setBfree midi control

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

cemorse
Established Member

setBfree midi control

Post by cemorse »

Running Carla beta 4 under Ubuntu 16.04 and trying to use the internal setBfree plugin. Plugin won't accept midi cc assignments from keyboard fader controls but handles keyboard midi just fine. Standalone setbfree works just fine in this regard. But I'd rather use the plugin version to be able to save state. Any ideas?

Alternately, will the plugin version accept OSC messages?
cemorse
Established Member

Re: setBfree midi control

Post by cemorse »

Followup question - any way to resize the GUI window for the plugin so that both manuals are displayed? I prefer the non-angled view with both manuals, but this is secondary to getting the midi cc working...

I can zoom the organ using the keyboard commands within the fixed window, but the zoomed out state is not retained when window is closed and reopened.

Thanks...
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

Are midi cc activated on the plugin. IIRC cc are off by default in carla
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

yup, you need to check the "Send Control Changes"
setBfree DSP Tonewheel Organ_108.png
setBfree DSP Tonewheel Organ_108.png (66.93 KiB) Viewed 1052 times
cemorse
Established Member

Post by cemorse »

Thanks, that's probably it.. I noted changes are accepted if plugin loaded in Ardour. Will check later.
cemorse
Established Member

Post by cemorse »

That solved it, thanks.

Now another issue, is there a way to 'forget' default mappings? I now have my 9 faders controlling upper drawbars, but there are some rotary knobs which are assigned to volume faders in a mixer that simultaneously change some of the drawbars. IE two midi hardware controllers set to the same setbfree parameter. And for some reason the mod lever (spring return to zero) is now connected to the volume - its fine if I don't touch the mod lever while in setbfree, but if I accidentally bump it, the volume goes to zero... :-(

Its probably also something obvious, but I'm scratching my head, google hasn't helped and its probably obvious to one of you more experienced folk...
Frank Carvalho
Established Member

Post by Frank Carvalho »

And for some reason the mod lever (spring return to zero) is now connected to the volume - its fine if I don't touch the mod lever while in setbfree, but if I accidentally bump it, the volume goes to zero... :-(
I have had the same issue. setBfree uses some really strange MIDI mappings. Changing different parameters of the organ are handled by MIDI program changes. For instance, vibrato is controlled by MIDI PRG 42-51, the sustain pedal acts as leslie on/off and volume is controlled by the mod wheel.
As I run all my live MIDI through MidiLayer, I set up some MIDI filters in ML, and programmed the CC control there. I think it is necessary to use some MIDI remapping plugin in front of setBfree, in order to remap volume to mod wheel etc. or it is possible to edit the config file and do the remapping there.

/Frank
Vox, Selmer, Yamaha and Leslie amplifiers. Rickenbacker, Epiphone, Ibanez, Washburn, Segovia, Yamaha and Fender guitars. Hammond, Moog, Roland, Korg, Yamaha, Crumar, Ensoniq and Mellotron keyboards. Xubuntu+KXStudio recording setup.
cemorse
Established Member

Post by cemorse »

Frank, thanks for the insight. I thought about filtering, but I think what I may do is edit the default cfg file to set some of the problem items to a cc number I don't use, and preset the ones I want to my keyboard. For some reason it didn't occur to me to edit the default. I was trying to think of a clever way to autoload a custom cfg upon startup of plugin without access to command line parameters.