guitar amp/cab sims with impulse response loading

Programming applications for making music on Linux.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

brummer

Post by brummer »

hi

so I look a little bit around and I find freeverb3. It's a pluginlibary with included impulse response. :D
And you can get it also as jack-client.
http://freeverb3.sourceforge.net/

If you download the source and build it, you need to configure it with --enable-jack option. Then you find, after the build process(make), fv3_impulser_jack in freeverb3-2.2.1/samples. start it like that: /path/to/fv3_impulser_jack /path/to/oooh.wav -m 0 (or 1 for fast)
you can connect the port's in qjackctl for example guitarix_out to freeverb3_impulser_XXX_in.

try it.
brummer
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

nice brummer. I will try that as I did install freverb3 but never knew how to use it.
I can't wait for nore updates for guitarix. I think it will help a lot of guitar players using linux.

fv3 loaded the ir,wav file but I have no control over the sound so the tone is fuzzy.

Have you tried the links I gave at the start of this thread? If you hear the results from using Voxengo Boogex or keFIR, you'll hear the difference..

listen to this: Raw preamp signal (very fizzy/buzzy, but this to be expected because it's the speakers that clean up all the fizz/buzz) http://bittwiddlers.org/ftp/jim/clips/i ... signal.mp3

Miked sample direct from the gear (normalized to -3dB) http://bittwiddlers.org/ftp/jim/clips/i ... lized).mp3

Impulsed sample clip (normalized to -3dB) http://bittwiddlers.org/ftp/jim/clips/i ... lized).mp3

got it working after a lot of guess work to adjust the settings.
where did you find the documents for freeverb3?
brummer

Post by brummer »

morning

oh. I look inside the code :wink:
I think about to add suport for freeverb3 to guitarix, so that you can load freeverb3 as plugin in guitarix. This way it is posible to add "on the fly seetings", a playlist for the ir-files and sliders for the gain and impulse-level.

here is a small patch to impulse_jack.cpp

Code: Select all

while(1) sleep(1); 
jack_client_close(client);
delete ir;
exit(0);
replace with

Code: Select all

char c;
while ((c = getchar()) != 'q') {
  jack_client_close(client);
  delete ir;
  exit(0);
}
than you can clean close fv3_impulser_jack with enter 'q' to the commandline.

ps: I can't listen to your first example, the player find no streem. I like your last example most, that's like my style to play.

brummer
Last edited by brummer on Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

the last sample is the guitar preamp tone(fuzzy), passing through the impulse response...
thanx for the impulse_jack patch.

yeah, the guitar playing is some what my style too but that's not me playing, that a dude giving the example of how accurate impulse response are.

that would be cool adding freeverb3 to the guitarix so the ir_files can be loaded and controlled with the sliders.
brummer

Post by brummer »

hi

new version is out. http://lists.linuxaudio.org/pipermail/l ... 54746.html
I've add suport for jack_capture from Kjetil S. Matheussen. If yo dont have it installed look here:
http://old.notam02.no/arkiv/src/?M=D
So now you can capture your session by press the record button. Stop record by press the button again. Choose the file format (wav, ogg, mp3) from the menu.
Keep in mind that guitarix dont have any encoders included. You need the vorbis-tools and/or lame for encoding.
New are the feedback/feedforward filter, this one is perfekt to set the "presure" from your sound.
Also new are the nogui options, (switch from nogui to gui and back, change preset, . . )see helpfile for more information.
https://brain.kicks-ass.org/~hermann/guitarfx.html
What's bad ? yes, the new version will break your saved presets, you need to remove then or you get unwanted results.
And I remove the colerfull skin with a more clear interface paint only with gtk funktions. Maybee I set it up again in future version's ?
That's it for now, now I will look to freeverb3 and choose what to do. I get not only nice results with freeverb3, the sound runing out of controll when I use great impulse files, the cpu useage can get real high, so maybee I have to look for a other sulution. How work freeverb3 for you, do you feel right with it ?

greatings brummer
studio32

Post by studio32 »

Wow, your own app! :) Congrats!

I'll take a look at it soon
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

will definitely try the latest version.
yep I had the same issues with freeverb3. It's crashes with great impulse files.
I had it working with smaller files but then when I tried to record with Ardour, cpu usage hits 100% and freezes.

I don't know what keFIR or the Voog thing uses but the get zero latency and very low cpu usage. I can record them using Ardour but being vsts, they crash at the worse time.

Hopefully you can fine a fix for it.

Here is the reason keFIR handles impulse responses well... I took this from a write up on kerFIR:

Piotr ‘Habib’ Pyrzanowski releases keFIR
Apr192007
Related: donationware, effect plugins, filter, Piotr 'Habib' Pyrzanowski // Posted in news
Piotr 'Habib' Pyrzanowski keFIR VST

Piotr ‘Habib’ Pyrzanowski has released keFIR, a zero latency, mono FIR filter plug-in effect.

Features

* Based on impulse responses loaded from wave files
* Filter length can be adjusted to maximum of 8K taps
* Mix control for mixing input with output
* Gain control for setting output volume level
* Length control for setting filter length (you can also set the length by clicking right mouse button on impulse response)

Adjusting filter length will linearly affect CPU usage, more taps used require more CPU power. You can optimize it by choosing proper filter length, for example some amp cabinet impulse responses have long tail of ‘almost zero’ coefficients which can be shortened without audible difference, to save some extra CPU cycles.
brummer

Post by brummer »

hi funkmuscle

yeh, there is a new star on the horizont, it is jack himself :D
jack have a tool included for that purpose. It's jack_impulse_grabber, I will focus on that and will find out how to use it.

greatings brummer
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

sweet dude... How do you find these things? I will look into it too.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Hey brummer, can you explain pre-state to me?
it's in the description of guitarfix.
brummer

Post by brummer »

hey funkmuscle

with pre-state I meen it is'nt realy ready tu use. It is a first include stadium, I will work on this effekt to make it more useable.
You know that I am not happy with the ImpulseResponse how it work now :)
At the moment I am a little burned out and make a break on the work with guitarix, I use my garden sit in the sun and let my brain `fly` around :twisted:
When I have new power I will improve ImpulseResponse to what I (and mabee you) wont that it is.

greatings brummer
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Get some rest brother. I must take a lot out of you to be that busy with these apps.
brummer

Post by brummer »

Hi funkmuscle

Start again with my work on guitarix, first I have add a preamp, so next version it's posible to play it with low gain input.
and look around for Impulse Responce I found jconv from Fons Adriaensen
http://www.kokkinizita.net/linuxaudio/d ... index.html
Make first test's and I like it. :)
Do you ever try it ?
If not, try it. You need first to build and install the zita-convolver and need a installed libclthreads-dev. Jconv comes with some example config files were you can see how it work to load the impulse file.

greats brummer
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

good to have you back in action. I did try to install jconv but it wouldn't build. That was months ago. I will try it again.
brummer

Post by brummer »

Hi

you need first build and install zita-convolver, and I need to edit
the makefile uncomend line 30 CPPFLAGS += -DNOAMBIS=1
also you need libcltreads-dev (it's a standart lib in most repostorys).
I get best results when I edit the demo-config's and set my jack-frame-rate as partition. Also the maxsize is sometime to high for my system and I set it down (erease the last number :) )
Then it work realy stable and light in CPU and mem useage.

greats brummer