Carla: dividing big projects into scenes to increase performance

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

unfa
Established Member

Carla: dividing big projects into scenes to increase performance

Post by unfa »

I'm not sure if such idea exists somewhere already, so I wanted to ask first before making an Issue in Carla's Github.

The problem with making a Carla Project for a big gig is that you have so much plugins loaded and running at the same time that the normally sufficient hardware just can't deliver the needed performance - and you can't let your audio to glitch out during a live performance! (I did this - everybody's gonna hate you, but your bandmates the most).

However - you're using only a few of these plugins for each song, and the rest (possibly 80%) could be paused, lowering the DSP load, right?

But you can't wait between songs when a new Carla session loads for each song, you need all the plugins loaded and just "disabled" until you need them. But doing this manually is not possible - you need one button press to enable only the sent of plugins you'll need for the next song, making sure all the rest is not putting it's strain on the DSP system.

You need to define a scene for each song - defining what part of the project (or the plugin graph) belongs to what song, and develop an easy way to switch between these scenes.

Maybe a special CC control that can be iterated throught using your controller keyboard assignable buttons? Maybe a special hotkeys on your computer keyboard? Maybe a special foot pedal switch?

BTW - it would be crazy neat the previous scene be active for a while while it's still producing sound - for example to let that reverb tail fade uncut, while you play an intro to another song.

And be sure that the last scene will be disabled as soon as that reverb tail drops below -80 dB.

What do you think about this? Should I file an issue on github?

EDIT:

I modified the concept a bit and jumped to Github:
https://github.com/falkTX/Carla/issues/435