guitar amp/cab sims with impulse response loading

Programming applications for making music on Linux.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

funkmuscle
Established Member

Re: guitar amp/cab sims with impulse response loading

Post by funkmuscle »

dunno what happened but tried it now and it worked.... the distortion is sounding better....I'm likikng it more now...
brummer

Post by brummer »

yea,
now you can get good distortions in different levels. For example try a low trigger rate (0,06) and a low virato (0,12) with a drive (0.20) or lower and adjust the distortion gain to (8). Also set the lowcut to (90) or lower (30). enable the echo to %(30) time (600). Get a nice blues/jazz/soul guitar.
If you need more bass, set the highpass lower (90 -30).
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

I could see guitarix being up there with the Windows vst... that would be amazing so we never have to rely on Windows...
Tell mauser not to port this to Windows until windows developers start supporting and port their software our way. Or at least releasing the code.
I sorry I'm bitter about windows developers but when ever I ask them about linux, they say we're not interested..
brummer

Post by brummer »

morning funkmuscle

hey, there is no reason to be bitter. :twisted: We all have the freedom of speck.
I know many people say there are mutch more and better applications for musicians on windows out there, but I dont agree with that. Maybe more, but better ? I dont think so. By the way, I HATE THE STEINBERG LICENCE, I NEVER WILL USE IT OR AGGREE WITH IT. IT'S LIKE A STONE IN THE WHEEL.

Okay, windows-vst is'nt on my roadmap, next step is to add a LADSPA host to guitarix, but you know, you can load the most vst's with dssi-vst to LADSPA. So at least there will be vst suport in guitarix. :lol:
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

oh yeah, I've been using dssi-vst and fst and I do agree, windows have more apps but not better... Hydrogen, Ardour, and Jack...and soon guitarix...they rival any windows apps.
But with apps like jconv and guitarix, no need for vsts because I like LADSPA pluigins.

No, the reason is that the app will start on linux, gets ported to windows and the windows version gets more attention.
LMMS, I was hoping it would rock at the latest version. My kid uses linux and I wanted her to use LMMS, well, it pops, crashes etc. My wife uses XP, installed LMMS on there and it rocks on windows...
I've tried thta app on so many linux distros and no different.

Enough complaining from me, just keep up the great work guys. I can't do what you guys do but I can test the apps.
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

brummer, I will try out the latest code. Thanks for keeping us up to date.
Now, Mauser is joining ? sounds cool, he and Wolke are pushing hydrogen forward :)

It's nice you have it now in svn. I was wondering when this would happen :D

about the windows vs linux, if your code is available for free (e.g. GPL), you will not be able to prevent anyone to port it to where he/she sees it fit. But windows being used by 85-90% of PC users, they tend to overshadow the stage ... but I have the feeling that it's like the car culture. When drivers run out of crap fuel, they have to change or adapt or just bitch about their useless car :lol:
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

well put thorgal. I can't wait for the day the linux is respected but the DAW world...
Windows has it's fan base, Mac currently rules the world in that department but soon, very soon, Linux will be respected.
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

I understand what you say, funkmuscle. However, linux is still young in this domain. It can only mature. When I release my double-album (and I still have a long way before this happens), I hope the quality I am ambitioning for it will demonstrate that linux is on par with other DAW systems. But again, I am not really driven by this aspect. Had I been a windows user from the start (which I never was), I would have probably used windows ;) We tend to use what we know ...
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

yeah, I didn't know anything about computers(still don't) but I started with 3 pcs and 3 OSes. I friend gave them all to me and said figure it out.
it was Solaris7, Redhat5.2 and Window98.... So I learn all 3 at the same time and by far, linux was the best because of the support and ease of use IMO...
So I had the advantage of not coming from one but from a few to picking linux....
double album.....let us know when it's ready...
brummer

Post by brummer »

torgal wrote:Now, Mauser is joining ? sounds cool, he and Wolke are pushing hydrogen forward :)

It's nice you have it now in svn. I was wondering when this would happen :D
Yep, he send me a mail short after our talk about the midi cc implementation, and he will spend some time to guitarix, he will port his hydrogen(QT) midi cc classes to guitarix (GTK). :D That's realy nice, so I can focus more on write a ladspa host for guitarix.
Yep and mauser have create the svn repostory for guitarix, so we can work together on the source. But still his main projekt is hydrogen. :wink:

So your double album will be welcome, maybe you wont to spend us a single from out there first ? 8)
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

thx 4 guitarix-0.03.0 :-) great

OT: np: FZ - the chrome plated megaphone of destiny
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

hey brummer, is it possible to get tube like distortion from the preamp section without having to use the distortion section?
so in other words, like an amp overdrive section, then the distortion added for more crunch...
brummer

Post by brummer »

khz wrote:thx 4 guitarix-0.03.0 :-) great
thanks khz, you are welcome :)
khz wrote:hey brummer, is it possible to get tube like distortion from the preamp section without having to use the distortion section?
so in other words, like an amp overdrive section, then the distortion added for more crunch...
I am working now on the ladspa host, so you will get access to all ladspa plugins include tube amp overdrive and all the other's. I am not sure if it make sence to create a own build in tube preamp when you can get the C* PreampIII. :D
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

great brummer, keep it up :D
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

I am not sure if it make sence to create a own build in tube preamp when you can get the C* PreampIII.
Maybe not but I was thinking of guitarix as a standalone as GuitarRig, ReValver, and Amplitube...
That way the user can tune in his/her amp tone he/she favours (I'm Canadian so I spell favour the right way..hehehe), then dress it up with distortion, etc.
That way it may be less stress on the cpu. Like in Ardour, the more plugins, the harder the cpu works. I read that at the briansbedroom.com site.
Also, as a standalone, it turns the computer into an amp. I have a friend that gigs that way. He uses his laptop as his amp running Amplitube, controls it with a midi pedal, plugs it into the mixer and and he's set. :wink: