Network connection with KXStudio 14.04.2

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

baconature
Established Member

Network connection with KXStudio 14.04.2

Post by baconature »

How does one get the networkmanager to work with this OS? I have a fresh install but can't connect it to the internet, no updates, or other can happen without a connection.

This seems so stupid. I have been trying to connect for several days. It is like chasing my shadow around a light pole. Nothing I do works, and I am unable to find valid information on how to set it up.

Thanks,
Tom ~ Idaho USA

UbuntuStudio 20.04, Intel i5 3.30GHz 6600, Asus Q170Mc MotherBoard, 32Gb ram

My Music
hyenaz
Established Member

Re: Network connection with KXStudio 14.04.2

Post by hyenaz »

Hi,

I have the same problem with newer hardware, whereas an older laptop works fine. I think that Ubuntu 14.04 (upon which KXStudio 14.04.2 is based) doesn't support my network adapters. It might be the same for you.

For sure there is some solution, but I couldn't be bothered uncovering it and I just installed Ubuntu MATE 16.04 and enabled KXStudio repositories which works rather well.

I have always wondered if there is a clear benefit to using KXStudio distribution vs. Ubuntu + repositories but haven't found a clear answer.

All the best

Adrienne
baconature
Established Member

Re: Network connection with KXStudio 14.04.2

Post by baconature »

Hi,
I think there may be some benefit in KXStudio, although I remain without absolution as to the question. I am pretty sure that ubuntu 16.04 alters the function of my USB sound card (Focusrite Scarlett 18i20). I used KXStudio 12.04 for some time several years ago now and like some of its features. Still you are correct that use of the KXStudio Repository brings most of the function to play with OS X.x. As to the seeming disabling of network manager in the OS, I think with some understanding of the software and how that can be corrected it should be a rather simple thing to correct. Still I am but a musician, not a computer expert. I don't know about networking. Most network management systems (Ethernet connectivity) work on install yet this one doesn't. I simply want to know how to find the software and enable it. I seem able to find it's GUI, yet that doesn't seem to allow changing its settings, or maybe it is just my ignorance as to what is required.
Tom ~ Idaho USA

UbuntuStudio 20.04, Intel i5 3.30GHz 6600, Asus Q170Mc MotherBoard, 32Gb ram

My Music