KX mini manual

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

wolftune
Established Member

Re: KX mini manual

Post by wolftune »

I just did an overhaul of the non-free software page. I clarified better about everything and removed redundancy and excessive explanations, reordered things to be much more clear and logical. Cheers
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
http://wolftune.com
tatch
Established Member

Post by tatch »

A little off-topic, but has anyone thought about changing the wiki theme? I think even the new dokuwiki default theme is considerably better than the current theme.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

Wolftune:

I've just proofread you revised Free software page and it was fine save for one small spelling mistake which I just fixed.

I was considering adding a chapter on KDE tweaks at one point but I don't think there is enough non-obvious stuff in KDE to justify a whole new section to the manual and I fear it could spiral out of control into all sorts of not really relevant to KXStudio, KDE stuff. I think that any user who has sat down and used KDE for more than an hour will stumble across System Settings and most everything is self-explanatory within there.

The one thing I DON'T think is obvious about KDE that must frustrate lots of newbs ( I know it caught me out when I first started using KDE 4) is the whole, silly needing to activate 'Folder View' desktop mode before you can create shortcuts and folders on your desktop. IMO this should be the default mode as its what users of Windows, OSX and every other popular desktop expect. If F chooses to make this the default in 12.04.2, I think we'll have almost no real need for a KDE tweaks section.
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

Yeah, all I know about Folder View is that at least one or two installations I used in the past had it on by default. I think maybe KXStudio 12.04 even did. It confused me when I ran 12.04.1 and I had to set it up myself. I don't know that this is a KDE default. All I know is: I agree with you it should be on to start. I have it set like most systems to a particular directory called "Desktop".

For the docs anyway, I think it is warranted to have a mention that KXStudio uses KDE and just a link to kde.org or something, unless we can find a different intro link we like.
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

The Useful links chapter, at least, states that KX Studio uses KDE by default - for those few who haven't worked it out already by booting KX or guessing from hearing its name.

The same chapter links to a good introduction to the KDE Plasma desktop - our job wrt to KDE is done if F makes the KDE desktop use 'Folder view' mode by default IMO.
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

ok, great!
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

I did another KX .1 install today on a machine I've built for a friend and looks like I owe Mr.F a slight apology as it looks like the default desktop does currently default to Folder view already - at least it seems to on a fresh 64-bit install, before you update to the latest KDE. Should be the same on the 32bit version although I'm sure I had to change this setting last time I installed? :roll: :?:
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

I have updated the installation chapter to include a link to the SSD optimization guide and I have also credited the manual on the TOC page as such:
The KXStudio manual was written by Dan MacDonald with the assistance of Aaron Wolf, Filipe Coelho and the LinuxMusicians community.
Does that sound OK to you guys? Would you prefer to be credited as falktx F? What do you think Wolfman? Could you please credit us the same on

http://kxstudio.sourceforge.net/Documentation

Rather than just saying 'Community maintained' please F - I want this on my CV y'see! :)
Last edited by danboid on Sun May 12, 2013 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

I'm not sure about the brackets, looks a bit odd but yes, thats cool otherwise F and I've changed your credit to falkTX on the wiki.

Thanks!
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

F:

Time to update the docs again! I've just been through all the KX manual wiki pages and changed the formatting of terminal commands from using bold text to the 'proper' code block formatting.
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

Dan, I'm happy with that but want it to be more specific: could we please agree to license it under CC-BY-SA?
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

That's fine by me if F thinks that'd be the best license too. I'd like to get his opinion before we decide.
tbritton
Established Member

Post by tbritton »

I assure you that anyone using an SPDIF (or S/PDIF ) digital connection from their computer to an amp is going to give up on Linux and KXStudio for audio unless it is made clear somewhere in this manual how to connect it - whether via kmix or alsamixer or whatever. Newbies do not know how to search the web for such answers - they simply do not understand why it works fine in Windows and does not work at all in Linux! Very frustrating.

See this post: http://www.linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic ... 47&t=10684

I mean it - this is important for anyone using their digital-outs to monitor with. (and why wouldn't they want to????)

Please include that little bit somewhere in this manual.

Terry
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

You mean like I documented here?

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=10271

;)

Its a good point though and when you said that I was sure I had mentioned this in the ALSA chapter but, if I did, it has been edited away since but its there now. The relevant paragraph now reads:
In the bottom right corner of the mixer window there is a tool icon. This icon allows you to configure which channels are available to control for the currently selected kmix device tab. You may find that some controls you need are missing at first, so you may add them via this Configure Channels window. A common example of when you might need to use the kmix Configure Channels window is if you are using any SPDIF (optical) ports, which are referred to as IEC958 devices under GNU/Linux, as such controls are often not displayed by default.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

I have updated the OP with the new link to the wiki following the merge with la.org and also added a link to the mirror on F's site and got rid of the now unnecessary plan for contents, TOC and associated waffle.