not detecting VSTs

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

18musicians
Established Member

not detecting VSTs

Post by 18musicians »

I have a folder of linux VSTs that I want to use, mostly generated from Cabbage or Camomile. In my Linux Mint installation these VSTs work fine (tested in Ardour and Qtractor). But running in KXStudio distro install these are not detected during plugin scan. At first I thought this was a Carla issue. But I get the same behavior in Carla, Ardour, and Qtractor. In each of these hosts I'm including my vst folder for plugin path searching. In fact, while Carla scans plugins I do see a couple of these plugin filenames flash by. So it's seeing them but rejects them for some reason. Seems to be something across the installation, not just a particular app. Why would they not work in KXstudio when they work elsewhere? Any ideas? thanks!
18musicians
Established Member

Re: not detecting VSTs

Post by 18musicians »

Nice troubleshooting tool! OK, I ran it on some of the problematic plugins. With the Cabbage plugins I'm getting "carla-discovery::error::Plugin doesn't have an Unique ID". That gives me something to go on. These were a mix of ones I either built myself (not yet knowing what I'm doing) or got elsewhere. I'll go back and try rebuilding them, with attention to the ID issue.

On the Camomile plugins I'm getting "carla-discovery::error::/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.8' not found". I built these ones with latest Camomile v1.0.3 (in the Mint install, where they worked smoothly). From this, it's not clear to me if this is a Camomile issue or what... What do you suggest I do next?
Thanks for your help, and for all your wonderful tools!!
18musicians
Established Member

Post by 18musicians »

OK, got it! Thanks again, FalkTX!!
logicgate
Established Member

Post by logicgate »

I'm having a related problem with Carla. I'm on Arch Linux (not using KXStudio) and so hope this isn't off-topic.

A few days ago I updated a lot of software (for the first time in several months). Carla was among the programs that were updated (I now have version 1.9.8; 2.0-beta6).

Carla now finds only Internal and LV2 plugins. It doesn't find VST, LADSPA, or DSSI plugins.

I ran carla-discovery-native on a few VST and LADSPA plugins and got what appear to be correct results (no errors).

I don't have the version number of the previous version of Carla I had but noted that it was the Git version, installed from the Arch User Repository on 31 October, 2017. Carla is now in Arch's Community repository and that's where the new version came from.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
logicgate
Established Member

Post by logicgate »

Rescanning solved my problem. Thank you!

I had rescanned before but it didn't work. Perhaps I had a version conflict of some sort because I suspect that Carla wasn't finding the scanning tools (carla-discovery-native and python3-rdflib) before. Since I last scanned I've uninstalled and reinstalled Carla, which I assume fixed the problem.

Thanks again!