Next release kx studio (curiosity)

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

gennargiu
Established Member

Next release kx studio (curiosity)

Post by gennargiu »

Is the next release of kx studio possible to be based on lighter environments than the good kde? How many real opportunities have we seen a mate study or a xfce studio or a lxde studio with the next iso in May 2018? Thanks for any feedback and support :wink:

gennaro
Hp Elite 8200 3,1 Ghz - 16 Giga Ram Hd 2 Terabyte - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8 - Mixbus 7
Asus X54c - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8- Mixbus 7-RPI3 + Raspbian Buster- Rpi4 (4giga ram)
gennargiu
Established Member

Re: Next release kx studio (curiosity)

Post by gennargiu »

falkTX wrote:KXStudio is what I personally use, so I do it with personal preferences in mind first of all.
The fact that window controls are on the left is because I prefer them that way :)

I got a new laptop recently (offered by work company) and I've been trying KDE neon on it (based on 16.04).
I was a little disappointed with kubuntu, but kde neon had me impressed.
I'm still undecided on what to use for 18.04 ISOs, but kde neon is now on top of the list of possibilities.
(obviously using a kde neon LTS version, not bledging-edge stuff)
Thanks falkTX, then we just have to wait for the new version with enthusiasm, although the current kx studio 14.04.05 is fine. We just hope that the new version in terms of hardware resources is not particularly heavy with older computers, otherwise it will mean we have to renew our obsolete computers :D

gennaro
Hp Elite 8200 3,1 Ghz - 16 Giga Ram Hd 2 Terabyte - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8 - Mixbus 7
Asus X54c - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8- Mixbus 7-RPI3 + Raspbian Buster- Rpi4 (4giga ram)
MGdesigner
Established Member

Post by MGdesigner »

I prefer Mate+compiz,too.

Because
Image compiz can extend a windows to several virtual screens long. It's a must-function while you are mixing music for serious business(30 tracks~60 tracks) ,but you only have a real monitor.

2. tunable transparency effect for window is very useful for piano roll scores editing. It's functionally useful for different midi tracks checking.

You know sometimes we copy and paste some melody. Then we may shift to wrong key,and many fresh midi folks still have not good ear-listening to check by ears.

3.On a computer made in 2010 (come with Intel inner GPU) , KXstudio 14.04+mate+compiz works very fine. Not heavy. If you don't like Compiz , still can turn it off easily. Then it will use lighter resource,so computers made in 2006 still can work.
Metrophage
Established Member

Post by Metrophage »

falkTX wrote: I got a new laptop recently (offered by work company) and I've been trying KDE neon on it (based on 16.04).
I was a little disappointed with kubuntu, but kde neon had me impressed.
I just installed KDE neon 5.8.7 myself, and like it so far. My system had been running Mint 17.x with KXStudio, but my drive failed, and when I tried replacing it I had trouble with the Mint 18.2 installer and the partitioning scheme I wanted. So I tried Kubuntu 16.10 and now neon. So far it seems quite tight, well-organized, and responsive.

Looking forward to how it will do when I get into more A/V work soon.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

I would be very happy if it was based on Neon, I use the non LTS version and it's still rock solid.
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

You can always install Debian or any Debian spinoff such as Mint with a lightweight desktop, and add KXStudio as a repository. Works a treat to me.

Mind you, I've never run KXStudio as a distro, but if I did, I would hope you would be able to install and use any other desktop environment you like on it, too. I don't see why not. I even suspect it's a Debian under the hood anyway.
gennargiu
Established Member

Post by gennargiu »

Luc wrote:You can always install Debian or any Debian spinoff such as Mint with a lightweight desktop, and add KXStudio as a repository. Works a treat to me.

Mind you, I've never run KXStudio as a distro, but if I did, I would hope you would be able to install and use any other desktop environment you like on it, too. I don't see why not. I even suspect it's a Debian under the hood anyway.
hello Luc I'm actually experimenting with various desktop solutions for debian-based or ubuntu based distribution for audio production. With debian I found myself well on imac 24 which is quite obsolete as hardware using various lightweight like xfce, mate, lxde, lqxt, but likewise after installing kx studio I was impressed with its use and the low demand of resources to run the entire operating system. Among other things i like the kxstudio philosophy of having everything focused on the audio production I would really say a great distro I also use on the Asus x54c notebook. :wink:

gennaro
Skrappjaw
Established Member

Post by Skrappjaw »

falkTX wrote:
I'm still undecided on what to use for 18.04 ISOs, but kde neon is now on top of the list of possibilities.
(obviously using a kde neon LTS version, not bledging-edge stuff)
The base of Neon is Ubuntu LTS. Plasma Desktop has its own LTS and rolling on top of the Ubuntu LTS.
korakios
Established Member

Post by korakios »

I prefer Debian over Ubuntu ,but if Ubuntu , KDE Neon looks great :)