system crashes

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

jon tomes
Established Member

Re: system crashes

Post by jon tomes »

sysrqer wrote:Could you post the output of 'groups'?

I don't see much in that log unfortunately. Is the system up to date? You could try running a memtest, there should be an option for it in the grub.
Maybe install inxi and run 'inxi -Fx'.
ran 'groups' in terminal - tom adm cdrom sudo audio dip video plugdev lpadmin sambashare

no option for for memtest in grub

'inxi -Fx' yielded
System: Host: tom-MS-7642 Kernel: 3.13.0-119-lowlatency x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.4)
Desktop: KDE 4.13.3 (Qt 4.8.6) Distro: Ubuntu 14.04 trusty
Machine: Mobo: MSI model: 890GXM-G65 (MS-7642) version: 1.0 Bios: American Megatrends version: V1.13 date: 01/12/2012
CPU: Quad core AMD FX-4100 (-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 28799.6
Clock Speeds: 1: 1400.00 MHz 2: 3600.00 MHz 3: 1400.00 MHz 4: 2500.00 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Cape Verde PRO [Radeon HD 7750/8740 / R7 250E] bus-ID: 01:00.0
X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD CAPE VERDE GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.1.3 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Cape Verde/Pitcairn HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 7700/7800 Series]
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1
Card-2: Alesis driver: USB Audio usb-ID: 004-002
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.13.0-119-lowlatency
Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
driver: r8169 ver: 2.3LK-NAPI port: c800 bus-ID: 02:00.0
IF: eth0 state: down mac: 8c:89:a5:10:4c:88
Card-2: Ralink RT5370 Wireless Adapter driver: rt2800usb ver: 2.3.0 usb-ID: 002-002
IF: wlan0 state: up mac: e8:4e:06:17:80:9d
Drives: HDD Total Size: 120.0GB (22.9% used) 1: id: /dev/sde model: INTEL_SSDSA2M120 size: 120.0GB
Partition: ID: / size: 102G used: 26G (27%) fs: ext4 ID: /boot size: 236M used: 51M (23%) fs: ext2
ID: swap-1 size: 8.57GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
RAID: No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 7.2C mobo: N/A gpu: 42.0
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 278 Uptime: 5 min Memory: 1018.8/3935.0MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4
Client: Shell (bash 4.3.11) inxi: 1.9.17
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

I don't see anything obvious but I'm no expert. One thing could be to update your distro, that's pretty old now, although I don't know how easy it is to go from one major version to another with Ubuntu. Failing that I would try a new kernel, it could be that. If you have ksyslog you could have a look through the kernel messages and xorg log to see if anything looks serious.

Not really sure what to suggest to try a new one, I'm not sure how to force an old ubuntu to use a newer kernel, think you would need to try the HWE (hardware enablement) but then I believe you have to upgrade Xorg and some other stuff, would be a big upgrade but then again maybe the graphics stack is the problem.
I use this one at the moment - https://launchpad.net/~nick-athens30/+a ... /xenialmub (MuQSS is the next generation of the BFS/ck patch).
There are instructions listed for adding the PPA and installing, you don't have much to lose, best case it fixes the problem, worst case you just choose the original kernel at grub, uninstall the kernel and remove the ppa.
jon tomes
Established Member

Post by jon tomes »

Thanks sysrqer

My original intention with this install was kxstudio 16.04 but the only version on the site was 14.04 so I went with that

Does 16.04 exist, or what recommendations would anyone have for this hardware?

Many thanks
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

if possible run a live distro form dvd or stick to rule out hardware failure
jon tomes
Established Member

Post by jon tomes »

rghvdberg wrote:if possible run a live distro form dvd or stick to rule out hardware failure
Thanks for the reply, but I don't understand why that rules out hardware failure - can you explain a little please?
jon tomes
Established Member

Post by jon tomes »

jon tomes wrote:
rghvdberg wrote:if possible run a live distro form dvd or stick to rule out hardware failure
Thanks for the reply, but I don't understand why that rules out hardware failure - can you explain a little please?
Sorry I think you meant as a precaution, is that right?
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

jon tomes wrote: Does 16.04 exist, or what recommendations would anyone have for this hardware?
Many thanks
No, there are only images based on 14.*
That should be fine for most cases, it's quite well tested and stable but personally I prefer to have more up to date things. You could install your preferred version of *buntu and add the kxstudio repos, it gets you to the same place pretty easily but means you have a more up to date base. Maybe try other easier things first though, like running from a live usb, then getting a newer/different kernel version.

In your inxi the cpu temp looks a bit odd, that could just be the sensors not working right with your hardware (and not an issue) but is your computer getting hot? The fans are working ok?
jon tomes
Established Member

Post by jon tomes »

sysrqer wrote:
jon tomes wrote: Does 16.04 exist, or what recommendations would anyone have for this hardware?
Many thanks
No, there are only images based on 14.*
That should be fine for most cases, it's quite well tested and stable but personally I prefer to have more up to date things. You could install your preferred version of *buntu and add the kxstudio repos, it gets you to the same place pretty easily but means you have a more up to date base. Maybe try other easier things first though, like running from a live usb, then getting a newer/different kernel version.

In your inxi the cpu temp looks a bit odd, that could just be the sensors not working right with your hardware (and not an issue) but is your computer getting hot? The fans are working ok?
Thanks I'll give that a try
Before the end of the last install the fans were running fast and I changed the settings in the bios stupidly
Sorry I should have mentioned that before
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

Yes, your machine may be overheating.

Or else, I would suspect hardware failure. You might run System Rescue CD or just about any other boot CD and run memtest on it. If it freezes, it's hardware. If it doesn't, it's something in the production system.
jon tomes
Established Member

Post by jon tomes »

i also noticed that only 4gb of memory is being seen by both the current install and the live usb stick - 16gb is installed

on the verge of reinstalling mint now
jon tomes
Established Member

Post by jon tomes »

42low wrote:
jon tomes wrote:My original intention with this install was kxstudio 16.04 but the only version on the site was 14.04 so I went with that

As rvdberg said, try live runs.

Other option.
Kx studio is no more than a collection of applications and plugins for audio production.
You can install a distri as you wish and install those program's you want and need. All plugins can be installed too in packs.

That's how i did it. I've build my own studio with the programs i like, leaving out those i don't want (which can always be installed if again wished).
thanks, the reason i like kx is the way it's configured, but i will certainly do as you suggest

meanwhile i have found out that each memory stick is only being read as 2gb, not 4 as written on them, when i first used them they were being read as 4 each - is it time for new memory sticks or should they work like this; could this be something to do with my problems?
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

Install Ubuntu or Debian like distro then read this.
http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/Repositories
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

jon tomes wrote:
42low wrote:
jon tomes wrote:My original intention with this install was kxstudio 16.04 but the only version on the site was 14.04 so I went with that

As rvdberg said, try live runs.

Other option.
Kx studio is no more than a collection of applications and plugins for audio production.
You can install a distri as you wish and install those program's you want and need. All plugins can be installed too in packs.

That's how i did it. I've build my own studio with the programs i like, leaving out those i don't want (which can always be installed if again wished).
thanks, the reason i like kx is the way it's configured, but i will certainly do as you suggest

meanwhile i have found out that each memory stick is only being read as 2gb, not 4 as written on them, when i first used them they were being read as 4 each - is it time for new memory sticks or should they work like this; could this be something to do with my problems?
If all banks are read wrong? Broken motherboard would be my assumption.
But I have little knowledge of hardware.
jon tomes
Established Member

Post by jon tomes »

ok - update

i've installed mint 17.1 after a torture test on the live usb stick - everything is fine

many thanks to all who helped
jon tomes
Established Member

Post by jon tomes »

lol, ok