[SOLVED] jack ardour scarlett 2i2 feedback

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

nixit
Established Member

[SOLVED] jack ardour scarlett 2i2 feedback

Post by nixit »

Good afternoon all,

I am a voiceover artist and have been using audacity. My VO mentors suggest using a DAW, so I recently installed Jack2 and ardour.

I've gone through many sites on setting up jack, ardour and even audacity, and results vary.

I have my mic in my booth with my scarlett 2i2, so I would like to set that up with jack as input. I would then like my Audigy card on my desktop to be output, since that's what I will be using when I edit the audio. I also set this up in jack (using Cadence and qtjackctl).

However, when I load up Ardour and add a track, I all of a sudden get feedback through my speakers. The feedback goes away when I record or play, but not just sitting there.

Do I have something set up incorrectly? is it possible to have jack use 1 audio device (scarlett 2i2) as input and 1 audio device (audigy) as output?

I would also like to get audacity to use jack, and have also had mixed results, which I'll post in a different thread.

I do appreciate all the help, and let me know what specific information you may need from my setup.

cheers,

--nixIT
Last edited by nixit on Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rghvdberg
Established Member

Re: jack ardour audacity config with scarlett 2i2

Post by rghvdberg »

http://jackaudio.org/faq/multiple_devices.html

The feedback might/must be a routing thing. Hard to tell without looking at the actual session.

When recording with a microphone you'll need headphones. I presume you use that.
nixit
Established Member

Post by nixit »

Thanx, I believe it is a routing thing, and when I have it set up, I have qjackctl (and cadence) set up for line in to be my scarlett 2i2, and line out to be the audigy.

When I record, I do get the recording through the scarlett, and when playing back it is through my audigy, so I am guessing routing is correct. It's just when ardour is sitting idle, I am assuming ardour keeps line in and line out open (monitoring?) which is causing feedback. I'm not sure where to turn monitoring off in ardour to see if that's causing it.

When I plug headphones into my audigy I do not get the feedback when it's sitting idle.

question is, is there a way to eliminate the feedback without keeping the headphones plugged into the audigy? I would hate to keep stopping and starting jack, which will then require a relaunch of ardour to change input and outputs withing qjackctl.

I'm fairly new to this, and am trying to learn all I can.

Thanx for the URL, I've read that page a half dozen times and I'm still trying to understand everything on it.

--nixIT
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

This is a bit off-topic, but I had a lot of trouble configuring my 2i2 as input and my sound card (Xonar) as output. I had a lot of xruns when recording. I'd recommend you use the 2i2 for output also. I don't understand what you mean
nixit wrote: I would then like my Audigy card on my desktop to be output, since that's what I will be using when I edit the audio.
I have my 2i2 as the only "sound card". It works just fine, and most likely with much better AD/DA converters...

As for the feedback: what does Edit -> Preferences -> Audio -> Record Monitoring Handled By say?

Also, a screenshot of Candence my help debug.
nixit
Established Member

Post by nixit »

I found it under Signal Flow.

It is currently set to Ardour. Should it be set to audio hardware?

--nixIT
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

OK, reading your post more carefully:
nixit wrote: It's just when ardour is sitting idle, I am assuming ardour keeps line in and line out open (monitoring?) which is causing feedback. I'm not sure where to turn monitoring off in ardour to see if that's causing it.
On the voice track in the mixer window there are "IN" and "DISK" buttons (besides the record button). Click on DISK. (It should become solid orange.) This tells Ardour to only play what is on disk (recorded) for this track, so, basically, monitoring is off. (When IN is solid orange, it always plays what is coming from the mic. When its orange on the border, the default, it plays the recorded version on play, and the mic when stopped or recording, if I am not mistaken.)

And I would leave the monitoring set to Ardour.

I hope this helps.
nixit
Established Member

Post by nixit »

Thanx, I will give this a shot.

Appreciate your help!

-nixIT
nixit
Established Member

Post by nixit »

w00t! That does help, THANX! finally, no more feedback through my speakers. Now I just need to remember to make sure disk is selected.