Changes in KXStudio repositories

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

m.lp.ql.m
Established Member

Re: Changes in KXStudio repositories

Post by m.lp.ql.m »

Does this imply that the next KXStudio ISO will NOT be based on 14.04?
cemorse
Established Member

Post by cemorse »

I'm currently running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS with Unity and have KX Studio repos enabled. Quite happy with the setup.

I am looking to build a new machine (more portable) and am debating whether I should install install the KX Studio 14.04 ISO as the base build, or whether it would be more prudent to install Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and add the repos on top of that.

Also pondering a Ubuntu Mate 16.04 install plus repos as well.

Anyone have any thoughts on the best route to take? I don't mind a bit of OS fiddling, but mostly want to get the new machine up and running/stable as quickly as possible. Mostly running a suite of midi softsynths - Calf/SetBFree/Zyn - plus effects for noodling around around on keyboard. Machine would be primarily for music, plus some light Blender 3d work.
FDZ
Established Member

Post by FDZ »

I've run a dist-upgrade from Xubuntu 15.10 to 16.04. After that I downloaded and installed the KXstudio-repos and gcc5 packages. But after updating the software I still can't find any KXstudio package in my software center, nor can I find any through apt-get. However the software installed before like cadence are still working well.
FDZ
Established Member

Post by FDZ »

falkTX wrote:you need to purge the kxstudio-repo packages and re-enable them.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge kxstudio-repos kxstudio-repos-gcc5
That works, thanks~
Snap
Established Member

Post by Snap »

Just in case someone is wondering...

SHA1 removal
cemorse
Established Member

Post by cemorse »

I posted this over on Zyn-Fusion forum earlier, but reposting here in case the issue is related... particularly since the issue cropped up after updating this AM and I noted most of this mornings updates were carla/kxstudio related....

Been happily running the paid version of Zyn-Fusion for the past couple of weeks on linux. Running in Carla alongside a few other synths (setBfree & FluidGM) and using Ardour for mixing the outputs.

Worked fine through last night, but after installing a number of kxstudio updates this AM it now crashes when trying to select a new patch. Works ok using the saved 'last patch' when session saved from Carla. But as soon as I navigate to select a new patch, Carla abrubtly closes, Zyn GUI freezes and jack starts cranking out overruns by the thousands.

Carla log:

Error opening file /opt/zyn-fusion/ZynAddSubFX.lv2/ZynAddSubFX.so/manifest.ttl (Not a directory)
lilv_world_load_file(): error: Error loading file `file:///opt/zyn-fusion/ZynAddSubFX.lv2/ZynAddSubFX.so/manifest.ttl'
lilv_world_load_bundle(): error: Error reading file:///opt/zyn-fusion/ZynAddSubFX.lv2/ZynAddSubFX.so/manifest.ttl
Error opening file /opt/zyn-fusion/ZynAddSubFX.lv2/manifest.ttl/manifest.ttl (Not a directory)
lilv_world_load_file(): error: Error loading file `file:///opt/zyn-fusion/ZynAddSubFX.lv2/manifest.ttl/manifest.ttl'
lilv_world_load_bundle(): error: Error reading file:///opt/zyn-fusion/ZynAddSubFX.lv2/manifest.ttl/manifest.ttl
Error opening file /opt/zyn-fusion/ZynAddSubFX.lv2/presets.ttl/manifest.ttl (Not a directory)
lilv_world_load_file(): error: Error loading file `file:///opt/zyn-fusion/ZynAddSubFX.lv2/presets.ttl/manifest.ttl'
lilv_world_load_bundle(): error: Error reading file:///opt/zyn-fusion/ZynAddSubFX.lv2/presets.ttl/manifest.ttl
Error opening file /opt/zyn-fusion/ZynAddSubFX.lv2/ZynAddSubFX.ttl/manifest.ttl (Not a directory)
lilv_world_load_file(): error: Error loading file `file:///opt/zyn-fusion/ZynAddSubFX.lv2/ZynAddSubFX.ttl/manifest.ttl'
lilv_world_load_bundle(): error: Error reading file:///opt/zyn-fusion/ZynAddSubFX.lv2/ZynAddSubFX.ttl/manifest.ttl
Error opening file /opt/zyn-fusion/ZynAddSubFX.lv2/ZynAddSubFX_ui.so/manifest.ttl (Not a directory)
lilv_world_load_file(): error: Error loading file `file:///opt/zyn-fusion/ZynAddSubFX.lv2/ZynAddSubFX_ui.so/manifest.ttl'
lilv_world_load_bundle(): error: Error reading file:///opt/zyn-fusion/ZynAddSubFX.lv2/ZynAddSubFX_ui.so/manifest.ttl
Error opening file /opt/zyn-fusion/ZynAddSubFX.lv2/ZynAddSubFX_ui.ttl/manifest.ttl (Not a directory)
lilv_world_load_file(): error: Error loading file `file:///opt/zyn-fusion/ZynAddSubFX.lv2/ZynAddSubFX_ui.ttl/manifest.ttl'
lilv_world_load_bundle(): error: Error reading file:///opt/zyn-fusion/ZynAddSubFX.lv2/ZynAddSubFX_ui.ttl/manifest.ttl
lo server running on 19101

Seems to be trying to add "/manifest.ttl" to the end of everything and then failing because there is not a next level to navigate to. The six files referenced before the "/manifest.ttl" above are present on the stipulated path.

Any ideas?
thebutant
Established Member

Post by thebutant »

Hey.
I don't know if this is qt5 related or what has happened, but:
Yesterday I was working in Qtractor 0.8.0 (a build that came yesterday or the day before, I think) and Carla. No problem, happy system.

Today with the updated versions, Carla won't start at all.
And Qtractor looks like Windows 3.x - no GTK fancy theming (sorry, I don't remember the words for this now. I hope you understand what I mean).
Qtractor WORKS perfectly well, though. It just looks old and clumsy.

My system is running Debian testing (Cinnamon) + KXStudio repos.

Any idea what happened from yesterday to today?
cemorse
Established Member

Post by cemorse »

falkTX wrote:your lv2 path is wrong.
/opt/zyn-fusion/ZynAddSubFX.lv2 should be placed in either ~/.lv2 or /usr/lib/lv2/

I'm guessing you manually added /opt/zyn-fusion/ZynAddSubFX.lv2 to the lv2 folders for carla to scan, this is wrong.
I may well have added that path manually when first trying to get Zyn-Fusion up and running. Took out that entry and the errors no longer appear in the Carla log. Thanks,...

fwiw, I hadn't checked the carla log screen recently, so those errors were probably showing up ever since I installed the 3.0 version of Zyn even before my current crash problems which is probably unrelated to those errors.

Zyn-Fusion crash still occuring though... And since its been stable up until this mornings updates, something changed... may have been on the kxstudio side, maybe not.., will keep hunting...
thebutant
Established Member

Post by thebutant »

falkTX wrote:Qtractor changed from qt4 to qt5, so some theme changes likely happened there.
It has an option to set the preferred qt5 theme.
Aha. Thanks for the tip!
I will look into that.
(EDIT By the way: Where? Is it the Options -> Display -> Style Theme where one can choose between "Fusion" and "Windows" themes?)
falkTX wrote:As for carla, run it in a terminal and let me know the output.
Here's the output from running Carla in a terminal:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/share/carla/carla", line 22, in <module>
from carla_host import *
File "/usr/share/carla/carla_host.py", line 28, in <module>
from PyQt5.QtCore import qCritical, QFileInfo, QModelIndex, QPointF, QTimer
ImportError: No module named 'PyQt5'
thebutant
Established Member

Post by thebutant »

falkTX wrote:your qt5 only seem to have fusion and windows then, not even gtk...
fusion is good enough for most cases, certainly better than the qt windows style.
Yes, Fusion isn't too bad. Still, if there's a possibility for getting GTK, I will try to sort that out. After all, Qtractor is where I spend my days. :)
Thanks for letting me know!
falkTX wrote:regarding carla, please paste the output of:

dpkg -s carla-git | grep pyqt
Output is:
:~$ dpkg -s carla-git | grep pyqt
Depends: libasound2 (>= 1.0.16), libc6 (>= 2.15), libcairo2 (>= 1.10.0), libfontconfig1 (>= 2.9.0), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1), libgl1-mesa-glx | libgl1, libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.31. 8 ), libgtk-3-0 (>= 3.0.0), libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.24.0), libmagic1 (>= 5.12), libqt5core5a (>= 5.0.2), libqt5gui5 (>= 5.0.2) | libqt5gui5-gles (>= 5.0.2), libqt5widgets5 (>= 5.0.2), libqtcore4 (>= 4:4.8.0), libqtgui4 (>= 4:4.6.2), libstdc++6 (>= 4.8.1), libuuid1 (>= 2.16), libx11-6, libxft2 (>> 2.1.1), carla-data, python3-liblo, python3-pyqt4
Recommends: python3-rdflib, carla-lv2, carla-vst, mod-ui, python3-pyqt4.qtopengl
All the "recommends" packages are installed, by the way.
(but no "python3-pyqt5" packages. should they be?)
thebutant
Established Member

Post by thebutant »

falkTX wrote:please do a full system update and let me know if it works again.
Well, sudo apt-get dist-upgrade does nothing. Everything is updated.

I also tried comparing all qt5 related packages to those on a different computer running Mint 18. Everything (Carla + Qtractor (and Qtractor theming)) works like a charm on that one (which isn't mine), and all qt5 stuff looks similar.

Actually it turns out to be a bit worse than I thought:
Qtractor suddenly crashes for all kinds of stuff. The GUI of Calf plugins makes it crash immediately, it also tends to crash when I try to quit it. It's practically not usable at the moment. Or terribly unstable, at least.

I realize you have other things to do than helping me with this. Especially as it doesn't seem to affect most users. So know that I'm honestly grateful for your effort. Please stop whenever you have more important things to do.
thebutant
Established Member

Post by thebutant »

falkTX wrote:What distro are you using that has those issues?
I run Debian testing (Cinnamon) with KXStudio repos.
falkTX wrote:Here's a few commands you should run and report back please.

dpkg -l carla-git qtractor kxstudio-repos-gcc5
The output is:
:~$ dpkg -l carla-git qtractor kxstudio-repos-gcc5
Ønsket=Ukjent/Installer/Fjern/Rens ut/Hold tilbake
| Status=Ikke/Inst/Oppsettsfiler/Ikke pakket ut/HalvT-satt-opp/Halvt-inst/Ut-ventende
|/ Feil?=(ingen)/Må inst. på nytt (Status,Feil: versalar=dumt)
||/ Namn Versjon Arkitektur Skildring
+++-==============-============-============-=================================
ii carla-git 2:1.9.5~git2 amd64 audio plugin host
ii kxstudio-repos 9.4.1~zesty1 all KXStudio repositories (GCC5 Packa
ii qtractor 2:0.8.0-1kxs amd64 MIDI/Audio multi-track sequencer
:~$
It's in Norwegian, so maybe it's not that easy to understand.
"Status" says somthing like "Not/Inst/Configuration files/Not extracted/Half built/half-inst/Waiting"
Not too comforting.
In Debian testing there is an issue with Ardour, which prevents some of the kxstudio-meta packages to be installed (for instance kxstudio-meta-audio). Could I be missing something from one of those?

ls /etc/apt/sources.list.d/kxstudio-* | sort
[/quote]
The output is:
:~$ ls /etc/apt/sources.list.d/kxstudio-* | sort
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/kxstudio-debian.gcc5.list
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/kxstudio-debian.gcc5.list.save
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/kxstudio-debian.list
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/kxstudio-debian.list.save
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/kxstudio-debian.new.list
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/kxstudio-debian.new.list.save
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/kxstudio-debian-ubuntu-ubuntus-zesty.list
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/kxstudio-debian-ubuntu-ubuntus-zesty.list.save
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/kxstudio-free.gcc5.list
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/kxstudio-free.gcc5.list.save
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/kxstudio-free.list
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/kxstudio-free.list.save
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/kxstudio-non-free.gcc5.list
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/kxstudio-non-free.gcc5.list.save
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/kxstudio-non-free.list
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/kxstudio-non-free.list.save
thebutant
Established Member

Post by thebutant »

falkTX wrote:The output of the first command is not usable, it misses the full version number which is what I want...
Run it again, this time in a terminal with its window maximized.
Ah. Sorry. Here it is:
:~$ dpkg -l carla-git qtractor kxstudio-repos-gcc5
Ønsket=Ukjent/Installer/Fjern/Rens ut/Hold tilbake
| Status=Ikke/Inst/Oppsettsfiler/Ikke pakket ut/HalvT-satt-opp/Halvt-inst/Ut-ventende
|/ Feil?=(ingen)/Må inst. på nytt (Status,Feil: versalar=dumt)
||/ Namn Versjon Arkitektur Skildring
+++-==============================================================-==============
ii carla-git 2:1.9.5~git20161227.2 amd64 audio plugin host
ii kxstudio-repos-gcc5 9.4.1~zesty1 all KXStudio repositories (GCC5 Packages)
ii qtractor 2:0.8.0-1kxstudio1v5 amd64 MIDI/Audio multi-track sequencer application
thebutant
Established Member

Post by thebutant »

falkTX wrote:do a system packages update again (new carla build from a few hours ago), then try this:

sudo apt-get install carla-git=2:1.9.5~git20161231v5
I'll do that, it just hasn't reached me yet.

To be honest, Carla is not my main concern. Qtractor is what I need for work on monday.
But the problem with Qtractor seems to be qt/gtk related anyway. The 90's look of my Kid3-qt confirmed that something's not right in my qt departement. I guess the freezing of Calf GUIs is related to the same issue.

I tried to install the "qt5-style-plugins", as this package brings more qt themes + what looks like a GTK transition for QT. With this one (the gtk theme) installed, Qtractor wouldn't even open.

Anyway, it's new year's eve. Not the time for these worries.
Wish you a great night!
thebutant
Established Member

Post by thebutant »

falkTX wrote:If your qt5 build links to gtk3 for theming support it might be an issue.
Basically means loading a gtk2 based plugin ui will crash qtractor..

seems to be related to this https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=214147
Yes, I think you are right about that. As you often are. Good news is that it seems to an issue that will solve itself with some time and upgrades.
falkTX wrote:You can use the old qt4 build in the mean time (while debian testing still has the issue).
Grab the deb file at the end of this page: https://launchpad.net/~kxstudio-debian/ ... hive-extra
(either i386 or amd64 depending on what you use)
Thanks for the link! This one works perfectly. Then I'm saved, and it's not even 2017 yet.

:D