Carla pops when midi looping in Ardour 5.8

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

braintree12
Established Member

Carla pops when midi looping in Ardour 5.8

Post by braintree12 »

Hi, I installed Carla (the newest beta) today, loaded it as a plugin on an Ardour 5.8 audio + midi track. I have been trying out various plugins and was happy to discover that some of the ones that crashed when loaded directly in Ardour are functional in Carla.
My problem is, when playing a looped region on an Ardour midi track, I get a pop in Carla whenever it reaches the loop point. If I multi-duplicate the loop, so that say, 12 regions play, the sound is fine until it reaches the end of region 12, then it pops when it starts the cycle again. This is just a playback/monitoring issue, the pops aren't recorded on export.
I have found Ardour midi looping to be generally buggy, but I don't get any of these pops when playing the same softsynth or effect plugins outside of Carla. I've messed with lengthening buffers to no avail.
Do you have any suggestions for eliminating these pops?
I use Ubuntu Studio 16.04.
braintree12
Established Member

Re: Carla pops when midi looping in Ardour 5.8

Post by braintree12 »

Thanks. I was using Calf Monosynth, Harrison reverb and delay, and a few other plugins that don't cause pops when looping (if installed directly on a track without Carla). I use MIDI loops quite a bit in composing, and would love to be able to use Carla for some additional plugins. I'll keep an eye out for updates.