KXStudio installs the installation window disappears

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

tonyH

Re: KXStudio installs the installation window disappears

Post by tonyH »

I ran into the same problem when attempting to install the ISO for v 14.04.2 /32 Bit. It would run fine as Live DVD, but failed install on multiple attempts. Thought maybe was a corrupt ISO, so re-downloaded from the KxStudio Download page, verified MD5 Sum, same error.
I had an ISO from v 14.04_b, which installed fine and ran a system upgrade as a work around so I'm up and running now.

CPU is an Intel Duo Core, 2.5 Ghz, 4 GB Ram, installing / on a 29 GB Ext4 Partition of a 1000 GB HDD, allocating 122 GB to /Home. Dual boot, running Linux Mint Debian on primary partition with Liquourix Kernel 4.2. Not UEFI Bios.

Here's CPU info:

Architecture: i686
CPU op-mode(s): 32-bit, 64-bit
Byte Order: Little Endian
CPU(s): 2
On-line CPU(s) list: 0,1
Vendor ID: GenuineIntel
CPU family: 6
Model: 23
CPU MHz: 2511.222
L1d cache: 32K
L1i cache: 32K
L2 cache: 2048K

Please let me know if you need any other info, but because I'm up and running, don't really need to re-install, but if needed, can retry to another available partition and try to retrieve error logs if there's a way to retrieve them.
tonyH

Post by tonyH »

Believe you nailed it falkTX.
Downloaded 14.04.02 / 64 Bit and installed on the same box on a separate partition with no issues.

Didn't realize my hardware was 64 Bit compatible, completed last M/B & CPU swap a couple years ago without doing an OS reinstall. Guess I'll be upgrading my production system to 64 Bit, add some memory. Hopefully improve latency setting to a smaller buffer.

Noticed that when installing 14.04.02/32 Bit was that it would begin running dpkg/config and downloading updates (even though box to d/l updates during install was Unchecked) when 'Copy Files' was at around 52-54% and it consistently failed right after displaying 'Creating User...'
14.04.02/64 Bit and 14.04_b/32 Bit do not begin running DPKG, Configurations or Downloading updates until file copy has completed.

Thanks for the help and guidance.
mocomber

Post by mocomber »

I'll add another vote to crashing on 32-bit FYI
Schwob
Established Member

Post by Schwob »

I think I'm having the same issue on a AMD Phenom II. Also no UEFI. Unfortunately I have some reasons for sticking to 32bit at least for a while.

Is there a workaround or something else so that I can get the installer to work?
Spanner
Established Member

Post by Spanner »

Not to clutter up this thread, here is a link to an earlier post of mine where I ran into what appears to be a substantially similar issue:
Problem installing 32bit KXStudio on older PC
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=14711
To this day, I have been running from the live DVD and, due to some issues with the actual hardware, have avoided further addressing this problem on this particular machine.

The machine appears to work flawlessly from the live DVD.

I look forward to the forthcoming ISO.

Thanks.
Schwob
Established Member

Post by Schwob »

falkTX wrote:For now you can install UbuntuStudio and then put the kxstudio stuff on top.
Is there some kind of manual for doing this?

I installed 64bit kxstudio and I enjoy it. However, I'm one of these crazy folks using WindowsVSTs and I have trouble getting them to work on 64bit.

It would be great to have a "real" kxstudio just like installing the 64bit thing but for 32bit. How can I get this? It should be just as smooth as the original 64bit.

Best
Schwob
Schwob
Established Member

Post by Schwob »

I'm afraid I'm jangling your nerves with this, but… any news on the new 32bit ISO? 8)
Spanner
Established Member

Post by Spanner »

Thank you falkTX.

Downloading, I will try it later today and report back here.

For those of us with slower/unreliable connections, can you publish md5 checksum here?

Thanks.
Spanner
Established Member

Post by Spanner »

Thanks, falkTX.

That matches what I see on the .iso file that was downloaded.
Spanner
Established Member

Post by Spanner »

Trying the new iso. Some notes were made as I proceeded.

BEGIN NOTES

Now at KXStudio logo screen.

...After about five minutes...

Recieved msg:

Error 8000 reading sector 1320...

Seems to be hanging there...

Trying ctrl+alt+del for reboot...

Going through POST...

Now at KXStudio logo screen again...

Entered some data for installation.

Now at blank screen...

Now at username info prompt...

Let's see what happens. Entered username info...

...installing...

I guess maybe I just did not wait long enough first time...

Was just prompted to remove media and reboot... did so remove media, not seeing reboot...

It's been about 20 minutes...

May have to cont+alt+del to initiate reboot sequence...

OK. Had to soft reboot. Can't cold boot due to powersupply issues...

Coming back up... Looks good...

Oops. I forgot username/password... Finally recalled...

Rebooting...

Looks good.

END OF NOTES.

I made some GUI preference tweaks.

This machine has now been running flawlessly for nearly 24 hours.

Yay!

Thanks, falkTX!

:)
mattyboy
Established Member

Post by mattyboy »

I'm looking forward to the new ISO too. I don't think my Pentium 4 Dell Inspiron machine is up to a 64 bit install.

I've tried multiple downloads of the 14.04.2_32bit.iso. It seems to run fine when I boot from USB or DVD. But I can't install it.

I tried different USB drives, and a DVD install.

The installation seems to hang about half way through copying the files to the hard drive. Just left with the KXstudio standard wall paper and an unresponsive machine. Needs a hard reboot.
mattyboy
Established Member

Post by mattyboy »

Sorry, just found the link to 14.04.3_32bit in the thread above. Problem solved. It's all loaded and working fine now.

Thanks very much for creating and posting falkTX.

Is there any way we can get the KX studio team to post that one up as the latest official version on the site. It would save people a lot of time. I must have spent 8 hours tinkering with the dud version.
lukedk987

Post by lukedk987 »

Hey all,

I've been trying to install KXStudio 32-bit on a 2006-07 Macbook Pro, and was having the same issues as described in this thread. Thankfully, the ISO linked above allowed the installation to complete successfully!

Then I tried to log in for the first time, and found that I had no keyboard functionality. The machine is dual boot, and the keyboard works fine on the OS X partition. It also worked fine while playing around with the live USB. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks in advance.