Should KXStudio repos move to Debian?

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Should KXStudio repos move to Debian?

Total votes: 0

tux99
Established Member

Re: Should KXStudio repos move to Debian?

Post by tux99 »

AutoStatic wrote:So cheap that it's almost no use anymore to run things at home, even if you use low power solutions.
Unless you value privacy and data protection (which obviously isn't an issue in this specific case with a public repo).
I would never put anything on a VPS that I don't mind the whole world to see/read.
GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Post by GraysonPeddie »

tux99 wrote:
AutoStatic wrote:So cheap that it's almost no use anymore to run things at home, even if you use low power solutions.
Unless you value privacy and data protection (which obviously isn't an issue in this specific case with a public repo).
I would never put anything on a VPS that I don't mind the whole world to see/read.
Pardon me for an off-topic post, but via what means? SSH? Telnet? FTP? VPS is "Virtual Private Server."
--Grayson Peddie

Music Interest: New Age w/ a mix of modern smooth jazz, light techno/trance & downtempo -- something Epcot Future World/Tomorrowland-flavored.
Alwaysanewb
Established Member

Post by Alwaysanewb »

I voted no just because it would be harder to attract musicians and studios to use a debian base distro. I also like ubuntu better than debian because of ease of use and it's easier and has a nicer installer.

I like the idea of debian a lot more than arch. I'll bite the bullet and deal with a switch to debian though. Especially if everyonce else in the community wants the switch. The only time I had debian installed the gui looked like a cheesy rip off of windows 98 thats a real turn off.

The upsides I could see is your not dealling with different levels of stability all the time Seems with all the updates and crap canocal shovels out with ubuntu it's day to day. The other good thing would be of course no canical. It just really bugs the crap out of me that they don't care at all about what the users and programmers want and the way that dueschbag mark shuttleworth dissregards anything the community says.

I installed AVlinux for a litle while 3 or 4 years ago and don't see why the two distros couldn't coexist. They seem completely different to me. Besides working more on older systems AVlinux had a lot of betas installed as well as the stable release of most programs. I think this could be good for a lot of people that like experementing with software and keep up on that type of thing more. Kxstudio only seems to have stable releases on it which make it simpler for me just to get in there and work. It also makes things easier for my tiny brian to understand. I could easily see how those 2 distros could coexist. Seems like they are made for two different types of users.

As much as I like ubuntu I really don't like caniocal or ubuntu. I really hope you stick with it too. If you don't I don't think the world is going to come to an end and I will make the switch. Just don't get annoyed when I get on here asking dumb questions trying to get my system setup.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

falkTX wrote: Debian also doesn't have fonts as nice as Ubuntu, so I'll "fix" it for KXStudio-on-Debian as well.
Haha, don't want to be off-topic but I couldn't resist... if you look closely at the latest AV Linux the default font is 'Ubuntu Medium' ...problem solved :wink:
Alwaysanewb
Established Member

Post by Alwaysanewb »

falkTX wrote:
Alwaysanewb wrote:I voted no just because it would be harder to attract musicians and studios to use a debian base distro. I also like ubuntu better than debian because of ease of use and it's easier and has a nicer installer.
I disagree here.
Ubuntu is focusing more and more on consumer-oriented (not producer/dev oriented) + commercial stuff, kinda like MacOS and Windows have been doing lately.
The whole Mir situation is very fragile, we don't even know for sure if Kubuntu will still exist by 14.10. It's obvious Ubuntu will focus primarily on Unity and leave other desktops behind (which already happens today), but it will get increasingly difficult for non-Unity desktops to work properly&fast.

EDIT: I believe Unity is not good for audio production. Too much CPU goes into just rendering the desktop, and the mixer does not work nice with raw ALSA (plus it's not easily replaceable)

Remember that this is all opensource, so with some work the Ubuntu installer could be made to work in Debian. I agree Ubuntu's one is better.
It will be one thing that I'll try to do.

Debian also doesn't have fonts as nice as Ubuntu, so I'll "fix" it for KXStudio-on-Debian as well.
Alwaysanewb wrote:I like the idea of debian a lot more than arch. I'll bite the bullet and deal with a switch to debian though. Especially if everyonce else in the community wants the switch. The only time I had debian installed the gui looked like a cheesy rip off of windows 98 thats a real turn off.
The alternate installer has always been there, and I believe that's what you used there.
As I said, I'll try to get the Ubuntu installer working on Debian, it's certainly not impossible.
It's mostly with stuff like unity lens I don't like canocal for. I'm on 12.04 so I haven't had to deal with it but there is other things like that I don't like. Besides that I think it's the best distro I have used because the obvious usaibility of the distro.

I know this is all open source. I didn't know you could use the ubuntu installer and I don't ever suggest things like improve the installer because all the work you have put into it and the resuilt is so good so I figure you have some type of priority list in your head to where you need to put the work and it seems to be working pretty good so far.

Unity3d it horrible for audio production, but this is only because it runs things like compiz fusion and stuff all the time and it really doesn't need it. If you run unity2d is the best for speed and latency I have found and it looks the same. That being said a lot of poeple wouldn't like unity no matter how fast or efficent it was so I can see the problem there.

Kxstudio is your show and you know what you are doing. Also if the community wants to make the move the 3 or 4 people like me can deal with it. I have used debian before and for a linux distro it seems pretty straight forward. It's not as easy as ubuntu. To tell the truth for me any linux is easier that trying to get a decent audio setup running on windows. I don't know anything about the amd drivers on debian that kind of scares me. It will probably be fine but sometimes its the little things that get you on linux.

I don't think if you decide to make the switch it will happen tommorow but if you think debians the best choice go for it. Linux and opensource is about the community and you can't please everyone. I don't like fishsticks doesn't mean sometimes thats what's for dinner.
Alwaysanewb
Established Member

Post by Alwaysanewb »

I don't install ubuntu studio. I Have rattled on and on enough on the forums about how bad it sucks and why it sucks. I didn't even know it had a progect leader I thought some idiot put every music software made on linux added it to ubuntu 7 years ago. Shoved it out the door and hasn't updated it since. I've tried it a couple times hoping the fixed everything that was wrong the first time and sure enough they didn't fix anything. So all ubuntu studio is good for is giving linux audio a bad name.

I'll use my current setup till I blow it up again. If 12.04 or ubuntu is not supported by you anymore I'll just use your debian install not a big deal. I'm real picky about everything and there isn't one distro that makes me happy (Except kxstudio of course) so at least I have time to get use to the idea of debian when you switch it over.

Not to pry I heard you throwing around the word team. Is someone working with you now?
tatch
Established Member

Post by tatch »

falkTX wrote: Don't forget about UbuntuStudio though. Having KXStudio on Ubuntu kinda clashes with it sometimes, I've had some arguments with the project leader quite a few times, it's very awkward...
out of curiosity, what kind of arguments have you gotten into?

re:moving to Debian, I haven't voted because I would probably be fine either way.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

falkTX wrote:
GMaq wrote:Haha, don't want to be off-topic but I couldn't resist... if you look closely at the latest AV Linux the default font is 'Ubuntu Medium' ...problem solved :wink:
hm, I'm not a fan of the Ubuntu font, the regular Droid or DejaVu are pretty nice.
Still, does AVLinux enable subfixel font rendering like Ubuntu? That is the issue, not the font itself.
Yes I did know what you meant I was just being a smartass, however I do really like the Ubuntu font personally

Subpixel font rendering is set to 'automatic' by default in AV Linux, if the system doesn't configure or pick it up it properly you can force it to use it 'always' or 'never' as well from the 'System Font Display Settings' launcher in the Control Panel (which is just a shortcut to dpkg fontconfig-config),
tux99
Established Member

Post by tux99 »

falkTX wrote: Debian does not implement this due to the patents issue.
My guess is that AVLinux doesn't either...?
The patents expired three years ago:
http://www.freetype.org/patents.html
Since May 2010, all patents related to bytecode hinting have expired worldwide. It it thus no longer necessary to disable the bytecode interpreter, and starting with FreeType version 2.4, it is enabled by default.
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

falkTX wrote:Don't forget about UbuntuStudio though. Having KXStudio on Ubuntu kinda clashes with it sometimes, I've had some arguments with the project leader quite a few times, it's very awkward...
With Scott or Kaj?
falkTX wrote:Very very soon I'll release Carla 1.0.0, then comes Cadence 1.0, then a new DISTRHO release with its PluginToolkit ready.
Then somewhere in August comes KXStudio 12.04.2/3.
The Debian repos will be setup slowly in between those^ releases. I'm not in a hurry.
August, that's already next month. I'm not in a hurry he says. Guess I'm getting old ;)
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

falkTX wrote:EDIT: Wherever it's illegal to use subpixel rendering is not what I'm discussing. I don't know the reasons why Ubuntu has it and Debian doesn't, but I believe no one will care if a small distro such as KXStudio uses it.
Thanks for bringing this up, good font rendering is quite important, it is another reason why I still use Ubuntu.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

falkTX wrote: I don't know the reasons why Ubuntu has it and Debian doesn't, but I believe no one will care if a small distro such as KXStudio uses it.
mmm?

Code: Select all

cat /etc/*-release
PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux jessie/sid"
NAME="Debian GNU/Linux"
ID=debian
ANSI_COLOR="1;31"
HOME_URL="http://www.debian.org/"
SUPPORT_URL="http://www.debian.org/support/"
BUG_REPORT_URL="http://bugs.debian.org/

cat /usr/include/freetype2/freetype/config/ftoption.h | grep FT_CONFIG_OPTION_SUBPIXEL_RENDERING
#define FT_CONFIG_OPTION_SUBPIXEL_RENDERING

apt-cache policy libfreetype6
libfreetype6:
  Installiert:           2.4.9-1.1
  Installationskandidat: 2.4.9-1.1
  Versionstabelle:
 *** 2.4.9-1.1 0
        500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ unstable/main i386 Packages
        500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/main i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
http://patch-tracker.debian.org/patch/s ... ring.patch
subpixel-rendering is enabled in debain at least since wheezy
On the road again.
totalchaos
Established Member

Post by totalchaos »

REALLY... is that the big trouble with Debian - "bad" fonts and "impossible" installer. Thank god there are tar.gz's :lol: .

I think a more valid question is - which edition of Debian will be chosen, Wheezy or Sid?

As for voting, i'm 100% yes!!!
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

falkTX wrote:Kaj
The current project leader right?. Bummer. He seems like a more knowledgeable guy.
briandc
Established Member

Post by briandc »

I voted yes, because I think KXStudio deserves to be "seen" by a larger community. If it's not too complicated to make the change, and the "negative" aspects can be remedied, I think it can only be a good thing. :)

Imho as a noob, of course... :D

brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
My sound synthesis biome: http://www.linuxsynths.com