Why I'm giving up on KXStudio

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

ToFue
Established Member

Why I'm giving up on KXStudio

Post by ToFue »

... at least for now...

I've had major problems with multiple new, fresh installs of KXStudio 14.04.2 x64, and am now abandoning the distro until some time to check that this (and other issues) are resolved. I can get over the broken homepage, so long as the software delivers what's 'promised.'

My experience starts with the release dating a few months prior to the sourceforge crash. The broken mediabuntu repo inspired me to seek the latest distro live-dvd upgrade to start fresh. Then the woes began: *Any* attempt to update the distribution results in a corrupted repo list at /var/lib/apt/lists, further breaking by flagging errors on mismatched GPG keys and unresolved URLs.

This is one of two critically major flaws in KXStudio as a distro. The other is that network manager is disabled by default (http://www.linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic ... 810#p64810). If a user installs on a wired connection that requires any configuration outside of DHCP, then they cannot connect without advanced knowledge to turn on the obscure flags to enable a network manager that actually commits settings. This is a major screw-up that disenfranchises non-linux gurus (aka average or new users).

According to https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/NetworkManager, "you should never need to use the command line or configuration files to manage your network (unless you want to!)." The specification for networkmanager is not upheld by KXStudio.

According to https://wiki.debian.org/Apt, "Apt, which basically resolves dependency problems and retrieves the requested packages, works with dpkg, another tool, which handles the actual installation and removal of packages (applications)." The specification for apt is not upheld by KXStudio.

It is fallacious to assume that the user has access to a secondary machine with means to x-fer files, or should be expected to apply workarounds in leu of using central specified tools inherent to the core of the system exposed to userspace. Workarounds are as band-aids on a knife-wound where the patient's told to just not move at all for several weeks; the injurious flaw remains, and patient cannot reasonably be expected to comply. KXStudio is grievously flawed in this same nature.

These major issues slipped by pre-distribution testing, (or possibly ignored by the maintainer) and I would imagine that any respectable maintainer would be wholly embarrassed or ashamed by such critical bugs. Disregard for ensuring network connectivity (as well as the previously mentioned package manager default problems) is a sure-way to repel newcomers from an otherwise awesome distro. Outside of the unusability of KXStudio as a real distro, I really do like its environment, package choices, and its overall integration of those packages on an unmodified system. However, I'm saddened that I must abandon it for an actual, reliable system.
Joermungand
Established Member

Re: Why I'm giving up on KXStudio

Post by Joermungand »

Sorry to hear that. I’m not an actual user of KXStudio; rather one who uses KXStudio’s applications. However, since you’re off finding reliable systems, I heartily recommend Archlinux. It’ll work, at the end of the day. :wink:
ToFue
Established Member

Post by ToFue »

@Joermungand Lol - thanks for the recommendation - I haven't considered Arch for mainline GUI stuff where I need it to support other users used to windows, but I enjoy its targeted customizability on one of my laptops.. once customizing gets past pacman, that is, at the *end* of the day. ;)
superprick
Established Member

Post by superprick »

Cant say that i ever had those problems with kx
1) Disabling Network manager. I do this to every install of every distro i use. Network manager constantly polls your network cards and connections and is known to cause xruns. I have 2 nics one for internet and one for a netjack network no problems configuring them by hand. try the ubuntu wiki. and yes network manager is tightly integrated with gnome desktop. but kx distro uses kde. ??? "aka average or new users" that cant read a wiki page probably shouldn't be using anything other than dhcp
2) Never had signed package errors. cant comment
3)Ubuntu itself modifies apt

I am not the dev But instead of walking into a forum post and mouthing off like an ass hat expressing issues that no one else seems to report either here or on the github bug tracker.... which would be the proper place to lodge a complaint. Why do you start out with

Hi my name is Ass hat. I tried to use the KXstudio Distro but I encountered these errors "past terminal text here" has anyone else had these issues.

I can promise you that you would have recieved help.

