Will kxstudio packages work on a wayland desktop?

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

millerthegorilla
Established Member

Will kxstudio packages work on a wayland desktop?

Post by millerthegorilla »

If I install the repos or wait for the new kxstudio distro and then install wayland desktop, what are the chances that the kxstudio apps and plugins in the repos will work?

Many thanks.
sysrqer
Established Member

Re: Will kxstudio packages work on a wayland desktop?

Post by sysrqer »

I seem to remember reading that ardour won't work or be supported for a long time although I could be wrong.
millerthegorilla
Established Member

I'm running wayland fedora right now and ardour is working fine, but I wonder if the plugins and in particular the kxstudio apps like cadence and carla will work ok. I'm fairly certain its a bit of redundant question since most stuff will probably work, and unless its tested one just wouldn't know.
The reason that I'm asking is because I want to transition to wayland as fast as possible, as I kept having problems with hackers using the anonymous X11 socket on my ubuntu installs to use keystroke loggers and injection attacks.
So I have fedora with the audio spin installed but its not particularly complete in comparison to KxStudio, so I quite fancy either keeping it and installing the apps that I would normally have on KxStudio or wait for the new iso and try wayland or install kde neon now, switch to wayland and then install the kxstudio repos.
Not sure which is the best option, but I'm quite familiar with building software and kernels etc, so it won't be a problem to test, but I thought I'd ask first to see if anyone has any experience. I really like Fedora now, as I like having a robust instance of selinux, wayland, and I've also been getting used to gnome3.

Cheers
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

I would think that if you are that experienced then there's nothing (as far as I know) that Fedora can offer that Neon cannot, I assume selinux can be set up exactly the same if you're willing to put the work in. As you've said, fedora means you have to do a lot more manual work to get the same stuff that kxstudio can provide quickly and easily. This is the main reason I don't use arch, for me it's just not worth all the extra work when the main focus is audio and it means building so much stuff, even if it is reasonably semi-automated.

Neon can run with wayland so I'm not sure what you would really get out using fedora except for not needing to configure selinux how you like, with the exception of gnome3 of course.

How did you know about the attacks, just out of curiosity?

I think this is the thread I was thinking about regarding ardour - https://community.ardour.org/node/14617

That said, I don't have any experience with wayland and I can't get it to work with nvidia although I haven't really investigated much so perhaps it is possible.
millerthegorilla
Established Member

I get hacked because I'm in a difficult situation at the moment, on the receiving end of some pretty nasty people. Its not that I'm that knowledgeable about linux but I've been resisting for so long that statistically I was gonna end up spotting it sooner or later. The anonymous X11 socket was introduced into the kernel for no other reason than as a backdoor imo.
It sounds a bit wierd I know, but there we are.
As for selinux, I'd much rather it than apparmor, just because conceptually, I think it is stronger. However, I'm kind of too lazy to set it up on my own, or rather, busy with other things. However, it would be easier to install kxstudio or neon with repos, install wayland and learn selinux than try and compile all the different plugins that I can get from the repos just by using ubuntu, and I have used it for over ten years, plus I should know the selinux framework better than I do.
Cheers anyway, I'll probably go with neon and install the repos, and then install kxstudio distro when it arrives.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Perhaps falktx can give more input on this but I don't think you will gain much, if anything at all, from installing the new iso vs installing neon and adding the repo.

Also, you could also grab the configs from selinux on fedora and set it up on neon. I don't know much about selinux but you must be able to transfer the configs, although might be best for you to learn it so you know what you're being protected against and where holes might lie.