KXStudio recent updates - any problems?

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

bazsound
Established Member

Re: KXStudio recent updates - any problems?

Post by bazsound »

Just installed ardour 3.4 from the kx studio repos. I unset SUIL_MODULE_DIR

Tal plugin guis work fine now :-)

Finally i can use ardour again. Thanks!

Theres a small hiccup in jockey but it might have always been like this. if you change graphics driver version in jockey it breaks x due to not uninstalling the previously installed driver. I wanted to change from 304 to 173. I should have known better and just uninstalled 304 before using jockey, but atleast i remembered how to do it at the command line
luster
Established Member

Post by luster »

I just ran the updates (via synaptic) on a kxstudio12.04.1 --> 12.04.3 LTS AMD64bit installation.

I now find that I cannot logout using right-click on desktop and selecting "logout".

I see a brief flash of the "spinning hourglass-like" spinning orbs, then get a cursor on a blank, black screen.

I can get to a TTY terminal via control+alt+fn, login there, run commands such as top, ps -e, etc, and shutdown using "sudo shutdown now -h".

If I leave the terminal via control+alt+f7 to go back to the GUI, I see the KXStudio logo with the dots under it, apparently hung, and an Esc key-press reveals a flashing cursor under:

Code: Select all

<snip>
Stopping System V runlevel compatability                                                                     [OK]
Starting Mount network filesystems                                                                              [OK]
Stopping Mount network filesystems                                                                             [OK]
_
I can go back to the other TTY terminal and sudo shutdown now -h

Subsequent reboots appear normal, and I can shutdown using right-click on desktop and selecting "turn the computer off" with no problem. And also re-start without problem.

Something appears to be hanging when attempting logout. Same thing whether I start Cadence or not. This is repeatable, I've tried it a number of times.

?
Last edited by luster on Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
totalchaos
Established Member

Post by totalchaos »

falkTX wrote:The update from 12.04.1 -> 12.04.3 is quite big, one of the reasons why we need the new ISOs so bad.

Usually the updates end up removing some essential packages, try this:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -f
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get install kscreen
sudo apt-get install kxstudio-desktop-kde4
sudo apt-get install kxstudio-meta-all
That will get you all the packages back again, and possibly fix this.

oh, you might want to install 'kdm' too.
WOW... mind-blowing. You shouldn't break backwards compatibility to bad :roll: KXStudio 12.04.3 supposed to be a distro update, not a brand new distro.
heix
Established Member

Post by heix »

falkTX wrote:There's currently a minor issue about kscreen not being upgradeable, but I can't find out why...
Do you mean the upgrade to version 1.0.1 in 12.04? In my case "aptitude" could upgrade it by removing libkscreen0 and installing libkscreen1.
luster
Established Member

Post by luster »

falkTX wrote:The update from 12.04.1 -> 12.04.3 is quite big, one of the reasons why we need the new ISOs so bad.

Usually the updates end up removing some essential packages, try this:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -f
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get install kscreen
sudo apt-get install kxstudio-desktop-kde4
sudo apt-get install kxstudio-meta-all
That will get you all the packages back again, and possibly fix this.

oh, you might want to install 'kdm' too.
Thank you falkTX.

Unfortunately, that series of actions did not resolve my "unable to logout" problem [earlier post link here] on that machine.

I ran into an unmet dependency message on install kxstudio-desktop-kde4, but that was resolved by subsequent apt-get update, etc. KDM was already installed and was the latest version.

I am willing to look for what is causing this issue. This is a relatively minor issue; I don't know if it would be helpful to try to find what is causing the problem, or just clutter things up for you, falkTX. ?

I'd probably start to look by running top, htop, or ps -e output to a text file from a TTY terminal then attempt to logout from the GUI on TTY7. Are there any better ways to begin the search? Could I just monitor a logfile, for instance?

It might be more productive to wait for the ISO and start fresh. Or even try the ISO beta.
bazsound
Established Member

Post by bazsound »

Ardour 3 from the kx studios repos fails export once it reaches the end of the project.

