Page 23 of 27

Re: KX mini manual

Posted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:04 am
by danboid
I have updated the OP with the new link to the wiki following the merge with la.org and also added a link to the mirror on F's site and got rid of the now unnecessary plan for contents, TOC and associated waffle.

Re: KX mini manual

Posted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:47 pm
by falkTX
danboid wrote:I have updated the OP with the new link to the wiki following the merge with la.org and also added a link to the mirror on F's site and got rid of the now unnecessary plan for contents, TOC and associated waffle.

Cool, thanks very much.

I need to update my script now to work with the new wiki, sometime next month.

Re: KX mini manual

Posted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:44 am
by tbritton
danboid,

Treeeeeee-mendous! Thanks!

Terry

danboid wrote:You mean like I documented here?

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=10271

;)

Its a good point though and when you said that I was sure I had mentioned this in the ALSA chapter but, if I did, it has been edited away since but its there now. The relevant paragraph now reads:

In the bottom right corner of the mixer window there is a tool icon. This icon allows you to configure which channels are available to control for the currently selected kmix device tab. You may find that some controls you need are missing at first, so you may add them via this Configure Channels window. A common example of when you might need to use the kmix Configure Channels window is if you are using any SPDIF (optical) ports, which are referred to as IEC958 devices under GNU/Linux, as such controls are often not displayed by default.

Re: KX mini manual

Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:12 pm
by wolftune
I think we should add a section about keeping KXStudio up-to-date. It needs to reference the one most important thing: ignoring Kubuntu backports of KDE until they have KXStudio patches.

I'm a little unsure of the exact way to put this. Is the reason that we need the Kubuntu backports instead of only going through KXStudio PPA's because only some of the items are patched? Because this awkwardness wouldn't happen if everything came through KXStudio and we didn't have the systems set to access Kubuntu directly at all. But at the very least, I want to specify to people how to tell when the patches are done so the update should go ahead…

Re: KX mini manual

Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:29 pm
by falkTX
wolftune wrote:I think we should add a section about keeping KXStudio up-to-date. It needs to reference the one most important thing: ignoring Kubuntu backports of KDE until they have KXStudio patches.

I'm a little unsure of the exact way to put this. Is the reason that we need the Kubuntu backports instead of only going through KXStudio PPA's because only some of the items are patched? Because this awkwardness wouldn't happen if everything came through KXStudio and we didn't have the systems set to access Kubuntu directly at all. But at the very least, I want to specify to people how to tell when the patches are done so the update should go ahead…

This should not be reason to worry. afaik only 1 more kde version will be put in the kde backports PPA (4.10.5).

I'll have to have some different system setup for kde backports for 14.04, we'll discuss this later

Re: KX mini manual

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:51 pm
by danboid
I expect I'll be adding another chapter or two to the KX manual soon.

It would be nice if Canonical/Nvidia could get their driver working with 3.11 in time for the imminent KX 12.04.3 release but I don't see that happening unfortunately. If it did happen, F could ship the new release with 3.11 and no-one would have to downgrade their kernel to use their USB audio devices. As it is, it looks like KX will ship with the buggy USB audio code of 3.8. This means many people will have to downgrade kernels so this process should be covered in the manual.

Re: KX mini manual

Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:40 pm
by danboid
I have just spent all day updating the KX Studio manual on the LA wiki to reflect the changes and additions brought by 12.04.3 as well as adding a whole new chapter - 'Choosing and installing kernels':

http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/choosin ... ng_kernels

A mostly complete list of the changes I made to the manual today includes:

Removed extra 'here' on index page.

Added Easy2Boot and USDC as alternatives to unetbootin on the Downloading, booting and running KXStudio 'live' page.

Updated UEFI link to be more specific on Installing KXStudio page

Proper description of KXStudio Welcome Setup added to Installing KXStudio page

Numerous small fixes/updates to Package Management page

Added more detail to 'Nvidia video fixes and tweaks' within Installing non-free video drivers chapter

Added 'Configure default laptop screen brightness' section to video drivers page

Added note on Skype and Mumble to non-JACK apps section of 'ALSA and KXStudio' chapter

Updated 'System checks' section of Cadence Introduction to note the user is added into the audio group during install now.

Various other small tweaks to the Cadence Introduction and WineASIO pages.

How's your website update coming on F? I expect you'll need to update your manual mirroring script now?

Re: KX mini manual

Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:48 pm
by Thad E Ginathom
Just a thank you for the ongoing work :)

Re: KX mini manual

Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:53 pm
by danboid
Thanks Thad!

Its about the best I can do right now to help F and the free (Linux audio) software communities.

Re: KX mini manual

Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:06 pm
by danboid
I've just made a few small tweaks to the 'Changing GRUB's default kernel' section of the new chapter like including a link to Grub-Customizer's home.

I've also added setBfree and Triceratops to the list of recommended apps.

EDIT

Just made a few tweaks to 'Are you running the best kernel for your hardware?' section of the new chapter too.

Re: KX mini manual

Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:16 pm
by Thad E Ginathom
I'm glad you're giving a word for Grub Customiser.

I have to live with a multi-boot machine, and with finding that kernel updates don't work for me. I'm supposed to "techie" (ha ha, it's all in the past) but I find grub very hard to undertand. Grub Customiser makes it all doable.

Re: KX mini manual

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:44 am
by danboid
Grub-customizer is in my top 10 most useful Linux utils, I think!

Why isn't it in the official Debuntu repos yet? There is surely demand for this utility. Prob because its not got enough exposure so I hope I'm helping to fix that.

Re: KX mini manual

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:53 pm
by danboid
I have replaced the screencap of Cadence's wineasio options on http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/wineasio_and_reaper with a working image (the previous one was removed from F's site it seems) and I have also updated http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/choosin ... ng_kernels with a link to xorg-edgers PPA for NVIDIA and Catalyst users who want to run 3.11 w/ full gfx support.

Re: KX mini manual

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:12 pm
by falkTX
danboid wrote:I have replaced the screencap of Cadence's wineasio options on http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/wineasio_and_reaper with a working image (the previous one was removed from F's site it seems)

oh sorry, the new URL is http://kxstudio.sourceforge.net/screens ... dence3.png

danboid wrote:and I have also updated http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/choosin ... ng_kernels with a link to xorg-edgers PPA for NVIDIA and Catalyst users who want to run 3.11 w/ full gfx support.

hm, not sure if I would recommend that...
xorg-edgers as the name implies is for bleeding-edge stuff, and might break things if not careful.

Re: KX mini manual

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:20 pm
by danboid
So shall we just tell Nvidia and ATI users to avoid installing 3.11? Installing the binary drivers can be a bit tricky if not using a PPA or the official repos.