using Carla live with midi controller + midi feedback ?

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

thijsvs
Established Member

using Carla live with midi controller + midi feedback ?

Post by thijsvs »

hi all

just started using Carla and lovin it so far!
however ... i want to use it live on stage with midi keyboards and midi controllers (behringer BCR/BCF 2000)
a crucial part in this setup is midi feedback from the plugin > the midi controllers
if there is no feedback the controller and the actual plugin parameters are out of sync when you load a Carla preset

it looks like the softsynths (like Calf monosynth) simply dont have a midi output in Carla > the standalone version does have a midi out.
am i missing something, or am i simply out of luck here :-(

all input is welcome !

grtz
Thijs
progwolff
Established Member

Re: using Carla live with midi controller + midi feedback ?

Post by progwolff »

Given the monosynth does not generate MIDI events itself, you could just connect Carla's MIDI input with Carla's MIDI output and connect Carla's MIDI output with your controller. This way every MIDI event that is sent to Carla would be sent back to your controller.

If I understand you right, you additionally want Carla to send the values of all MIDI mapped parameters after loading a patch. Carla does not do this, but it would be a nice feature indeed!
thijsvs
Established Member

Re: using Carla live with midi controller + midi feedback ?

Post by thijsvs »

hi Progwolf, thanks for the reply !

as a sidenote : i stumbled upon a post where you talk about performer > sounds really interesting, i'll check it out asap !
i'm actually a bit surprised that something like performer is not baked in to Carla

anyway, back to the topic :
i have been using softsynths live for several years now and that mostly works 'fine'
my main workhorse is Amsynth, combined with Calf monosynth and Hydrogen which i all control via a BCR2000 and a midi keyboard

the biggest problem with my current setup it that i use a lot of scripts to make things work and it's becoming a real drag to maintain the setup
therefore i started looking for an alternative solution and after some testing decided to go with Carla (i love it !)

however ...
Amsynth as a standalone jack client provides midi feedback to my BCR, so when i load a different patch on Amsynth the rotary leds on the BCR are immediately in sync with the actual synth parameters
When i turn a knob on the Amsynth gui the leds on the BCR move along ... really handy ! This way i dont even have to look at the pc screen during a gig

i was kinda hoping that i would be able to do something similar with Carla
maybe not directly via the midi out of the individual plugins, but rather via a 'global' midi out of Carla

any ideas ?

grtz
Thijs