Set midi-in port/channel and audio-out channel in Carla instrument plugins

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

PTPi
Established Member

Set midi-in port/channel and audio-out channel in Carla instrument plugins

Post by PTPi »

When I add an instrument plugin to the Carla rack (sf2, sfz), I need to tell it which midi port and channel to listen on. Is this possible?

I have a symphony orchestra set up in LinuxSampler, which allows me to do this, but it's unwieldy to maintain. I would like to load all the instruments in Carla instead.

The orchestra is driven by MuseScore, which assigns channel numbers to staves in score order, top to bottom, automatically assigning new midi-out ports when the channel limit of 16 is reached. Thus, the piccolo is on midi-out-1/channel-1, the flutes on midi-out-1/channel-2, ..., the 1st violins (bowed) on midi-out-3/channel-5, the 1st violins (pizzicato) on midi-out-3/channel-6, and so on.

Aside from the fact that I can't locate a place to specify the midi port to listen on, changing the channel number in the plugins' Output tab has no effect either. If I connect MuseScore's midi-out-1 to "events-in" of the piccolo, the flute, and the oboe and their audio-out to system-playback, all three play regardless of which staff has notes.
noedig
Established Member

Re: Set midi-in port/channel and audio-out channel in Carla instrument plugins

Post by noedig »

You could use MIDI filter LV2 plugins. I think there are a bunch in the x42 plugins, as well as an internal Carla MIDI Channel Filter.
PTPi
Established Member

Re: Set midi-in port/channel and audio-out channel in Carla instrument plugins

Post by PTPi »

Thanks/