pure data issues

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

18musicians
Established Member

pure data issues

Post by 18musicians »

I can't seem to get Pd to work. I'm in KXStudio distro. The installed package is "puredata" version 0.45.4-1. When I start Pd, it comes up with a black on black color scheme, which is very difficult to read. But then I can't get any audio to work. Audio defaults to ALSA. When I try turning DSP On, I get "ALSA input error (snd_pcm_open): Device or resource busy". When I try switching audio server to JACK, the whole program pretty much locks up. It won't even close, and i have to manually kill the process. Everything else in Kxstudio has been working fine. Any ideas? thanks in advance!
barbouze
Established Member

Re: pure data issues

Post by barbouze »

This is an old version of PD that is provided by Ubuntu.
You should compile it yourself from here to get 0.48.1 with jack support. If you don't feel compiling you can also try Purr Data, which looks really promising and ships with a lot of externals :D
18musicians
Established Member

Post by 18musicians »

Oh, ok... I had just assumed it was audio software so it would be in the kxstudio repo, and didn't even think to look at where the package actually came from. Makes a bit more sense now. Would it make sense to add it to kxstudio? Meanwhile I'll use one of your suggestions. Thanks!!
lilakmonoke
Established Member

Post by lilakmonoke »

definitely use purr-data! pd-extended is dead and purr has the same extensions and looks a lot better. its a totally different user experience and im doing all my sequencing in it. a few more steps like that and its up there with MAX :-)