Make Carla more elastic with interface names

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

paul
Established Member

Make Carla more elastic with interface names

Post by paul »

Hello.

I have a problem: my Carla virtual studio sometimes does not connect the plugins to my MIDI interface. The cause is that (for reasons that seem to be random) the interface is seen by Jack with a different number (e.g. [28], [32], etc) every time I restart the computer or plug in the cable. I think Carla saves the complete name of the interface, so when this number changes, the device is not connected.
Is there a way to make it more elastic, for example with a regular expression?

(More difficult: is there a way to make it completely independent of the MIDI interface name? I have both a Roland and a Yamaha, and I have two almost exact copies of the projects to work with the two interfaces... But maybe this would be bad, in case I wanted to plug in both for different purposes.)
Keep on rocking in the free world!
paul
Established Member

Re: Make Carla more elastic with interface names

Post by paul »

Hi!
paul wrote:Hello.

I have a problem: my Carla virtual studio sometimes does not connect the plugins to my MIDI interface. The cause is that (for reasons that seem to be random) the interface is seen by Jack with a different number (e.g. [28], [32], etc) every time I restart the computer or plug in the cable. I think Carla saves the complete name of the interface, so when this number changes, the device is not connected.
Is there a way to make it more elastic, for example with a regular expression?
Any update on this? Ideas from everyone are welcome!

(The "more difficult" part is something I don't really need. )
paul
Established Member

Post by paul »

Solved for now! If anyone has the same problems, I first connect the MIDI cable to the Alsa MIDI Through (playback). Then, in Carla, I connect the Alsa MIDI Through (capture) to the instrument I need, and I save.

So if I reopen the Carla project another time, it will reconnect the MIDI Through port to the instrument. The only thing I have to do is manually connecting the MIDI cable to the MIDI Through, but once per concert instead of once per song (=project).
ssj71
Established Member

Post by ssj71 »

thats a good workaround. Thanks.
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!