Ghost processes locking Pulseaudio, others

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

scacinto
Established Member

Ghost processes locking Pulseaudio, others

Post by scacinto »

[Disclaimer] I'm not sure this is a KXStudio problem, but I'm posting here just in case.

System Hardware: Dell XPS desktop, Core i7 processor, 16 GB RAM, 1 TB HD
System software: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS with low-latency kernel (latest) and KXStudios meta-audio package. Cadence is used to start JACK and bridge PulseAudio. ALSA is bridged as ALSA -> JACK (Plugin).cade

The above system is duplicated on four machines in a music lab. Recently (noticed two-three weeks ago) users have complained that audio does not work and they must restart the system after which everything is fine.

I confirmed that despite logging out, any user that logs in with cadence will, upon logging out, still have three running processes:

Code: Select all

/lib/systemd/systemd --user
(sd-pam)
pulseaudio --daemonize --high-priority --realtime --exit-idle-time=-1 --file=/usr/share/cadence/pulse2jack/play+rec.pa -n
If these processes are killed (sudo killall -u USER) then everything will be fine when JACK is restarted using cadence.

In my troubleshooting I have tried updating all packages as well as installing a different desktop manager (to solve another issue related to the desktop suddenly not loaded for some users).

If a user stops JACK using Cadence prior to logout, the above processes do not remain on the system.