Linux Mint 18 and KXStudio repos

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

darrel_jw
Established Member

Linux Mint 18 and KXStudio repos

Post by darrel_jw »

I installed LM 18 Mate, then put KX repos on top of that. Almost everything was playing nicely, except Cadence (and therefore its tools). Cadence says it is missing jackdbus and stops, so I downgraded the KX repo apps, removed the repos, installed US audio apps and everything is playing nicely.

Two questions:
1. Is this issue due to LM 18 beta and KX repos?
2. If I install LM 17.3 and put KX repos on top of that will everything work?

Thanks for your help!

Darrel
darrel_jw
Established Member

Re: Linux Mint 18 and KXStudio repos

Post by darrel_jw »

Hello FalkTX, Yes it is based on Ubuntu 16.04. Mint 18 is still beta. When I start Cadence it takes a LONG time to finally start (I am running a pretty strong laptop, have installed low latency kernel, and tuned my system pretty well). Once Cadence does finally start everything relating to jack is greyed out, and the top menu bar says jackdbus is not there! The only thing I did prior to installing the repos was to install TuxGuitar version 1.2, then lock that version in synaptic manager.

I am willing to redo things, but only if we know it will play. I have everything working right now, including Guitar Pro (linux version), Linux Band, Mixbus and a whole log of windows apps running under Wine 1.8.

Darrel
eric71
Established Member

Post by eric71 »

I've been running 64 bit Mint 18 beta with Cinnamon since it was released, with lowlatency kernel and the KXStudio repos including the gcc5 stuff. I don't have any problems with Cadence. DId you add the gcc5 repo?
darrel_jw
Established Member

Post by darrel_jw »

Hmmm - that is very interesting! Yes, I had installed on this page ("http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/Repositories") for Debian/Ubuntu, then I did an update, then in Synaptic I did "kxstudio-default-settings" followed by "kxstudio-meta-all". The gcc5 is the 4th and 5th entries on the KXStudio page. So a couple of questions:

1. I re-ran the two gcc5 entries, installed the stand-alone cadence tar package, ran Cadence and took the attached snapshot. As you can see it says jackdbus is not available and all is greyed out. Did I do something wrong here?

2. I have a fully functioning LM 18 studio using US audio packages. Can I reinstall KX repos on top of this or will I encounter the same thing as shown in the image?

I appreciate both of your assistance. Thanks!

Darrel
Attachments
Cadence_008.png
Cadence_008.png (79.46 KiB) Viewed 1667 times
darrel_jw
Established Member

Post by darrel_jw »

Okay, this is frustrating! I installed the kxstudio deb package, installed gcc5, installed cadence (from synaptic) - and get the same thing as shown in the image from my last post - jackdbus is not available.

Help! What do I do? I am at a loss.

Darrel
tnovelli
Established Member

Post by tnovelli »

@darrel_jw - I haven't tried Mint 18 (17.1 and 17.3 are still perfectly good for my needs), but it looks like the package is available in 16.04: http://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/jackd2

There's a slightly different version of jackd2 in the kxstudio repo. If that doesn't work you could try the Ubuntu version ("Force Version" under one of the menus in Synaptic)

Make sure you've installed jackd2 (also known as jackdbus). Cadence doesn't work with jackd1.
darrel_jw
Established Member

Post by darrel_jw »

Here's where all this started from. I really like Linuxband (superb practicing tool). It works beautifully with Qsynth and connected via Qjackctl. But I don't like having to remember multiple connections, so I tried setting Gladish to maintain everything. Works well except I cannot get Linuxband to be started via Gladish. So I thought Cadence and Claudia might work real well, but no matter what I seem to do I cannot get Cadence to "see" jackdbus. Everything is now updated to KXStudio repos, but still no jackdbus.

So - is there anything else I can try? Please don't give up on me - I am open to suggestions.

Darrel
darrel_jw
Established Member

Post by darrel_jw »

Well, I have been reading and experimenting. Do you know ( :lol: ) NSM does everything I have been trying to do in Gladish and thinking I needed Cadence to do, and it just WORKS flawlessly! Not only does it allow me to add my various tools, but it remembers the jack connections and brings everything back. It just works!

Now if I can just get BIAB to playing ...
darrel_jw
Established Member

Post by darrel_jw »

I am truly excited now! Using NSM, Qjackctl and Qsynth - I now have Band in a Box playing beautifully in Linux Mint 18. I have fought this issue for over 3 years, and now it is playing beautifully. Wow!
tnovelli
Established Member

Post by tnovelli »

Cool. NSM is awesome if you're using more than just a DAW. Apparently LADISH, LASH, and Jack-session were all failed attempts at a session management system, whose only purpose now is to confuse newbies.

Cadence is just "a better Qjackctl" - a dashboard for JACK as well as the Alsa/Pulse bridges and cpu governor. It also tells you how to tweak your system config if it's suboptimal for JACK. But unfortunately it does rely on DBUS, which is, shall we say, a less-than-ideal de facto standard.
dennisrogers
Established Member

Post by dennisrogers »

@tnovelli, I hate to display my ignorance but what is NSM?
darrel_jw
Established Member

Post by darrel_jw »

Non-Session manager. :)

Darrel