updating KXStudio to 14.04 when it's out

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

wolftune
Established Member

updating KXStudio to 14.04 when it's out

Post by wolftune »

Just thought I'd start this topic: There are a whole host of updates I'm looking forward to from Ubuntu 14.04 that I've bypassed by sticking to LTS and the KXStudio install. I also have tons of personal set-ups and custom-installed things currently, and have been carefully backing things up. Obviously it will work to do a reinstall with 14.04 since I have my /home on a separate partition. That said, I'm hoping there might be a clean way to just update my whole KXStudio system directly to 14.04 LTS when it comes out in a couple months.
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
http://wolftune.com
stanlea
Established Member

Re: updating KXStudio to 14.04 when it's out

Post by stanlea »

Why not ? But I think that KXstudio should get out of Ubuntu, because it can work without this imperialist distro. A basic Debian Jessie, with the good repos, is enough for making music and more stable than Ubuntu and its twice-an-year releases.
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

Ok, well, to be honest, my long-term desire is to become more fully free with Debian, but I'm just in no rush. I'm very happy with my current system and just getting annoyed by support lagging. For example, Okular has an issue with PDF forms that is fixed with an updated dependency. Also, Skrooge has a nice new update that is not supported in 12.04 LTS. Same with Tellico and probably lots of others.

What I really want, I think, is just more stuff updated in my current system. Other than these packages getting so outdated by now, I'm really happy with my current system. Anyway, I think 14.04 will be the right transition for me, will be good enough for a long while before I eventually make the move to Debian.
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
hellalive
Established Member

Post by hellalive »

I really like Ubuntu and I'm not planning any migration to Debian anytime sonn..i customized my system quite a lot too. Don't know if I can stick to 12.04 for a little longer but i hope so; can I ask you how will you manage the whole process falk?
He had a lot of nithing to say, we'll miss him
hellalive
Established Member

Post by hellalive »

Good to now. I'll keep it too, at least for a year or 2 :)
He had a lot of nithing to say, we'll miss him
tnovelli
Established Member

Post by tnovelli »

Distros shouldn't be trying to monopolize package distribution -- Apple App Store style -- in the first place. Big distros were popular in the beginning but that was 20 years ago, before widespread internet access. All I want from a distro is a minimal base system (with all the interdependent parts working together out of the box) that's stable and usable for 5-10 years (wishful thinking I know), and if necessary, overlay distros like KXStudio or TangoStudio to get JACK working properly. I shouldn't have to upgrade my base system just to get a newer PDF reader! I'll get my apps right from the source, thank you -- or if they don't provide the right packages, I'll get them from a 3rd-party packager who provides up-to-date builds (but not buggy betas) unlike the big distros.

Anyway, another vote for Debian! I've got 7.4 working pretty much the way I want; I can use the base system and ignore the 30,000 broken/outdated packages. :P
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

Sounds good, tnovelli. So why is it that Skrooge is updated, I'm on latest KDE, but the developer just states that there are dependency issues with 12.04? I mean, if he can't figure out how to reliably make it update for 12.04, it seems doubtful that I can just drop it in smoothly by compiling myself… The PDF reader is latest version but the library it uses is not… I have the feeling there's a lot more like this too (although I have already, in many cases, manually updated things that seemed safe)
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
tnovelli
Established Member

Post by tnovelli »

@wolftune Oh I see, Skrooge is a KDE4 app. That's...annoying...that the developer assumes everyone uses the same desktop. KDE is a dependency hell all its own - I stay away from anything that depends too heavily on it. That said, the "dependency issues" may be trivial. Google "ubuntu 12.04 kde4" and you'll find instructions which might actually work.

BTW, GnuCash (last I checked) had the opposite dependency problem - it needed libraries so old I had to dig deep to find them, let alone build them. Wasn't worth it. Same goes for a lot of big programs if you look under the hood.
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

tnovelli wrote:@wolftune Oh I see, Skrooge is a KDE4 app. That's...annoying...that the developer assumes everyone uses the same desktop. KDE is a dependency hell all its own - I stay away from anything that depends too heavily on it. That said, the "dependency issues" may be trivial. Google "ubuntu 12.04 kde4" and you'll find instructions which might actually work.

BTW, GnuCash (last I checked) had the opposite dependency problem - it needed libraries so old I had to dig deep to find them, let alone build them. Wasn't worth it. Same goes for a lot of big programs if you look under the hood.
That's not relevant! I use KDE!
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

Sure, but Skrooge is far and away the best program for what it is. I explored the others. And I love that it is a KDE program because it runs wonderfully with my KDE system. Indeed, I avoid strictly gnome programs generally though. For Skrooge specifically, I'm not sure how much dependencies it has. But the fact that it is updated for more recent (k)ubuntu and not for 12.04 is an issue for me (although the update isn't essential, I'd like to get it ever). I think my concern about 14.04 is that I imagine more and more of these things piling up where more and more things become outdated for 12.04 and hard to update. I think 14.04 is likely to get enough love to be more acceptable for several years, probably until I really move to Debian.
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

Interesting. Indeed, the pacing of KXStudio has been about right for me. I used to want the latest everything, but I'm really glad to not fuss with it all. My system works, it's stable. And yet, I've needed to do some manual updates, and I very much appreciate that KXStudio keeps things updated and backported more. I'm still learning about it all, as 12.04 is my first LTS ever (as I only first tried GNU/Linux at all in January 2012 and ended up using KXStudio over Mint 12 KDE before moving to my new system (although I installed 12.04.1 fresh later, that's really where my current install started).
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
heavymetalmixer
Established Member

Post by heavymetalmixer »

falkTX wrote:I think Tanglu might be the best choice for us.
http://tanglu.org/

I hope it doesn't take too long to get ready.
Looks like a better option than LMDE . . . would be this the base distro of the next KXStudio version?, or are you just considering it?
landry
Established Member

Post by landry »

Any updates on installing KXStudio Repos on 14.04 (beta2, now that this is out?)

My experience so far, installing cadence on 14.04 beta 2 on a VM using the instructions from http://kxstudio.sourceforge.net/Repositories for Ubuntu.
(note: only wanted to install cadence and dependencies as the use case is for my wife's machine and she just wants to record some audio from the browser, so I've shown her how to use the 'render' tool in cadence.)

Some errors looking for the Trusty Tahr specific repositories (sudo apt-get install kxstudio-repos, sudo apt-get update) but some repositories did install, and I was able to find cadence in synaptic package manager.

Installed cadence from synaptic package manager okay

Could not start jack, and noticed that the jack pulse modules did not get installed. so installed it manually.

Next attempt to start worked (not positive it was a jack pulse modules issue, it could be that I just happened to hit the correct sound card settings after I installed the modules)

Issues:

1) Cadence does not start on login - I had to put it in Ubuntu's startup list manually, Cadence starts up, but I still have to 'force restart' Jack after login to make it work (start alone does not work,)

2) If I stop Cadence/Jack I have to open a terminal and 'pulseaudio --kill' and 'pulseaudio --start' to get pulseaudio started.

Am I doing this right? Is there a suggested installation procedure other than the one I used? Any suggestions as to getting Cadence & Jack to start on login? Any suggestions for getting Pulseausio to restart properly and automatically after shutting down Jack in Cadence?

Note: I though of uninstalling Pulseaudio, but it seems to be grouped with Unity desktop so that might be a chore bigger than I'm willing to go through.

Thanks for any suggestions.