Joermungand he cant read a wiki so arch is not a good fit
superprick
Established Member

Post by superprick »

looked at your older post regarding your issues. So i just downloaded the current cd imaage installed it in a kvm vm on a box with kx studio. Manually configured a bridged ethernet to the vm. installed updated. all works well. no connectivity issue out of the box. and netowrk manager is persistent through reboots. As far as gpg keys. Ubuntu itself has been know to change keys requiring one to update keys. The dev faltx was aware of this in july. You can search the forum for the post. It was corrected sudo apt-get purge kxstudio-repos sudo apt-get install kxstudio-repos --reinstall would probably have fixed it for you. wow that took 2 minutes on google.

The only real mods Faltx has done (afaik) is a work around so that kde doesnt need pulse audio. a little art work. and a Debian Repo where he keeps a more up to date set of audio video apps than is provided by Ubuntu 14.04. All of that said. I use arch for my main system. I just dont like how ubuntu has tampered with the kernel and does not use a standard directory structure.
ssj71
Established Member

Post by ssj71 »

Not trying to be jerky, but couldn't help but think of this post:

https://blog.mozilla.org/nnethercote/20 ... universal/
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!
English Guy
Established Member

Post by English Guy »

I benefit from using KXstudio repos on Debian stable and would totally recommend it. I remember a time before kxstudio and certainly would not like to go back to it.
aprzekaz
Established Member

Post by aprzekaz »

For me just putting the KX repos on Jessie and the Liquorix kernel worked like a charm. It's also worth noting that in my experience FalkTX usually responds to any issues reported on this forum faster than the support teams for a lot of non-free software. Not to mention all the amazing stuff that comes with it (Carla as a vst :D ).
Broomy
Established Member

Post by Broomy »

magicalex wrote:Well said, falkTX. A very reasonable response. Thank you for all your hard work. Making music on Linux would a be a much less enjoyable experience without your contributions.
+1
The Quintar Project:
- Popularizing an all fifths tuning for guitarlike instruments
- Youtube: Playing and Building
- Files: Sourceforge
mwinthrop
Established Member

Post by mwinthrop »

falkTX - I have a great deal of respect for the work you do with KXStudio. Please do not be discouraged by the person who is giving up on your work as I think there are many more people who very much like it. I have had good experience with KXStudio and I am using the ISOs, which seem to work quite well.
chtfn
Established Member

Post by chtfn »

Adding my name to the list: thank you FalkTX for all your hard work, speed at responding to issues and requests, dedication, knowledge and patience.
troathscream
Established Member

Post by troathscream »

Great applications, KXstudio just works. Keep up the great job FalkTX!!
Metal for the Devil!!!!
troathscream
Established Member

Post by troathscream »

Great applications, KXstudio just works. Keep up the great work FalkTX!!
Metal for the Devil!!!!
linux-lover
Established Member

Post by linux-lover »

Yes i am glad you make a ISO as it works, correct repo,s selected,system ready to go.
Yes I am grateful specially as I realize how much time is spent updating all.
Yes I to #%^% those who blame you for others mistakes, but you go on.
As I have no idea how to program these days all I can do is say THANK YOU.
josander
Established Member

Post by josander »

I absolutely love KXStudio and I'm using Kubuntu with KXStudio's repository linked to it.

Most of the projects I'm working on takes under a week or two, but some of them can take a year or more and I'm partially using my Linux Studio for a living, totally depended on getting predictable results every time I'm using it. I was a little bit worried in the beginning of my KXStudio journey because the packages are so often upgraded. But everything work as expected every the time, when something changes, nothing kills my workflow.

I'm a pragmatic Linux and Open Source fanatic and there is a lot of totally wonderful Open Sourced programs and plugins - and I'm using a lot of them. But I'm first and and foremost a musician, so I'm also using a lot of proprietary Linux software, products from Mixbus, OverTone DSP, Pianoteq, DiscoDSP, Loomer and so on. The KXStudio, with first of all Carla, makes it possible to use all this applications in a uniform way without wasting my and other peoples time on technical difficulties.

So I strongly recommend KXStudio to everyone!