[solved] can not log into my session graphically

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

chtfn
Established Member

[solved] can not log into my session graphically

Post by chtfn »

Hi all. I ran into an issue today, something I had experienced before on a different computer with Kxstudio installed on it too.
I have installed KXstudio 14.04 (although settings say "Ubuntu 14.04.2"), clean from the ISO, on my main laptop a few days ago, used it for a while without any problem, and all of a sudden I have this issue where I can not log in anymore. The graphical prompt lets me input my password, then I get a black screen with the circling cursor for a couple of seconds and it goes back to the login screen. I know it is the right password because the result is different with a wrong one (fields go red for a few seconds, stays on login screen).

My other laptop has the same issue, it happened after weeks of using it fine.

Any idea what this could be about?

I can log in via the command line without being kicked out straight away though.

Cheers
Last edited by chtfn on Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Broomy
Established Member

Re: can not log into my session graphically

Post by Broomy »

Alas! I had the same trouble last night, just before a gig. Had to fall back on my backup setup.
But on the other hand: Now I noticed, how many times my laptop did work (+100 gigs / rehearsals)! :-)
So many thanks to everybody how contributes to Linux audio software!
The Quintar Project:
- Popularizing an all fifths tuning for guitarlike instruments
- Youtube: Playing and Building
- Files: Sourceforge
Thad E Ginathom
Established Member

Post by Thad E Ginathom »

I spent half the day worrying over this one (worrying as in dog and bone) and even did more log-file reading than I have in past fifteen years.

As I have been setting up and personalising a new Linux Mint 17.1 + Mate 1.8 with minimal KXStudio essentials, but installing all kinds of stuff, I naturally thought that I had broken it.

I should have looked here for the news, which I did only after it occurred to me to check for and install updates :mrgreen: :oops: :mrgreen:

Anyway, never mind. A bit of terminal work and CLI learning/ revision never hurt :)
chtfn
Established Member

Post by chtfn »

Great, thanks for the replies and the fix!

The workarounds before the fix were to login through the command line and use

Code: Select all

startx
, or as you said, FalkTX, to select the session before logging in (in my login manager, the dropdown menu with the blue arrow).

Just like Thad, I ended up learning a few things in the process, which is nice :) (like starting x and shutting down from the command line).

Cheers!
Thad E Ginathom
Established Member

Post by Thad E Ginathom »

Actually, I wasn't able to start my desktop at all until after installing the available updates. I always keep my previous-installation partition more-or-less forever, so working (ha ha, if you can call net browsing, etc, "working") wasn't an issue. However, my new install was terminal all the way until after I thought of looking for updates.

I still have some post-update problems, including some new ones, but so far, none of them are KX related.

Actually, all I do these days is listen, and I don't even use my firewire device --- could easily live without KX, but hey, I like it!
freshmelon
Established Member

Re: [solved] can not log into my session graphically

Post by freshmelon »

Thanks! Helped me a lot!