Concept issues after reading the docs

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

estonoesunusuario
Established Member

Concept issues after reading the docs

Post by estonoesunusuario »

After some years, I've decided to re-read all the KXStudio docs, but I'm still having issues to understand some concepts.

1) If I have made a big setup in Carla, and I want to save it for later use, it seems like I'm late and I should have made it everything on Claudia. Can I open Claudia to safely save a LADISH session of that?
What's the purpose of saving a Carla project if most connections will not be preserved? Should I always use Claudia in that case?

2) Carla has 4 modes,

- One-client tells: _"This is needed when a setup doesn't support multi-client JACK apps, such as LADISH."_ That sounds like Claudia but without the ability to save/restore the session?
- Multi-client option is the default, and I get the idea.
- Rack Not modular, plugins in sequence.
- Patchbay Same as Multi-client, what's the difference?

3) Considering Pulse Audio Bridge enabled (with `ALSA -> Loop -> JACK` configuration), sometimes when making some connections in Carla, adding new JACK clients makes Carla or JACK reconnect default input/output connections as before. Do you guess why that can happen?

4) I have like 16 MIDI Through ports (http://i.imgur.com/j3Od3xB.png) I don't use, where can I control how many I want?

5) Everytime I need to record something, I look at the target device dumping them all with `arecord -L`, and running i.e `alsa_in -d "hw:camera" -j USB-MIC`, and so on. Is there any way to expose all inputs in Carla?

6) What's the difference between having `ALSA -> PulseAudio -> JACK` vs. `ALSA -> Loop -> JACK` (when PulseAudio bridge is enabled)?

I really appreciate the effort made in Linux Audio, specially you @falkTX. Things are less complicated compared to few years ago, and I still want to use GNU/Linux for audio because it's possible to connect everything with everything! but there's a lot of confusion, mostly for newcomers.
estonoesunusuario
Established Member

Re: Concept issues after reading the docs

Got it, mostly!

Right, we should help you with the docs.
falkTX wrote:In short, Carla is an application that loads plugins.
Claudia is an application that starts&stops other applications.
Both have a patchbay view (because they share some code), but putting that aside their functionality is entirely different.
So, in general people would want to save their setup to use it later. What's the purpose of Carla in that sense? I always use Carla to make the patchbay connections (because I'm in love with a girl named Carla too), but I guess I would always open Claudia in order to save my setup into a LADISH session.

Is a Claudia's LADISH session equal to a big One-Client JACK client? Besides that, I understood the 4 modes.

Only drawback is that I'm not sure why Claudia doesn't remember the position of the nodes, because when I open it they are all sparsed away.
falkTX wrote:This is because you're using Claudia, which assumes you want connections made by it to be remade when clients go away and appear again.
To stop the reconnection, disconnect the ports from within Claudia.
Right, I had Claudia start at OS startup with a default session, that's why.
falkTX wrote:Not at the moment.
I've thought about making a plugin that does the same as alsa_in/out, so this kind of setup gets easier to manage, but this does not exist yet.
Oh! seems like a basic need.. but maybe i'm in the wrong path of doing it.
estonoesunusuario
Established Member

Re: Concept issues after reading the docs

falkTX wrote:Not at the moment.
I've thought about making a plugin that does the same as alsa_in/out, so this kind of setup gets easier to manage, but this does not exist yet.
Daniela? :roll:
:lol:

Anyway, got the ideas, thanks! I'll keep reading and learning
Hope to help with the docs after playing and get some practice