if you can get the displays working right.

The first thing to do is type the following command into a terminal:

Code: Select all

lspci
This lists your peripheral devices. Find the line that corresponds to your display adapter, it may start with "VGA compatible controller..." Post that line on this forum and we might be able to better help you get it working.

If you haven't tried a different Linux distro, you could try booting a live ISO of some mainstream distro like Ubuntu or Mint. If you still experience the video problem, then it is likely a more general problem between Linux and your hardware, rather than an issue with KXStudio.
ciacnorris
Established Member

Post by ciacnorris »

Michael Willis wrote:Find the line that corresponds to your display adapter, it may start with "VGA compatible controller..." Post that line on this forum and we might be able to better help you get it working.
Voila:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Sky Lake Integrated Graphics (rev 07)
I have also tried inxi -Fx:

Graphics:  Card: Intel Sky Lake Integrated Graphics bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: fbdev,intel (unloaded: vesa) Resolution: 1024x768@76.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.4, 256 bits) GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 10.1.3 Direct Rendering: Yes
Michael Willis wrote:If you haven't tried a different Linux distro, you could try booting a live ISO of some mainstream distro like Ubuntu or Mint. If you still experience the video problem, then it is likely a more general problem between Linux and your hardware, rather than an issue with KXStudio.
I have already tried Kubuntu 18.04 and it works with no problems.
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

What does xrandr show?
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

I think you might need to update the kernel and graphics drivers. You could do it with PPAs (like adding liquorix kernel will give you a very recent one) it might be worth waiting for the next kxstudio iso release (there is a beta available on the forum but I don't know if it is in an installable state, next one should be fairly soon apparently) or just install kde neon. The next kxstudio release is based on Neon so if you install Neon and add kxstudio repo you're only missing some theming perhaps but even that I expect will be available at some point. This is the path I took and it works really well, it's quick, easy and works perfectly. Neon has just moved to 18 as a base so if kubuntu worked for you then neon should as well.
ciacnorris
Established Member

Post by ciacnorris »

finotti wrote:What does xrandr show?

xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
Screen 0: minimum 1024 x 768, current 1024 x 768, maximum 1024 x 768
default connected primary 1024x768+0+0 0mm x 0mm
   1024x768       76.0*