KX mini manual

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

danboid
Established Member

Re: KX mini manual

Post by danboid »

wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

@Dan, I did a thorough edit again. Hope you like the changes. I think overall, you're setting a good flow and I'm happy with where this is heading.

Let me point you to my notes about the rest of this process so you can think about these items as you consider the next parts:

1. Download disc image (.iso file) check! This part is now documented

2. Burn to DVD or make Live USB check! This part is now documented

3. Run live system (via pressing F12 at system start, but do not run install yet) check! This part is now documented; well, except for telling people not to run the installer, which is important so they first establish network connection before running install, see below

4. [skip to save time, it's ok just not as ideal] Run Gparted this whole section is an optional advanced thing but I think newbies who want to know about this should still have it; it establishes separate partitions for root vs home
* for dual-boot, adjust preexisting, add new extended partition
* make / (root) partition (in extended if dual-booting), size 20GB+ no more than 40GB probably, no label, ext4
* make /home partition (in extended if dual-booting), most of space minus 4-8GB for swap, no label, ext4
* make swap partition 8GB or so maybe at end

5. make sure to connect to network

6. run installer

7. choose manual for partitioning (if did 4 above or want to adjust things now)
* choose the new partitions and mark root / and /home for the larger home partition

8. do the install process

So anyway, all these need fleshing out to be thorough instructions.

Cheers!
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
http://wolftune.com
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

falkTX wrote: @wolftune:
About free vs non-free, although I make a distinction in the KX repos, Ubuntu doesn't.
The Ubuntu kernel ships with some non-free components and firmware, and there's also flash, freetype patch that may be patented and other small bits of not-fully-free software inside.
This is why some people use Debian instead, because it doesn't contain a single trace of non-free software. Even firefox is not there due to trademark, they have Iceweasel. :D
Anyway, my point is that this should not get too much detailed in the docs, as it's an extensive and boring subject to most people.
It deserves a note somewhere in there, but not more than that.
Fair enough. Thanks for the clarity. And I appreciate that you do things the way you do, including supporting non-free but in this separated way. All this is a big reason that I am very happy you are moving to support Debian eventually. I think Debian's solution of starting fully free but respecting freedom to the extent of allowing and supporting the installation of non-free, that's the balance that I like. I don't want to use FSF-approved totally dogmatic distros, but I'd like to move to Debian, or at least try it.

Anyway, regarding documentation, I am only pushing for a very brief mention of the Free / non-free issue with a link to an outside page for more. I don't want any more than that, but I'm going to keep pushing to have that much included. I want those who care about the issue to use KXStudio too! More KXStudio users is a good thing!
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
Thad E Ginathom
Established Member

Post by Thad E Ginathom »

Congratulations on the work-in-progress! You already have an audience :D
Anyway, regarding documentation, I am only pushing for a very brief mention of the Free / non-free issue with a link to an outside page for more.
I think this is the way to go on general Linux issues that others have explained all over the net.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

F:

I'm happy you like what I've done so far. Those first two chapters should apply without changes to the current release and the next but many of the later chapters concern software thats still in flux like Cadence so it may be better to wait until you're closer to releasing KX 12.04.2

Wolftune:

Your edits to chapter 2 look good except for two things I'm not so sure about.

I originally described one of the main benefits of using 64 bit as having shorter compilation times and you've replaced that with "better support of more memory". Thats certainly the case in the Windows world but under Linux we have had the option of enabling PAE mode in 32 bit kernels to access above 4GB for some time although I'm not sure if the 32 bit KX kernel supports PAE? If it does, then we may as well revert back to what I wrote. Whilst its true newbs won't know what compilation is, the chances are good they'll find themselves trying to compile something not too long after they install if they stick with it and at that point they may remember I mentioned that compilation benefits from the 64 bit instructions and is a major reason Linux users choose 64 bit, if they're aware of this and most of us compile stuff even if we're not devs.

Secondly, I think this chapter is the wrong place to mention

" Make sure you know whether you installed the 32-bit or 64-bit version as it may affect which software you should install when adding extra programs later. Confusingly, software will often fail to specify 32 or 64. Instead, you may see i386 (which is 32-bit) vs amd64 (which is 64-bit). If you install a 64-bit system, choose 64-bit software whenever there is a choice."

I agree explaining what i386 and amd64 refer to when it comes to packages would be worthwhile mentioning in the package management chapter but its too much info here. This kinda gives the impression that downloading packages individually, which is when you'd need to check for this, is the norm under Linux when most software gets installed via the repos so no such check is required anyway. Besides, if the user forgets if they installed 32 or 64 bit all they need do is type 'uname -a' in the terminal to see if they have a 32 or 64 bit kernel.

