Carla - VST 32/64 bit Bridging on Windows

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

ChurchOrganist

Carla - VST 32/64 bit Bridging on Windows

Post by ChurchOrganist »

What is the current status of 32/64 bit bridging in VSTs on Windows in Carla?

The filter on the "Add Plugins" dialogue implies that Carla handles bridging automatically, but it clearly doesn't as 32 bit VSTs cannot be loaded in the 64 bit version of Carla and 64 bit VSTs cannot be loaded in the 32 bit version. Indeed a plugin scan done in the 64 bit version will not pick up 32 bit plugins and vice versa.

This is all made slightly more problematic by the fact that the 32 bit version appears to access the same registry entries as the 64 bit version, so consequently on startup you will have the wrong list of VST plugins in the dialogue, which then do not load with an error box generated.

So - is Carla supposed to handle 32/64bit brdging for VSTs automatically?

Or is it on the to do list?

Love the app by the way :)

My OS is Windows 10
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Re: Carla - VST 32/64 bit Bridging on Windows

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Sorry to reply in an old topic, but can Carla handle 32 bit as well as 64 bit (Windows) VST's yet?
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

falkTX wrote:Yes, that is correct.
(the 64bit linux build can also load 32bit linux plugins)
Thanks. I am using Carla version 1.9.7 (2.0-beta5) but Synth1 64 bit version won't show up after a refresh...
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

falkTX wrote:This is rather obvious but, do you have the win32/64 bridge enabled during scan?
on the add-plugin, are the filters for wine plugins checked/enabled? (see the 'special filters')
Thanks: I don't think it's per se obvious as there must be someting that I'm doing wrong. ;) Here's what I do in Carla. First I refresh (selected all 32 and 64 bit options options) and press 'Start':

Then I look in the 'Add New Plugin' window and I see only the "Bridged (Wine)" VST's and all of my VST's show up, which are all 32 bit (see the column "Is bridged:"):

When I disable the "Bridged (Wine)" plugins and select "Bridged (32 bit)" then I see nothing. No 64 bit plugins either (when I select every option then they also do not show up). I have a VST that comes in a 32 bit and a 64 bit variant (ADM, note: Installer contains both 32 and 64-bit versions). And I tested w/ the 64 bit and the 32 bit version of the immaculate Synth1. The 32 bit ones shows up, the 64 don't (I renamed the 32 bit dll to .dll.temp and vice versa to test). I think I'm doing something wrong, but what? Can Wine be 32 or 64 bit? Is my distro (Mint 17, based on Ubuntu 14 w/ KXStudio repo enabled) too old? Do know of the ideal VST to test this with?

It's almost like I'm running a 32 bit version of Linux... Even though Mint says:
And uname -a:

Code: Select all

uname -a
Linux Desktop-PC 3.13.0-37-generic #64-Ubuntu SMP Mon Sep 22 21:28:38 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Might Wine be the problem...? I thought it's normal for Wine to come in it's 32 bit version per default. I thought it was quite difficult to configure Wine to be 64 bit. Do I accidentally have the 32 bit version of Carla? Linvst and Airwave don't work either to get 64 plugins to work.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

What kind of prefix did you create?
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

sysrqer wrote:What kind of prefix did you create?
What is that?
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

falkTX wrote:I see that you have unchecked to show filters, midi and misc plugins, only instruments will show for you at the moment.
Thought that would make it a bit easier for y'all. :)
falkTX wrote: Check where the plugin DLL is installed, and make sure the folder that it resides is part of the paths that carla searches VST2 plugins for.
I have two versions of the same VST (the 32 and the 64 bit version) in the same folder. The 32 bit version shows up, the 64 bit one doesn't. Are y'all sure it can't be something w/ Wine? I've also installed LMMS. Upgraded Wine to Wine-RT 2.0.1 from KXStudio's repository: didn't help either. What version of Carla do you use? Shouldn't the Carla version be higher than 2.0? I use Carla version 1.9.7 (2.0-beta5) [that's what it says on the command line]. In my package manager (Synaptic) is says version 2:1.9.7+git20170822 (I am under the impression that this is a version from the KXStudio repo). It beats me. If I'm not mistaken 64 bit VST's load for y'all. I give up. Luckily, my favourite VST's (Moog emulators) are 32 bit. And I am confident that 32 as well as 64 bit VST's will work in the (near) future. I'm afraid that will only be after a clean super-new Linux version for me.
falkTX wrote: Also, the 'Bridged (32bit)' are for *linux* 32bit plugins, not for Windows ones.
On a normal Linux 64bit system you will most likely have 0.
Thanks. :)
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

I uninstalled all wine items using synaptic, added the wineHQ repository,
installed wine-staging (2.15 is the latest), then reinstalled some things
that synaptic removed when uninstalling wine (depency chaos :wink: )
Synth1 works in the latest Carla, with wine 2.14

I recommend modifying synaptic file preferences to save the files in it's cache.
The cache is located in

/var/cache/apt/archives

For example, when you've manually backed up and emptied the cache,
install a complex app, and it's dependencies will tag along to the cache,
then save them all in a back-up folder, to future-proof your experience.
They can later be installed wherever/whenever using

cd path-to-folder
sudo dpkg -i *.deb

This guards against regressions, or devs experiencing normal life/priority changes etc
Cheers
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Found the solution to my problem, see https://www.linuxmusicians.com/viewtopi ... 3&start=15 22-8-2017, 23:13. It was Wine. I had an old "prefix". Re-created Wine prefix and problem solved:

Code: Select all

mkdir ~/.wine64
export WINEPREFIX=~/.wine64
wine winecfg