Not sure if this is a recent update problem as i havnt exported anything in a while..
[ERROR]: Export ended unexpectedly: Exception thrown by AudioGrapher::Threader<float>:
- Dynamic type: AudioGrapher::Exception
- what(): Exception thrown by AudioGrapher::SndfileWriter<short>: Could not write data to output file (Not a valid SNDFILE* pointer.)
The export completly succesfully the 2nd time round....

Guess it was just a hiccup?
totalchaos
Established Member

Post by totalchaos »

Following the logic of the current situation, should it be a better solution to (re)install KXStudio using network install and use the default kde-4.8. Is it possible to purge out the kubuntu backports repositories from existing KXStudio installation?
And should this be a better idea to use the "stable" kde and to concentrate in maintaining the "significant programs"?
totalchaos
Established Member

Post by totalchaos »

falkTX wrote: there is no "stable" kde, sadly.
the 4.8 version contains a lot of bugs that were fixed in 4.10.x or 4.11.x, but it also introduces new issues...
I am thinking of another workaround then. You can replace the current kde from kubuntu backports, with a custom kde snapshot, that is satisfying the needs of kxstudio. But i cannot really know, if its worth the spent time or of the downsides of such approach?
bazsound
Established Member

Post by bazsound »

System Settings no longer seems to open, i see a tab on my taskmanager with the spinning icon then it just disapears.

While were on the subject of kdenlive, i still cant get it to play back smoothly like it did a while back not even with the most recent daily build.

But it might be a kdenlive problem or possibly the nvidia driver.... so not really a kx studio problem.

anyway yeah system settings i cant get it to open.
bazsound
Established Member

Post by bazsound »

falkTX wrote:
bazsound wrote:anyway yeah system settings i cant get it to open.
On a fresh login, run "systemsettings" in a terminal and post here the output.

bazsound@bazsound-MS-7309:~$ systemsettings
QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
bazsound@bazsound-MS-7309:~$ 
hmmm the bloody thing opens now....

oh well, it would not open yesterday at all......
bazsound
Established Member

Post by bazsound »

gksu authentication failes despite using the correct password.

This seems to be a ubuntu issue and the solution is to

gksu-propierties
And set authentication mode to Sudo instead of SU.

Authentication now works, however nothing happens afterwords. Im trying to open dolphin with adminstrative rights so i can copy some plugin files (i really dont like trying to do things in the command line, it takes me an age to rework out/ find out how to do it again and on a few occasions ive had a typo and almost done something bad.

I have samba installed which needs root access and that seems to open up fine using gksu, however dolphin doesnt seem to want to open. theres no errors in the terminal, it just sits there doing nothing. then goes away....

sudo works, but i know that is not the right way to open up graphical apps with root privilages.

kdesudo exactly the same, nothing happens after putting in password.

Actually sudo fails to open dolphin aswell.

okay this goes a bit further, there are problems elsewhere.

su fails to athenticate, sudo su works.

So after some research i try

chmod +s /bin/su
that didnt fix su.

But any i run dolphin in a root terminal (su) still no joy opening dolphin with root privilages.

Another solution i tried

ln -s /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kdesu /usr/bin/kdesu
nope still no joy.

Its also no longer asking me for my password.

ive got round the problem by installing root actions service is dolphin. nope that doesnt work either.

I reverted back to using the terminal for now...
bazsound
Established Member

Post by bazsound »

I lost power and upon reboot, it was working again.

anyway.

I last night i was having problems with streaming flash video stuttering during playback every 5-10 seconds from a site that normally is fine. I get a similar problem on another site but what happens with the other site is the video is fine for 10 minutes then the framerate from that point on gets lower and lower and the flash plugin container eats up CPU. Its always been like that on particular sites, pretty sure its just badly programed/designed site with too many adverts.

When i brought up the flash global settings it showed this
Flash error in browser
Flash error in browser
flash error.png (216.67 KiB) Viewed 1960 times
Flash works and i can get into the settings where i can disable hardware acceleration.

Just the global settings brings up that page.