F + Wolftune:

The manual is up to the stage of covering the installation now but I'm pretty sure KX just uses the regular Ubuntu installer so I don't think there's any point in me re-writing any of this if we can just point the user to the Ubuntu docs as I think it should all apply as-is with one exception. What DOES need to be documented with respect to installation of KXStudio is its 'First boot wizard' or whatever its called. This reveals itself upon first boot and I have

NO IDEA

What it does. It asks the user if they want to reset some defaults or use some other defaults. I have always just accepted its default options for the defaults but as I say, I have no idea what it does either way so F is going to have to come to the rescue on this one. We should basically be able to point users to the Ubuntu install guides but we need to demystify this first run wizard thing - that is the key bit of missing KXStudio install documentation now.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

The 32 bit KX kernel does have PAE as I expected? In that case we're going back to reduced compilation times as a key reason for choosing 64-bit.

Let us know here when you've documented the KX Welcome Setup so I can link it in the installation chapter - thanks F!
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

Wolftune is really keen to plug the virtues of free software in this manual. I'm not philosopically against that as I'm totally, 100% Free software biased like most people on here but apart from me re-iterating the importance of brevity in this project AND that F has re-enforced that KX contains multiple bits on non-free code I just wanted to add another important reason why I'm not prepared to hammer home the free software stuff.

The masses STILL need/want commercial, non-free software. I don't see any way around this and this is something you'll never hear RMS say. He's very reluctant to admit it but if pushed he would have to agree that after 40+ years for free UNIX software we still don't have anything to rival popular apps such as AutoCAD, Adobe After FX and AAA games. You can count the number of commercial quality games that have been developed using FLOSS principals on one hand. We have proof that certain types of app development only happen (properly) in a commercial setting as people seem unwilling or unable to work on certain tasks for free.

I personally think that the arrival of Valve and all the nasty, non-free software that is bringing is FANTASTIC for not only Ubuntu but Linux and its adoption in general. This is what Linux has needed for 20 years to get it out of its server niche. More people will start using Linux when they can run the software that they need/want NATIVELY without wine getting in the way and then they'll discover GNU, the FSF, Stallman's rants and also the truly great aspects of the free software community.

I think free software is the way forward but for now, if we want Linux to succeed, non-free is a necessary evil is what I'm saying.
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

danboid wrote: Your edits to chapter 2 look good except for two things I'm not so sure about.

I originally described one of the main benefits of using 64 bit as having shorter compilation times and you've replaced that with "better support of more memory". Thats certainly the case in the Windows world but under Linux we have had the option of enabling PAE mode in 32 bit kernels to access above 4GB for some time although I'm not sure if the 32 bit KX kernel supports PAE? If it does, then we may as well revert back to what I wrote. Whilst its true newbs won't know what compilation is, the chances are good they'll find themselves trying to compile something not too long after they install if they stick with it and at that point they may remember I mentioned that compilation benefits from the 64 bit instructions and is a major reason Linux users choose 64 bit, if they're aware of this and most of us compile stuff even if we're not devs.
Is it really that noticeable? I'm under the impression that there's actually little reason to choose one or the other. In other words, I want this section to be as brief as possible because I don't think there's substantial reason for either choice. I'm ok with mentioning speed if it's really the case, but maybe say just "some things are a little faster." Because I don't think we should get too technical here or talk about compilation directly.
Secondly, I think this chapter is the wrong place to mention

" Make sure you know whether you installed the 32-bit or 64-bit version as it may affect which software you should install when adding extra programs later. Confusingly, software will often fail to specify 32 or 64. Instead, you may see i386 (which is 32-bit) vs amd64 (which is 64-bit). If you install a 64-bit system, choose 64-bit software whenever there is a choice."

I agree explaining what i386 and amd64 refer to when it comes to packages would be worthwhile mentioning in the package management chapter but its too much info here. This kinda gives the impression that downloading packages individually, which is when you'd need to check for this, is the norm under Linux when most software gets installed via the repos so no such check is required anyway. Besides, if the user forgets if they installed 32 or 64 bit all they need do is type 'uname -a' in the terminal to see if they have a 32 or 64 bit kernel.
Ah, right, the uname trick is good to know. I still thought this clarification fits in the place with mentioning 32 vs 64. I wonder if others have an opinion. I agree brevity is good. I won't really fight for this inclusion.
The manual is up to the stage of covering the installation now but I'm pretty sure KX just uses the regular Ubuntu installer so I don't think there's any point in me re-writing any of this if we can just point the user to the Ubuntu docs as I think it should all apply as-is with one exception. What DOES need to be documented with respect to installation of KXStudio is its 'First boot wizard' or whatever its called. This reveals itself upon first boot and I have

