KX mini manual

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

User avatar
touchstyle
Established Member
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:18 pm
Location: Italy
Contact:

Re: KX mini manual

Postby touchstyle » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:16 pm

As told with falkTX and danboid via e-mail, I just started a translation of KXStudio manual in italian.
I am using the wikispaces services, with this address:

http://kxstudio-ita.wikispaces.com/

If any italian guy are iterested about this opration, please do not esitate to contact me!

Grazie mille,
Touch.
Dedenis AKA Touchstyle
Site : http://www.touchstyle.it
EMail : touchstyle (at) gmail (dot) com

User avatar
touchstyle
Established Member
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:18 pm
Location: Italy
Contact:

Re: KX mini manual

Postby touchstyle » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:06 pm

Dedenis AKA Touchstyle
Site : http://www.touchstyle.it
EMail : touchstyle (at) gmail (dot) com

wolftune
Established Member
Posts: 1302
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:40 pm
Location: Portland, OR
Contact:

Re: KX mini manual

Postby wolftune » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:54 pm

I just made some minor edits to the intro and the Free Software sections regarding the fact that KXStudio is now Debian-focused
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
http://wolftune.com

wolftune
Established Member
Posts: 1302
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:40 pm
Location: Portland, OR
Contact:

Re: KX mini manual

Postby wolftune » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:35 am

falkTX wrote:
wolftune wrote:I just made some minor edits to the intro and the Free Software sections regarding the fact that KXStudio is now Debian-focused

correct, but remember that it's a work in progress. the current ISO release is still based on Ubuntu
(thanks)

Indeed the edits reflected that. 8)
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
http://wolftune.com

danboid
Established Member
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:28 am
Location: England

Re: KX mini manual

Postby danboid » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:56 pm

touchstyle:

Great work on the translation! I hope its a good one! :D

wolftune:

I'm sorry but I really didn't like your changes to the intro so I've reverted it. Remember, this manual is for the KX ISO - not the repos. The ISO is Ubuntu based, like it or not, and introducing a load of convoluted ramblings on distros being based upon Ubuntu which is based upon Debian (not strictly true anyway) is no help whatsoever and too much detail for what is just an introduction to a short manual for Linux noobs. I have added a short note to the intro to state 'The KXStudio software repositories, however, can be used with both Ubuntu and Debian Linux.' That is as much as I can stomach adding re Debian to the intro. The Free Software page looks fine.
Are you new to Linux Audio? This manual explains how to install KXStudio, set up and use JACK, mimimize latency, lists the best Linux AV apps and much more all in a concise and easy to understand format.

http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/kxstudio_manual

wolftune
Established Member
Posts: 1302
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:40 pm
Location: Portland, OR
Contact:

Re: KX mini manual

Postby wolftune » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:38 pm

danboid wrote:introducing a load of convoluted ramblings on distros being based upon Ubuntu which is based upon Debian (not strictly true anyway) is no help whatsoever


Dan, I would appreciate if you just take a pause for a moment when you post things like this. I am sure you are well-meaning but the only thing counterproductive here is calling reasonable edits "convoluted ramblings". It doesn't help anyone to exaggerate and to post unconstructive criticism. That part of your message could simply have been left out. Tell me where you disagree technically, or tell me specifically if you think something is wordy, that's constructive. There's a risk that calling someone's work a "load of convoluted ramblings" is going to be interpreted by some people as "your input here is not welcome, go away." I do not interpret it that way, but I'm concerned about maintaining a friendly atmosphere and community here. So while I'm not personally offended, I can say with certainty that anyone can look at the edit history and see that your characterization is baseless. You don't have to agree with my edit, but it wasn't ramblings, period. It was just a mention of something you didn't want included.

On a productive note, I made a new edit, consolidated some of the things, and removed some actual rambling (but it was rambling that was there from before, not from me). I think you'll be pleased with the current update.

Regarding the focus of the manual, I'm fine with it being on KXStudio the distro, but I do suggest we give deference to falkTX on that somewhat. He has generally expressed interest in emphasizing the repositories and de-emphasizing the distro.

So just again to clarify: no offense taken, and I intend no offense either, but please try to stick to constructive criticism. It's perfectly fine to disagree about things and express your disagreement.

Cheers
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
http://wolftune.com

zth
Established Member
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:06 pm

Re: KX mini manual

Postby zth » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:27 pm

In the spirit of constructive criticism...

wolftune, it baffles me that you can write an entire paragraph about constuctive criticism, and about writing where you disagree technically instead of calling things "ramblings", only to in the next paragraph state that you edited out ramblings (that you make very clear wasn't written by you, but someone else) without even mentioning what that was, how you disagreed, or how you edited it. I'm sure that's available in some wiki-logs, but for the people just reading this thread (like me) this can indeed seem counterproductive (editing without discussion and calling it ramblings), and quite frankly, rude.

As you say yourself, keeping a friendly atmosphere is vital. I'm sure you mean no offence, but danboid's maybe not the only one who needs to pause for a moment before posting things :)

wolftune
Established Member
Posts: 1302
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:40 pm
Location: Portland, OR
Contact:

Re: KX mini manual

Postby wolftune » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:59 pm

zth wrote:In the spirit of constructive criticism...

wolftune, it baffles me that you can write an entire paragraph about constuctive criticism, and about writing where you disagree technically instead of calling things "ramblings", only to in the next paragraph state that you edited out ramblings (that you make very clear wasn't written by you, but someone else) without even mentioning what that was, how you disagreed, or how you edited it. I'm sure that's available in some wiki-logs, but for the people just reading this thread (like me) this can indeed seem counterproductive (editing without discussion and calling it ramblings), and quite frankly, rude.

As you say yourself, keeping a friendly atmosphere is vital. I'm sure you mean no offence, but danboid's maybe not the only one who needs to pause for a moment before posting things :)


Thanks, zth, indeed. I've no claim to being perfect. For the record, my opaque reference to "ramblings" referred in this case were about non-substantial minor things. In other words, the "ramblings" I changed were simply that I took some sentences and figured out how to say the same things in fewer words more clearly.

I don't think calling something "ramblings" is rude necessarily. Saying "this is too wordy, it's just rambling" is perfectly constructive feedback, for example. Often, a writer has a good topic to mention but does it in a rambling way. When an editor helps improve that, everyone wins. Both Dan and I have sometimes written things that are too rambly. The problem is when substantial ideas are dismissed by calling the whole thing "rambling". It's also a problem when criticism is hyperbolic.

So I guess I'm saying that I agree with Dan that rambling is a problem. I guess what I wanted to say all along is that (A) I don't agree with his exaggerated claim that I wrote ramblings in this case, and (B) I wish he'd separated out any claims of rambliness from disagreements about scope or accuracy. And mostly I want all of us (yes, I'm projecting, this is something for me to work on also!) to express appreciation for everyone's input and feedback and try not to be annoyed at anyone for making contributions even if we don't always agree with them or find them helpful.
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
http://wolftune.com

zth
Established Member
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:06 pm

Re: KX mini manual

Postby zth » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:55 pm

wolftune wrote:
zth wrote:In the spirit of constructive criticism...

wolftune, it baffles me that you can write an entire paragraph about constuctive criticism, and about writing where you disagree technically instead of calling things "ramblings", only to in the next paragraph state that you edited out ramblings (that you make very clear wasn't written by you, but someone else) without even mentioning what that was, how you disagreed, or how you edited it. I'm sure that's available in some wiki-logs, but for the people just reading this thread (like me) this can indeed seem counterproductive (editing without discussion and calling it ramblings), and quite frankly, rude.

As you say yourself, keeping a friendly atmosphere is vital. I'm sure you mean no offence, but danboid's maybe not the only one who needs to pause for a moment before posting things :)


Thanks, zth, indeed. I've no claim to being perfect. For the record, my opaque reference to "ramblings" referred in this case were about non-substantial minor things. In other words, the "ramblings" I changed were simply that I took some sentences and figured out how to say the same things in fewer words more clearly.