Just wondering what this is. The video stuttering problem is more than likely just flash being flash. As it stopped doing it once i closed all tabs. I hate flash.
bazsound
Established Member

Post by bazsound »

ource-rpm"
kbuildsycoca4(9297) KBuildServiceFactory::populateServiceTypes: "kerfuffle_libarchive_readonly.desktop" specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype "application/x-servicepack"
kbuildsycoca4(9297) KBuildServiceFactory::populateServiceTypes: "ServiceMenus/convert_with_soundkonverter.desktop" specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype "audio/aacp"
kbuildsycoca4(9297) KBuildServiceFactory::populateServiceTypes: "ServiceMenus/convert_with_soundkonverter.desktop" specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype "audio/speex"
kbuildsycoca4(9297) KBuildServiceFactory::populateServiceTypes: "imagethumbnail.desktop" specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype "image/x-webp"
kbuildsycoca4(9297) KBuildServiceFactory::populateServiceTypes: "/usr/share/applications/kde4/ark.desktop" specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype "application/x-source-rpm"
kbuildsycoca4(9297) KBuildServiceFactory::populateServiceTypes: "/usr/share/applications/kde4/ark.desktop" specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype "application/x-servicepack"
kbuildsycoca4(9297) KBuildServiceFactory::populateServiceTypes: "/usr/share/applications/kde4/ark.desktop" specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype "application/lha"
kbuildsycoca4(9297) KBuildServiceFactory::populateServiceTypes: "/usr/share/applications/kde4/ark.desktop" specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype "application/maclha"
kbuildsycoca4(9297) KBuildServiceFactory::populateServiceTypes: "plasma-kpart.desktop" specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype "KParts/Part"
kbuildsycoca4(9297) KBuildServiceFactory::populateServiceTypes: "kfontviewpart.desktop" specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype "fonts/package"
kbuildsycoca4(9297) KBuildServiceFactory::populateServiceTypes: "/usr/share/applications/petri-foo.desktop" specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype "application/petri-foo"
kbuildsycoca4(9297) KBuildServiceFactory::populateServiceTypes: "/usr/share/applications/opera-browser.desktop" specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype "text/wml"
kbuildsycoca4(9297) KBuildServiceFactory::populateServiceTypes: "/usr/share/applications/opera-browser.desktop" specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype "application/mime"
kbuildsycoca4(9297) KBuildServiceFactory::populateServiceTypes: "/usr/share/applications/opera-browser.desktop" specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype "image/webp"
kbuildsycoca4(9297) KMimeAssociations::parseAllMimeAppsList: Parsing "/home/bazsound/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list"
kbuildsycoca4(9297) KBuildSycoca::save: Saving
kbuildsycoca4(9297) kdemain: Emitting notifyDatabaseChanged ("xdgdata-mime", "apps", "apps")
im getting pages of this stuff in a terminal using apt-get , there are littery pages

kbuildsycoca4(9297) KBuildSycoca::createEntry: modified: "inode/vnd.kde.service.daap.xml" in xdgdata-mime
kbuildsycoca4(9297) KBuildSycoca::createEntry: modified: "inode/vnd.kde.service.workstation.xml" in xdgdata-mime
kbuildsycoca4(9297) KBuildSycoca::createEntry: modified: "inode/vnd.kde.service.upnp.DigitalSecurityCamera1.xml" in xdgdata-mime
kbuildsycoca4(9297) KBuildSycoca::createEntry: modified: "inode/vnd.kde.service.airport.xml" in xdgdata-mime
kbuildsycoca4(9297) KBuildSycoca::createEntry: modified: "inode/vnd.kde.service.dacp.xml" in xdgdata-mime
kbuildsycoca4(9297) KBuildSycoca::createEntry: modified: "inode/vnd.kde.device.scanner.xml" in xdgdata-mime
kbuildsycoca4(9297) KBuildSycoca::build: Still in the time dict (i.e. deleted files) ("apps")
kbuildsycoca4(9297) VFolderMenu::mergeFile: VFolderMenu::mergeFile: "/etc/xdg/menus/applications-merged/kxstudio-multimedia.menu"
kbuildsycoca4(9297) VFolderMenu::mergeFile: VFolderMenu::mergeFile: "/etc/xdg/menus/applications-merged/wine.menu"
kbuildsycoca4(9297) VFolderMenu::pushDocInfo: Menu "debian-menu.menu" not found.
kbuildsycoca4(9297) VFolderMenu::pushDocInfo: Menu "applications-kmenuedit.menu" not found.
kbuildsycoca4(9297) VFolderMenu::processMenu: Processing KDE Legacy dirs for <KDE>
kbuildsycoca4(9297) VFolderMenu::processKDELegacyDirs:
kbuildsycoca4(9297)/kdecore (services) KServicePrivate::init: The desktop entry file  "nvidiafix.desktop.desktop"  has Type= "Link"  instead of "Application" or "Service" 

kbuildsycoca4(9297) KBuildServiceFactory::createEntry: Invalid Service :  "nvidiafix.desktop.desktop" 
kbuildsycoca4(9297)/kdecore (services) KServicePrivate::init: The desktop entry file  "04 - Liberation.mp3.desktop"  has Type= "Link"  instead of "Application" or "Service" 

kbuildsycoca4(9297) KBuildServiceFactory::createEntry: Invalid Service :  "04 - Liberation.mp3.desktop" 
kbuildsycoca4(9297)/kdecore (services) KServicePrivate::init: The desktop entry file  "02 Track 2.mp3.desktop"  has Type= "Link"  instead of "Application" or "Service" 

kbuildsycoca4(9297) KBuildServiceFactory::createEntry: Invalid Service :  "02 Track 2.mp3.desktop" 
kbuildsycoca4(9297)/kdecore (services) KServicePrivate::init: The desktop entry file  "install_flash_player_11_linux.x86_64.tar.gz.desktop"  has Type= "Link"  instead of "Application" or "Service" 

kbuildsycoca4(9297) KBuildServiceFactory::createEntry: Invalid Service :  "install_flash_player_11_linux.x86_64.tar.gz.desktop" 
kbuildsycoca4(9297)/kdecore (services) KServicePrivate::init: The desktop entry file  "05 Track 5.mp3.desktop"  has Type= "Link"  instead of "Application" or "Service" 

kbuildsycoca4(9297) KBuildServiceFactory::createEntry: Invalid Service :  "05 Track 5.mp3.desktop" 
kbuildsycoca4(9297)/kdecore (services) KServicePrivate::init: The desktop entry file  "13 - Angel.mp3.desktop"  has Type= "Link"  instead of "Application" or "Service" 

kbuildsycoca4(9297) KBuildServiceFactory::createEntry: Invalid Service :  "13 - Angel.mp3.desktop" 
kbuildsycoca4(9297)/kdecore (services) KServicePrivate::init: The desktop entry file  "08 - Divine.mp3.desktop"  has Type= "Link"  instead of "Application" or "Service" 

kbuildsycoca4(9297) KBuildServiceFactory::createEntry: Invalid Service :  "08 - Divine.mp3.desktop" 
kbuildsycoca4(9297)/kdecore (services) KServicePrivate::init: The desktop entry file  "opera_12.16.1860_amd64.deb.desktop"  has Type= "Link"  instead of "Application" or "Service" 

kbuildsycoca4(9297) KBuildServiceFactory::createEntry: Invalid Service :  "opera_12.16.1860_amd64.deb.desktop" 
kbuildsycoca4(9297)/kdecore (services) KServicePrivate::init: The desktop entry file  "README.desktop"  has Type= "Link"  instead of "Application" or "Service" 

kbuildsycoca4(9297) KBuildServiceFactory::createEntry: Invalid Service :  "README.desktop" 
kbuildsycoca4(9297)/kdecore (services) KServicePrivate::init: The desktop entry file  "eqinox_v0.2.4_linux.tar.gz.desktop"  has Type= "Link"  instead of "Application" or "Service" 
another bit of the pages of stuff, theres literrly too much to paste in here.

Happens every time i install something using apt-get and then just stops and doesnt exit
bazsound
Established Member

Post by bazsound »

Thanks, that did the trick well got rid of the annoyuing error message.

I havnt seen that garbage output in a bit..
bazsound
Established Member

Post by bazsound »

Ardour 3.5 had a few bugs introduced these have been fixed recently with a hotfix that came out yesterday.

Im assuming ardour 3.5 in the repos already got updated?

the bug was with newly created sessions in 3.5 where the click would just not work, but if you created a session in 3.4 with the click playing and loaded in 3.5 the click would work.