NO IDEA

What it does. It asks the user if they want to reset some defaults or use some other defaults. I have always just accepted its default options for the defaults but as I say, I have no idea what it does either way so F is going to have to come to the rescue on this one. We should basically be able to point users to the Ubuntu install guides but we need to demystify this first run wizard thing - that is the key bit of missing KXStudio install documentation now.
The welcome thing needs to change for 12.04.2. It needs to better explain itself what it does. So everything about making it clear should be within it. So this is a case where I suggest waiting until we see what the 12.04.2 welcome thing will be like.
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

danboid wrote:Wolftune is really keen to plug the virtues of free software in this manual. I'm not philosopically against that as I'm totally, 100% Free software biased like most people on here but apart from me re-iterating the importance of brevity in this project AND that F has re-enforced that KX contains multiple bits on non-free code I just wanted to add another important reason why I'm not prepared to hammer home the free software stuff.
I'm not suggesting hammering this! I just wanted it mentioned. It's a valid topic for those interested. One brief mention at all is not a hammer!
The masses STILL need/want commercial, non-free software. I don't see any way around this and this is something you'll never hear RMS say. He's very reluctant to admit it but if pushed he would have to agree that after 40+ years for free UNIX software we still don't have anything to rival popular apps such as AutoCAD, Adobe After FX and AAA games. You can count the number of commercial quality games that have been developed using FLOSS principals on one hand. We have proof that certain types of app development only happen (properly) in a commercial setting as people seem unwilling or unable to work on certain tasks for free.
I already said I don't agree with RMS' dogmatism. RMS already admits that FLOSS world isn't complete but he tells people to live in it anyway because that should be their priorities. I'm not saying we include anything like that, I'm just saying we acknowledge the issue briefly and clarify what KXStudio is. People are interested to know what KXStudio's relation to this is, and we should just mention it.
I personally think that the arrival of Valve and all the nasty, non-free software that is bringing is FANTASTIC for not only Ubuntu but Linux and its adoption in general. This is what Linux has needed for 20 years to get it out of its server niche. More people will start using Linux when they can run the software that they need/want NATIVELY without wine getting in the way and then they'll discover GNU, the FSF, Stallman's rants and also the truly great aspects of the free software community.
Well, they'll discover these things only if they aren't hidden. We don't need to bludgeon them, we just need to make the issue available. We just need a mention with a link so that those who come to GNU/Linux are faced with this. I agree with you about allowing non-free, it's just that it should be marked. We should keep a standard where people are aware about what software is Free or non-free. That's it.
I think free software is the way forward but for now, if we want Linux to succeed, non-free is a necessary evil is what I'm saying.
Again, I'm not even trying to get into this debate. I'm just saying that the documentation should clarify the issue briefly. We don't need to take a stand about what people should or shouldn't do. But we're responsible for giving people enough information that they are enabled to make their own decisions about what to use.
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

Wolftune:

I've reworded the USB install bit as you made it sound like it was required that they are required to format their USB drive to FAT32 and that isn't normally required but it does need to be FAT32 with at least 2GB (well, 1.9GB but that sounds silly) free. Most USB drives below a certain size still come formatted as FAT32 out of the factory although exFAT is becoming increasingly common so we do need to highlight the fs type required here.

People may have a large drive with lots of files stored on it that they'd prefer not to have to move off and back on if they can avoid it. People are lazy! If they have probs then formatting the drive would be a good idea though, yes.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

Wolftune:

KXStudio is a distro mainly targeted at people interested in AV work under Linux. People like us tend to do a lot of audio and video encoding and yes 64 bit does make a notable difference (I can't remember exactly but I recall a double digit delta) to the performance of apps like ffmpeg, libav, mencoder and the hundreds of media apps that use them such as Ardour, qtractor and KDEnlive versus running the same software under 32bit builds.

Compilation and packages are such important topics in LInux, even total newbs need to be made aware of them. Sooner or later they will want to try compiling something for themselves even though F does a damn fine job of making this largely unnecessary, having a 64 bit install again makes a big difference here so I'm convinced its 100% worth mentioning from the outset.

If they don't know what software compilation is they can find out in a sec and they will need to learn that term anyway, just like package management and its related vocab.
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

Ok, Dan, you've convinced me about the 32/64 issue. Truth is, I was never that clear myself. :oops:
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

Chapter 3 - Installation - is done!

http://www.wiki.linuxmusicians.com/doku ... g_kxstudio

Happy Easter LM forums!

EDIT

Actually, it not quite done yet as I expect a Wolftune remix and I we also await F to explain his Welcome tool options.
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

edits made, cheers

Oh, and regarding welcome tool, falkTX and I have been in discussion about including a second more neutral theme alternative for those who don't want the black KXStudio theme. I've designed things, he tweaked, there's also some scripts for panel setup. The plan, I think, is to get this (and maybe some extra stuff if I can push for it) to be included with 12.04.2
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
hebjuzeb
Established Member

Post by hebjuzeb »

Hi guys,

Looking at this project from the relative-newb POV, I'm starting to see a problem in terms of scope; if this is indeed meant to be a 1 or 2 page manual, the installation chapter seems at least partly redundant. Mostly it's a tutorial on general Linux install procedures . . . better-executed than most, but there's not much KXStudio-specific information.

Regarding the Welcome menu I'd stress that WINE programs won't work at all 'till after running it, and also mention that it's a great escape-hatch if you make any unfortunate changes in JACK setup; you can always go back to square one, it's come in handy for me before.

BTW I'm aware of the irony in criticizing without doing any of the work, hopefully it's not too annoying . . . ; )
Acer Aspire 5742, Intel Core i3 370M @ 2.40GHz, 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz, Intel(R) HD Graphics, Alesis iO4 audio device.