guitar amp/cab sims with impulse response loading

Programming applications for making music on Linux.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

thorgal
Established Member

Re: guitar amp/cab sims with impulse response loading

Post by thorgal »

I'll investigate more tonight. I am not sure why the jconv script produced by guitarix does not work for me. If I replace it with mine, it works, until I modify anything from guitarix, in which case your template will overwrite my imported script. This is weird. Maybe it has to do with the copy function or the max size. I will play with each of them. I also think that it would be a plus if you could provide "advanced settings" for freeverb and (if you want to add it) gverb. Any way you can control guitarix with a MIDI pedal ? the cry-baby would be useless otherwise :) About the distorsion, yeah, an advanced setting giving the user the possibility to adjust the low and high pass filters.

Thanks for the feedback. I understand you want it to be small, intuitive and fast running. I think that the default (non advanced) GUI is reaching this. However, you are perfectly aware that any guitar player will fiddle around a lot more than the default setup ;)
brummer

Post by brummer »

You can use your own jconv script's together with guitarix presets, for example when you save a preset in guitarix and call it "Rock", this will produce a jconv_rock.conf script in ~/.guitarix. This one you can replace with your script. Now, when you load Rock in guitarix it will load your script and give it to jconv. When you go to jconv settings it will overwrite by guitarix, but just load Rock again to use your srcipt again.
But anyway, I am highly interresstet why it dont work for you, if you find the "bug" please let me know.

Yeh, no midi cc, . . . it's also a point that I need to work out. I hope I can find some interesstet programers/guitarieoros to work together on it. I have write a lot of comments in the Code to make it easy to jump in. :mrgreen:

regards brummer
brummer

Post by brummer »

and for controll, this is a jconv sript produced by guitarix witch work here well, . . .

Code: Select all

/cd /home/hermann/Projekte/freeverb/freeverb3-2.2.1/samples/IR
/convolver/new    2    2   128  8000 
/impulse/read    1  1   0.1     0       0       0     1  small_wood_chamber.wav
/impulse/copy    2  2   1  1
# /home/hermann/Projekte/freeverb/freeverb3-2.2.1/samples/IR/small_wood_chamber.wav
is here a diff exept the path ?
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

the biggest factor is definitely the maxsize. 8000 is way too small and cuts most of the hall effect. I just set it to 200000 and that's just fine.

The other thing is the copy function. It kills a stereo effect. However, I am not sure this stereo effect is intentional when you don't copy but use the same IR file on the other channel. I noticed a difference in volume in the left speaker which makes me think that this is not intentional. The copy function is really copying. You get a pure mono signal.

Anyway, maxsize. Make it settable (if that's english :) ) and that should be fine.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

hey guys, guitarix, jconv and jack_convolve run on 64 bit?
I use jconv with guitarix and jack_convolve when I run my preamp through my soundcard but I want to upgrade my pc to 64 bit but I just wanna know if the app are capable of running on 64 bit.
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

I never used a 64bit system but I don't see why it would not work. Many jack users run their stuff on 64 bit systems. You may have difficulties with VSTs but who cares ?
brummer

Post by brummer »

I also never used a 64bit system but guitarix will run on it. :) and jconv also, I think.

Thanks torgal, I have add to the jconv settings widget now : choose mem max size(1000 - 200000), choose between /impuls/copy and /impulse/read, and you can set down the partition to 64.

Now I will work out the extended setting widgets for the effekts.
A update will come soon.

regards brummer
brummer

Post by brummer »

so update with the new jconv settings is out.

https://sourceforge.net/project/showfil ... _id=236234

regards brummer
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

works great, thanks :)

one thing though: the jconv gain is not persistent and goes back to 0 each time you want to change something else in the jconv setting. Could you make the gain persistent across settings ? Thx!

Now, the next update that would be nice is "advanced settings" for all stuff because you hardcoded a few parameters here and there :)

Then, the after next update will be MIDI control :)

Then the after after next update will be to turn it into an LV2, DSSI, LADSPA host :)

Then you can make ppl pay for it ;)

Just joking, but the advanced setting and MIDI would be cool!
brummer

Post by brummer »

Hi torgal, thank you
:D
torgal wrote:one thing though: the jconv gain is not persistent and goes back to 0 each time you want to change something else in the jconv setting. Could you make the gain persistent across settings ? Thx!
ups, here they are persistent :?: hmm, do you try to make your settings by scroll the mousewheel ? Did it only happend when the combobox pop over the gain-chooser spin button ?
torgal wrote:Then, the after next update will be MIDI control :)
8) Yeh, I get a new hopefull message for this staff, but for now it is too early to talk about.
torgal wrote:Then the after after next update will be to turn it into an LV2, DSSI, LADSPA host :)
It seems you read my goal's :mrgreen:
But I think there will be some more update's between, the host implementation I have planed for version 1.0 soooo . .
torgal wrote:Then you can make ppl pay for it ;)
Thats the only point I have not planed.

but the "advanced settings" comming soon. :)
brummer
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

Hi brummer,

each time I click on the jconv setting button, to pop up the jconv setting window, the gain is shown at 0. When I want to change say an IR file, I also have to change the gain back to what i set it to formerly. Whether I use the mouse wheel or type the value, it does not matter. As soon as I close the setting window and make it pop up again, the shown gain is 0.

I have another comment, which is more conceptual :

while your jconv integration is functional, I don't think this is used the right way. One would rather use it as the receiver of a "send". This means that the main signal (before jconv) should still flow directly to the final output ports. The signal sent to jconv should be adjustable (send gain fader) but the clean signal should still be there at the end. You want to mix (up to taste) clean and IR treated signals. If you have used sends in ardour, you should easily understand what I mean.
brummer

Post by brummer »

torgal wrote:The signal sent to jconv should be adjustable (send gain fader) but the clean signal should still be there at the end. You want to mix (up to taste) clean and IR treated signals. If you have used sends in ardour, you should easily understand what I mean.
absolutely :D
I have just include that. Now there is a gainslider for jconv. Guitarix build/delet two new jack-ports when you start/stop jconv, you can set the gain to jconv on the fly now. Jconv will connected parallel to the output from guitarix so you can easy mix it up :D

to "the jconv gain is not persistent . . . " I found two points where I could optimize the Code, but I cant reproduce that behaver sooo . . . next update will show if it helps.

regards brummer
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

great!! keep it up :D
brummer

Post by brummer »

Hi

so here is guitarix with a wet/dry fader. Now you can mix the output from guitarix and jconv to your need's.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/guitarix/
Also I set the pixmap theme as default theme, you can change the rc-style with parameter's to guitarix, run "guitarix -help" for more information.

torgal, please let me know if the jconf gain set is now persistent for you ?

regards brummer
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

yeah, once jconv and jack_convolve gets a gui, bye, bye vst....
How do you guys use the large IR files? I get crazy xruns and the sound cannot be used but when I load the file in a vst IR loader, no issues.
I have the awesome sounding Marshall IR and it only works with the vst loaders and crazy xruns with jack_convole or jconv. So the reverb files are larger so how on earth do you guys use them?