I don't think calling something "ramblings" is rude necessarily. Saying "this is too wordy, it's just rambling" is perfectly constructive feedback, for example. Often, a writer has a good topic to mention but does it in a rambling way. When an editor helps improve that, everyone wins. Both Dan and I have sometimes written things that are too rambly. The problem is when substantial ideas are dismissed by calling the whole thing "rambling". It's also a problem when criticism is hyperbolic.

So I guess I'm saying that I agree with Dan that rambling is a problem. I guess what I wanted to say all along is that (A) I don't agree with his exaggerated claim that I wrote ramblings in this case, and (B) I wish he'd separated out any claims of rambliness from disagreements about scope or accuracy. And mostly I want all of us (yes, I'm projecting, this is something for me to work on also!) to express appreciation for everyone's input and feedback and try not to be annoyed at anyone for making contributions even if we don't always agree with them or find them helpful.


Hear hear, I agree with you completely, I was just reacting to how you phrased it, which I personally found a bit harsh for being part of a post telling people to not be harsh ;)

Anyway, you two are both doing a great job, and while it's obvious you both occasionally disagree (more or less violently ;) ), it's refreshing for me as an outsider to see how this effort is still carried forward collaboratively. Good work both of you, I hope more work like this gets carried out in the future :).

danboid
Established Member
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:28 am
Location: England

Re: KX mini manual

Postby danboid » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:31 pm

I have added Tracktion to the list of recommended apps and I'll likely add Obxd when F packages it too.

I've also added a link to the Italian translation of the manual on the main / index page.
Are you new to Linux Audio? This manual explains how to install KXStudio, set up and use JACK, mimimize latency, lists the best Linux AV apps and much more all in a concise and easy to understand format.

http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/kxstudio_manual

danboid
Established Member
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:28 am
Location: England

Re: KX mini manual

Postby danboid » Thu May 29, 2014 7:01 pm

I've just added Bitwig to

http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/include ... ended_apps

I'm going to be installing KX 14.04 and updating the manual (if needed) as soon as I've finished my first Tracktion track then hopefully F will make this thread sticky again as it seems my work on the manual (which I wish more people would recommend) is being overlooked already. :(
Are you new to Linux Audio? This manual explains how to install KXStudio, set up and use JACK, mimimize latency, lists the best Linux AV apps and much more all in a concise and easy to understand format.

http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/kxstudio_manual

danboid
Established Member
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:28 am
Location: England

Re: KX mini manual

Postby danboid » Thu May 29, 2014 7:32 pm

Thanks for the re-sticky F! :)
Are you new to Linux Audio? This manual explains how to install KXStudio, set up and use JACK, mimimize latency, lists the best Linux AV apps and much more all in a concise and easy to understand format.

http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/kxstudio_manual

danboid
Established Member
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:28 am
Location: England

Re: KX mini manual

Postby danboid » Thu May 29, 2014 7:42 pm

falkTX wrote:Remember that non-free apps are no longer in the new ISOs or in the repos. Just keep that in mind.


Yep, I'm aware of that but it doesn't affect that page as its just a general 'Best Linux Audio apps' list and doesn't specify whats included and whats not.

One chapter that will need some adjustment is

http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/wineasio_and_reaper

As you don't include REAPER anymore and I don't think wine and wineasio are included on your 14.04 ISO either are they?
Are you new to Linux Audio? This manual explains how to install KXStudio, set up and use JACK, mimimize latency, lists the best Linux AV apps and much more all in a concise and easy to understand format.

http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/kxstudio_manual

wolftune
Established Member
Posts: 1302
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:40 pm
Location: Portland, OR
Contact:

Re: KX mini manual

Postby wolftune » Thu May 29, 2014 7:47 pm

Wine isn't in the ISO but it's still in the repos.
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
http://wolftune.com

danboid
Established Member
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:28 am
Location: England

Re: KX mini manual

Postby danboid » Thu May 29, 2014 7:48 pm

Yep, ah knew that but thanks anyhoo wolfman!
Are you new to Linux Audio? This manual explains how to install KXStudio, set up and use JACK, mimimize latency, lists the best Linux AV apps and much more all in a concise and easy to understand format.

http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/kxstudio_manual


Return to “KXStudio Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest