Impulse convolver/guitarix

Programming applications for making music on Linux.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

funkmuscle
Established Member

Re: Impulse convolver/guitarix

Post by funkmuscle »

hey brummer, check your private message on here... I sent you some info from a vst dev who is a friend of mine and he wants to help out...
he wants to to get in contact with him..
brummer

Post by brummer »

Thanks funkmuscle,

Yea, I will contact him, if he is willing to work on open source, it will be nice. :D

By the way, have you check out the last SVN version, it comes now with a MultiBand Distortion, 3 PassBands, with scalable frequency range, distortion and gain. :twisted:
The default setting for the low end is 250 hz. :)
for the high band it's 650 hz.
You can move the bands between 20 hz -> 1200 hz and set for every band a separate distortion / drive and gain.
So you can drive the high end hard and the middle band moderate, the low end soft (with higher gain for example). :mrgreen:
From beginning on there was the low/high pass and cut filters, special for remove the lowband when drive the distortion hard. That's why I include them to the distortion module instead make them a single plugin. But now, with the multiband distortion I think about to split them of to a single plug.
Last edited by brummer on Sat May 29, 2010 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

building it now... Yeah, my friend always wanted to work with open source.

I wanted to wait till you had a rocking tone coming out of guitarix and a great example of it like the youtube vid.
That got his attention..

EDIT: just tried it. the distortion sounds great, nice fat, but the over tone with and without the distortion has lost the edge, the crunch, that fat BigMuff kinda tone.
I also got a Eddie Van Halen tone before, that has lost it's bite..
brummer

Post by brummer »

witch version do you run before ?
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

one for yesterday or the day before... It sounds great but the edge, the attack I had is gone..
brummer

Post by brummer »

Ah, okay, there was only one other change related to the Sound, in the HighSelf Filter, I have set it back to the old parameters now.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

will try later and give you feedback
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

revision 705 and the edge, crunch and bite is back
brummer

Post by brummer »

Okay, great, that mean I have had set the HighSelfFilter witch we use as input filter to sharp, . .

Have you ever try the experimental flag during configure ?
The Experimental widget include the new upcoming preamp->tube->cab->tone-stack unit (by adegert), witch will properly replace the default used amp section, try it out to be welcome to the next level of crunchy metal sounds :twisted:
Also try the --optimization flag, for optimal low CPU usage .
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

brummer wrote: The Experimental widget include the new upcoming preamp->tube->cab->tone-stack unit (by adegert), witch will properly replace the default used amp section, try it out to be welcome to the next level of crunchy metal sounds :twisted:
Also try the --optimization flag, for optimal low CPU usage .
Hey, that is awesome... I've tried it but you said I couldn't build it with the --optimization.. I liked it.

You said: preamp->tube->cab->tone-stack...
that is perfect if you have an on/off switch for the cab where when it's off, you can route the signal directly to the convolver to try different cabs....
so that way you can use guitarix cab or IR file cabs... The only thing is the guitarix cab will need to be off when using IR files...
would that be possible??
brummer

Post by brummer »

funkmuscle wrote:that is perfect if you have an on/off switch for the cab where when it's off,
Sure, :lol:
And please try the --optimization flag and report issues, if there, this flag will build guitarix optimized for "your" PC also, if there are issues, I must change some settings in it.

greats
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

funkmuscle wrote:
Hey, that is awesome... I've tried it but you said I couldn't build it with the --optimization.. I liked it.
sorry, it does build with --optimization and runs really well.

I meant to say with --experimental flag, you said that we couldn't use it with --optimization flag..
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

Something completely different: brummer, is it possible to enable donating on the Guitarix SourceForge page?

Best,

Jeremy
brummer

Post by brummer »

funkmuscle wrote:I meant to say with --experimental flag, you said that we couldn't use it with --optimization flag..
That is fixed already, it works now.
AutoStatic wrote:Something completely different: brummer, is it possible to enable donating on the Guitarix SourceForge page?

Best,

Jeremy
Hi Jeremy
It's possible, sure, but . . . . . . , a donation button, don't know. . .mmm , . . . Let's see what the future brings, . . .
EDIT:// Think long about your effort and forget to say thanks, but at least I must say, I don't wont receive donations by now :) , okay I need some money that's true, but if one will support guitarix, donations could go to faust, that's the base of the guitarix source and a real important project, were guitarix is only a derivation of it.

by the way, I have check in SVN a new MultiClient structure (guitarix_amp -> guitarix_fx) witch allow to include other jack app's (for example Rakarrack or jack-rack) in the effect chain between amp and convolver. That's only the first introduction and may be change next time.

greats brummer
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

Hello Brummer,

That's ok, I understand. I was doing a donation round (end of May we receive a bonus at work) that included guitarix. I will check out Faust then. And the SVN trunk ;)